News Article: Bentley Admin halts major road project

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've already told my representative to stay the course.

Seems like Holtzclaw should seek extortion or racketeering charges against Bentley. Bentley needs to go -- he's an oathbreaker of the first order.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Surely Bentley can be impeached for one or more of the following:

Willful neglect of duty[SUP]i[/SUP]; corruption in office; incompetency; intemperance (intoxicating liquors or narcotics); offense of moral turpitude while in office[SUP]ii
[/SUP](Ala. Code, Const. Art. VII, § 173)

Dr. Keith

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2006
Like the article pointed out, this is nothing new. I am shocked that it is so out in the open. Wallace was a pro at this and similar tactics but I don't recall reading any stories about it being done out in the open. Maybe I'm just not reading the correct stories about Wallace. Lol

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I am sure there are plenty of you that recall the wonderful fool of a governor who wouldnt approve funds for Jefferson County to build I65. So we got off and Gardendale and too hiway31 thru downtown and got back on I65 south of Homewood at the beginning of Shelby county. Walllace didnt like the way politicians voted against him in Jefferson County. And to think he was elected a couple of time and even his wife ran and the citizen elected her. No wonder people laughed at Alabama. So who knows what will happen with this mess.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
We'll find out today. Bentley said that his plan would not involve ballot initiatives; thanks to the nightmare that is the AL constitution, that drastically limits his options, so it's not like he's going to try for anything as radical (or sane) as Riley's tax reform package.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
"An oathbreaker of the first order"? Really?
First, let's look at his salary. Although the pay scale calls for him to receive an annual salary of $121,000, Bentley has never drawn a salary as Governor of Alabama. That's a promise he's kept since his election in 2010.
Second, he's brought in approx 115,000 new jobs.
He talked Wrangler into rebuilding their Hackleburg plant which was demolished in the tornadoes of April 27,2011. He also established the Governors Emergency Relief Fund to aid victims of those tornadoes all across the state.
He secured a new contract with Airbus to build aircraft in Mobile.
He convinced Remington Arms to build their plant here in Alabama (which now builds the Bushmaster AR MSR rifles and their 1911 series pistol) which was formerly in Illion, NY.
He's also been at the forefront of efforts to keep Obamacare out of Alabama.

Sure, the economy isn't exactly rebounding, but that's a national matter, not a state matter. And you know who is to blame for national economics. He never said he'd "never raise taxes", but he's done a lot in keeping that at bay. Sometimes though it becomes necessary.
I can look at other states around to see what their governors are doing and the comparisons between them and Bentley confirm to me that he's one of the best governors this state has had in a long time.
JMHO

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
"An oathbreaker of the first order"? Really?
First, let's look at his salary. Although the pay scale calls for him to receive an annual salary of $121,000, Bentley has never drawn a salary as Governor of Alabama. That's a promise he's kept since his election in 2010.
Second, he's brought in approx 115,000 new jobs.
He talked Wrangler into rebuilding their Hackleburg plant which was demolished in the tornadoes of April 27,2011. He also established the Governors Emergency Relief Fund to aid victims of those tornadoes all across the state.
He secured a new contract with Airbus to build aircraft in Mobile.
He convinced Remington Arms to build their plant here in Alabama (which now builds the Bushmaster AR MSR rifles and their 1911 series pistol) which was formerly in Illion, NY.
He's also been at the forefront of efforts to keep Obamacare out of Alabama.

Sure, the economy isn't exactly rebounding, but that's a national matter, not a state matter. And you know who is to blame for national economics. He never said he'd "never raise taxes", but he's done a lot in keeping that at bay. Sometimes though it becomes necessary.
I can look at other states around to see what their governors are doing and the comparisons between them and Bentley confirm to me that he's one of the best governors this state has had in a long time.
JMHO
This article pretty much sums up my thoughts/opinion of Bentley:

http://yellowhammernews.com/politic...ncompetent-lying-budget-shortfall-revelation/

On his program Thursday morning, Murphy began by laying out how he views Bentley’s rise from the state house to the governor’s office, before going on to say the governor’s recent moves have proven him to be either untrustworthy or not up to the job.

So the governor campaigns on job creation and no new taxes in 2010. He slips in there, even though there are some questions about his relationship with AEA… Then he slips in there and becomes governor and he’s like, “No new taxes, absolutely not, not going to do it,” for four years, seeing the budgets. He sees the figures for four years. Then all throughout the (re-election) campaign… he’s saying, “No new taxes, no new taxes.” And then we’re getting close to the election and he’s saying, “No new taxes.”… I do not believe that after the election he suddenly became aware of the significance of this (budget shortfall)… You’re either ignorant of the job you’ve been tasked to do, or you’re not telling me the truth.
At a minimum, he should be tarred and feathered and thrown out of office for gross incompetence/negligence.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm having to replace a cracked wheel due to Birmingham potholes.
The major work they just did on 280 already has holes in it, some the size of a casserole dish.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
sounds like the quality of road work they do in georgia
The work they did on I-65 south of Pelham is holding up great, at least in one section. Another section has little holes in the line in between the lanes.
On 280, I don't know whether they mixed asphalt on too cold a day or used too much sand or what, but whatever it was, it is awful.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
He should halt his tax plan. I'm beginning to think the infrastructure talk is a joke. Tuscaloosa is an embarrassment. McFarland is a parking lot. 359 is being repaved and it is already horrible. Downtown is pathetic. Surely there is a way to fund these projects rather than planting dang azaleas.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I read and hear about how road work and infrastructure are in need of repair or upgrade, and then I see lots of improvements being done. Some major, and some minor, but still, work is being done all around where I live and travel. Maybe some here don't see as much as I do, perhaps because they don't travel as widely or as frequently as I. I see it all around me, so I prefer to believe what I see over what I read.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The work they did on I-65 south of Pelham is holding up great, at least in one section. Another section has little holes in the line in between the lanes.
On 280, I don't know whether they mixed asphalt on too cold a day or used too much sand or what, but whatever it was, it is awful.
they repaved the connector south of i-20 maybe two years ago and within 6 months, there were small holes in the seams.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
A summary of the tax hikes can be found here:

http://yellowhammernews.com/politic...Bentley_E2_80_99s+_24700+million+revenue+plan

Two items to note:

+ The sales tax on car sales would double (from 2% up to 4%). This is ironic given that we represent ourselves as being friendly to auto manufacturing.

+ Exemptions would be eliminated for state income tax withholding purposes. I believe this means no more claim of exemptions in order to reduce the income tax withheld by your employer regardless of the size of the refund you would ultimately receive as a result. In other words, the government has more of a right to earn money off of your money than you do.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.