Illegal man downfield rule getting some resistance from some coaches.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Referring to the play in the 2013 Bama vs AU game:
Even with the current rule, Alabama fans still contend it was an illegal play because replays show Auburn linemen right on the threshold of that 3-yard minimum. "I'd say that was a pretty important play in the game and our season," Malzahn said. "We were 3 yards downfield and it was a well executed play as far as the current rule was concerned."

Who reviewed this play and can state "right on the threshold"? The other big violation during that play was the eligible reciever (fullback) blocking well downfield before and during the pass...

I'm not surprised that the AU coach doesn't like the idea.:eek:

I think someone mentioned in a related post that the new rule would at least get the plays that violate the current 3-yard rule flagged (something to that effect). In the heat of the game it is tough to ask a ref if a player is 2.5, 3, or 3.5 yards downfield but with the new rule they will be albe to tell that a player 3 yards downfield is well beyond the 1-yard allowance. Am I making sense here?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They're all for a change to the clock rules that allows an entirely new gimmicky (and dangerous since it prevents substitutions) method of playing. But... how dare you suggest their linemen don't run down the field and block on a passing play (which is basically pass interference).

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Referring to the play in the 2013 Bama vs AU game:
Even with the current rule, Alabama fans still contend it was an illegal play because replays show Auburn linemen right on the threshold of that 3-yard minimum. "I'd say that was a pretty important play in the game and our season," Malzahn said. "We were 3 yards downfield and it was a well executed play as far as the current rule was concerned."

Who reviewed this play and can state "right on the threshold"? The other big violation during that play was the eligible reciever (fullback) blocking well downfield before and during the pass...

I'm not surprised that the AU coach doesn't like the idea.:eek:

I think someone mentioned in a related post that the new rule would at least get the plays that violate the current 3-yard rule flagged (something to that effect). In the heat of the game it is tough to ask a ref if a player is 2.5, 3, or 3.5 yards downfield but with the new rule they will be albe to tell that a player 3 yards downfield is well beyond the 1-yard allowance. Am I making sense here?
With the 3yd rule the officials are not going to call it unless the blocker is around 4-5yds or more down field. Same will go for the new 1yd proposal and it will around 3yds before they call. Still think it is a good proposal.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
With the 3yd rule the officials are not going to call it unless the blocker is around 4-5yds or more down field. Same will go for the new 1yd proposal and it will around 3yds before they call. Still think it is a good proposal.

Or whatever the distance is, if it is close, throw the flag and let the replay official figure it out...this is now a squeeky wheel, and might just get more visibility...

A question just occurred to me...what is worse for a ref--miss a call by not throwing a flag when he should have, or throw the flag and have it over turned by the replay booth? Is one worse than the other when officials are graded after a game?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Or whatever the distance is, if it is close, throw the flag and let the replay official figure it out...this is now a squeeky wheel, and might just get more visibility...

A question just occurred to me...what is worse for a ref--miss a call by not throwing a flag when he should have, or throw the flag and have it over turned by the replay booth? Is one worse than the other when officials are graded after a game?
I would say throwing the flag when it should not have been. Can make an argument either way.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Rodriguez said. "There has to be a better way to do this. "I just want to know who's the person behind the curtain. Who's the grand pooh-bah driving this? The whole process needs to be reviewed."
I wonder who that shot's aimed at?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wonder who that shot's aimed at?
I have to point this out, Rich Rod from what I recall was one of the people that was cheering for the clock rule that created the gimmicky HUNH as we know it. He fought the 10 second rule that would have allowed substitutions, you know like has always been intended, or this... but he sure as heck seemed happy to have a rule that forces football players to stay in the game when they want to leave. He has no room to talk.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The HUNH teams want to be able to run illegal plays at crucial times in games. It is not surprising Gus, Rich Rod, and others are upset that the new rule will cut down on their cheating.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Of course they're crying about it. That's part of the way their Offenses operate and this will throw a monkey wrench into the whole machine of the HUNH....Providing the Refs throw their flags for it. Imagine this, if the Refs throw their flags regularly this coming season for that violation, then teams like Auburn, Texas A/M, and Michigan are gonna get at least 50 yds a game minimum in penalty yardage for it.:biggrin:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
More flags will be thrown because it will be much easier for referees to see. Looking down the line of scrimmage and being able to see someone across it is a lot easier than trying to tell if someone is three or four yards downfield.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
In other words these HUNH offensive coaches are for rule changes that gives their offenses an advantage over D's & they're against any rule changes that may level playing field for D's to combat a system that's slanted heavily towards these HUNH offenses..Especially Rich Rod cause he's not one of the better recruiters on the D1 level, never has been a good recruiter at any of the colleges he's been a HC at & he never will be cause he'd rather spend quality time with his beautiful wife Rita(LOL)..And to make up his short comings as a college recruiter, Rich Rod has to bend the rules & take advantage of any stretching of the rules, that will benefit his offensive style of play & that's why his offenses are as good as they have been..If he played by the rules & never stretched the rules to give his offense an advantage..His offense would be the bottom of the barrel offense in D1 college football..JMHO..

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As has been pointed out above, it's a lot easier to determine if a player is more than a yard downfield, with the LOS as such a recent reference point. Also, new rules tend to be enforced more strictly, it seems to me, just because they're an obvious point of emphasis at the moment. There's a lot of talk in the media, among coaches and etc. right now about the ability of the HUNH to take advantage of the rules and then move past just taking advantage to actually fudging them. However, RR, Gus, Freeze and others managed to shout down the 10 second rule. They'll have time to do some backroom arm-twisting (the fans want to see TDs, etc.) and they'll prevent this rule's being adopted also, IMO...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

The problem with this is that most penalties are not reviewable. False start, offsides, PI, holding etc are not reviewable. I'm sure this penalty would fall under the same category of being a judgement call on the field. The referee can't just throw a flag and tell the replay booth to figure it out..

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
The problem with this is that most penalties are not reviewable. False start, offsides, PI, holding etc are not reviewable. I'm sure this penalty would fall under the same category of being a judgement call on the field. The referee can't just throw a flag and tell the replay booth to figure it out..
Why not? They do it when they call targeting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.