News Article: Bentley Admin halts major road project

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yes, raising property taxes by any other name because that was one of the few things Riley could do on his own. He caught flak for even doing that. And yes, I've seen my property taxes go up. Slightly. An additional .1% would make them go up slightly more.
But shouldn't we ask, "What happened to the hundreds of millions of dollars in additional revenue that has been raised, especially since the government is now demanding hundreds of millions of dollars in even more revenue?"

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
That would be nice, I agree. How much revenue would they generate by hiking property taxes .1%? How much pressure could they take off the poor and middle class by exempting groceries from sales tax? Of course, Riley tried a major overhaul, and we saw how that turned out. Grover Norquist and his hoard of flying monkeys descended on the state and scared it into voting no, supported by the same people who had just put Riley in office.

And with the recent revelations that Mike Hubbard has completely mismanaged his personal finances, is it any wonder that the state budget is hosed?

just wondering, do you have figures for proof that raising it .1% would be a significant increase in revenue. I tried a quick search and could not find the exact value of all the real estate or real property of Alabama. I sorta wanted to play with the numbers to see what increases would raise what revenue. Also, does anybody know how Alabama compares to other states, and if this would drive off business.

Dr. Keith

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2006
just wondering, do you have figures for proof that raising it .1% would be a significant increase in revenue. I tried a quick search and could not find the exact value of all the real estate or real property of Alabama. I sorta wanted to play with the numbers to see what increases would raise what revenue. Also, does anybody know how Alabama compares to other states, and if this would drive off business.
Every local jurisdiction has an individual property tax. The state tax rate is 6.9 mills per dollar of assessed value. The assessed value is found by applying the correct assessment ratio to the appraised value. Considering only the state level property tax- research suggests that per capita property tax collections can be tripled and Alabama would still be below the national average. For more detailed information check "A Legislator's Guide to Alabama Taxes."

From a fairness prospective, property taxes are also regressive. However, they are generally believed to be less regressive than sales taxes. Depends on the structure of each tax.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.