Illegal man downfield rule getting some resistance from some coaches.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
And now we have THIS from Gus - "I'm not into anything that takes the creativity out of the game. You know, you see a lot of coaches around the country, specifically high school coaches that are coaching in college, that's very important to them."

It's crystal clear to me that gus' definition of creativity is deception without regard to the rules of the game. As others have pointed out, he just rolls with the risk/reward gamble and teaches this crap hoping/knowing that it will not be flagged the majority of the time. He, and those that think like him, believe gadget and deception are a substitute for fundamentals and disciplined play. The good news is that he is wrong. It is not going to work long term and is no better than putting air in a flat tire and thinking it is fixed.
Not that I needed anymore reasons to dislike auburn, but this to me is "prostituting" the game and I despise it.

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
And now we have THIS from Gus - "I'm not into anything that takes the creativity out of the game. You know, you see a lot of coaches around the country, specifically high school coaches that are coaching in college, that's very important to them."

It's crystal clear to me that gus' definition of creativity is deception without regard to the rules of the game. As others have pointed out, he just rolls with the risk/reward gamble and teaches this crap hoping/knowing that it will not be flagged the majority of the time. He, and those that think like him, believe gadget and deception are a substitute for fundamentals and disciplined play. The good news is that he is wrong. It is not going to work long term and is no better than putting air in a flat tire and thinking it is fixed.
Not that I needed anymore reasons to dislike auburn, but this to me is "prostituting" the game and I despise it.
My like button doesn't work???? I agree that Gus and some other well-known coaches bend and break rules to achieve an unfair advantage in games then wine like children when called on it.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
My like button doesn't work???? I agree that Gus and some other well-known coaches bend and break rules to achieve an unfair advantage in games then wine like children when called on it.
My like button doesn't work either but I agree as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I say, do away with the interpretive 3 yards down field rule & just stick with the line of scrimmage (unless the pass is completed behind the LOS). Seems that works fine for the NFL teams & officials......pretty straight-forward. I really don't see how this is too difficult...?
I agree totally with this. As they say "zero tolerance". I read somewhere that the NFL is considering adopting the college rule on pass interference.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And the proposal has been tabled. Link

For the second straight year, a controversial proposed football rules change has been tabled.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) has tabled a rule that would have adjusted the ineligible receiver downfield rule from 3 yards to 1 yard. The proposal from the NCAA Football Rules Committee was met with some public backlash by high-profile coaches who expressed concern that the creativity of football was being attacked again.

In a news release, the NCAA said PROP felt more discussion about the rule should occur before a final decision is made. The rule will remain 3 yards for the 2015 season.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
Since the NCAA is not doing this till next year, I would like to see Coach put a play or two like this in the spring game so he can coach up the officials on the correct way to call the foul when the regular season rolls around. Of course if Bama uses this play next year then they will make the change quickly.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

So, defensive coaches aren't allowed to be creative?

In essence, that's what he is saying. When rules change to allow greater offensive freedom, that's creativity being allowed to flourish. Turn the tables and we are stifling innovation.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I know this is a rant, but I wish someone would stand up and declare that enough is enough. These so-called offensive geniuses (Malzahn, RichRod, Helfrich, etc.) are ruining this game. I can't wait until one of these committees wakes up and realizes that defense and fundamentals still exist. Hopefully, this new competition committee in 2016 will be able to do something, although I won't believe it until I see it. Rant over!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Redding, the NCAA officials overseer said, before it got tabled, that there had been offensive coaches who'd approached him about it, because they thought the offense had been given too much advantage over defenses. Somehow, I don't think Gus was among them...

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Redding, the NCAA officials overseer said, before it got tabled, that there had been offensive coaches who'd approached him about it, because they thought the offense had been given too much advantage over defenses. Somehow, I don't think Gus was among them...
Oh, I'm quite sure he wasn't...:)
btw TIDE-HSV,..there's no way he could appeal this is there? I don't think so..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, I'm quite sure he wasn't...:)
btw TIDE-HSV,..there's no way he could appeal this is there? I don't think so..
So far as I know, there's no way to appeal a rule change, other than bringing it back up to the voting body (coaches, presidents, etc.) the next year. This has happened a couple of times when a rule didn't work out. I believe it or a similar rule will be adopted next year. The rule, as drawn currently, cannot be enforced. The pros know that...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Since the NCAA is not doing this till next year, I would like to see Coach put a play or two like this in the spring game so he can coach up the officials on the correct way to call the foul when the regular season rolls around. Of course if Bama uses this play next year then they will make the change quickly.
I'd love to see a few plays where the entire OL fires off the ball like an off-tackle run with a quick dump across the middle after the LBs hesitate or a quick slant. Get the ball out quickly enough and it would probably work, just take timing.

Use their silly rules against them and ram it down their throat.

Latest threads