News Article: Bentley Admin halts major road project

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I agree this is Bush league, but this quote from the article made me chuckle.

“It’s not something we’ve made a habit of doing, but in this case we felt like the billboard was simply a step too far,” Cooper replied. “If Sen. Holtzclaw feels that strongly about taxes, we felt certain he would not like a lot of tax money being spent in his District.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
so when are they finally going to connect corrdor x/I22 to i-65 just north of bham. last time i was through, it looked like they were working on the interchange with i65

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The road work on 280 is a joke. Who in their right mind would design a road that has no left turn at a major intersection but a double lane u-turn (1/2 block ahead) followed by a double lane right turn at the same intersection as the,'No left turn'? Imo whomever designed that was not smarter than a 5th grader!

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
He should halt his tax plan. I'm beginning to think the infrastructure talk is a joke. Tuscaloosa is an embarrassment. McFarland is a parking lot. 359 is being repaved and it is already horrible. Downtown is pathetic. Surely there is a way to fund these projects rather than planting dang azaleas.
359 is having to be repaved after being repaved about a year ago. Terrible quality work. If you want to test out your suspension, cruise down 359.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
359 is having to be repaved after being repaved about a year ago. Terrible quality work. If you want to test out your suspension, cruise down 359.
Speaking of Corridor X, your post reminded me of this. Birmingham is having to rip up and replace pavement on the only road that connects 65 to Corridor X before it was really even used. I blew out a tire hitting a pot hole on Coalburg last year.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/11/coalburg_road_test_results_sho.html

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The road work on 280 is a joke. Who in their right mind would design a road that has no left turn at a major intersection but a double lane u-turn (1/2 block ahead) followed by a double lane right turn at the same intersection as the,'No left turn'? Imo whomever designed that was not smarter than a 5th grader!
Yeah, there are a few stores on 280 that I just don't go to anymore because it's too much of a pain in the butt to get there.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Speaking of Corridor X, your post reminded me of this. Birmingham is having to rip up and replace pavement on the only road that connects 65 to Corridor X before it was really even used. I blew out a tire hitting a pot hole on Coalburg last year.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/11/coalburg_road_test_results_sho.html
i got lost as crap trying to circumvent that construction on coalburg last year. i came through at night and missed one of the 3x5 postcard detour signs that they had put out. that was a rough night as they detoured me through downtown jasper as well repairing that section right around where it crosses hwy 69 i think. added about 1.5 hours to my trip

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
i got lost as crap trying to circumvent that construction on coalburg last year. i came through at night and missed one of the 3x5 postcard detour signs that they had put out. that was a rough night as they detoured me through downtown jasper as well repairing that section right around where it crosses hwy 69 i think. added about 1.5 hours to my trip
Forgot that portion of the interstate is so old it's needing to be repaved again. Too bad Omalley's is no more a respite to weary travelers going through Jasper :)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Good news: For those who travel on Hwy 25 between Harpersville and Pell City, the (CSX overpass) bridge near Vincent Elementary school is finally being replaced. The narrow width of that bridge has made it a deathtrap in waiting for a lot of years.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
And do what instead? The budget shortfall won't go away. What services do you want to cut?
I might, I don't know, revamp the entire tax code. I'd also allow the citizens the choice in voting for legalization of gambling, recreational drugs, lottery etc. If I had a tax in my state it would be a flat or fair tax. Just because it might be tough doesn't allow him off the hook. Leaders lead. He's a puddin for reneging on his word.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
I might, I don't know, revamp the entire tax code. I'd also allow the citizens the choice in voting for legalization of gambling, recreational drugs, lottery etc. If I had a tax in my state it would be a flat or fair tax. Just because it might be tough doesn't allow him off the hook. Leaders lead. He's a puddin for reneging on his word.
That would be nice, I agree. How much revenue would they generate by hiking property taxes .1%? How much pressure could they take off the poor and middle class by exempting groceries from sales tax? Of course, Riley tried a major overhaul, and we saw how that turned out. Grover Norquist and his hoard of flying monkeys descended on the state and scared it into voting no, supported by the same people who had just put Riley in office.

And with the recent revelations that Mike Hubbard has completely mismanaged his personal finances, is it any wonder that the state budget is hosed?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That would be nice, I agree. How much revenue would they generate by hiking property taxes .1%? How much pressure could they take off the poor and middle class by exempting groceries from sales tax? Of course, Riley tried a major overhaul, and we saw how that turned out. Grover Norquist and his hoard of flying monkeys descended on the state and scared it into voting no, supported by the same people who had just put Riley in office.

And with the recent revelations that Mike Hubbard has completely mismanaged his personal finances, is it any wonder that the state budget is hosed?
Keep in mind that the state and local governments have already raised a significant amount of additional revenue through the annual reappraisal of property values:

http://alfafarmers.org/stories/publ...ual-reappraisals-will-increase-property-taxes

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Keep in mind that the state and local governments have already raised a significant amount of additional revenue through the annual reappraisal of property values:

http://alfafarmers.org/stories/publ...ual-reappraisals-will-increase-property-taxes
Yes, raising property taxes by any other name because that was one of the few things Riley could do on his own. He caught flak for even doing that. And yes, I've seen my property taxes go up. Slightly. An additional .1% would make them go up slightly more.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yes, raising property taxes by any other name because that was one of the few things Riley could do on his own. He caught flak for even doing that. And yes, I've seen my property taxes go up. Slightly. An additional .1% would make them go up slightly more.
That was also a double-edged sword. It was swell when everything was going up in value. Not sure about statewide but property appraisals around where I live have tanked.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.