Illegal man downfield rule getting some resistance from some coaches.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
All it would take is for CNS to exploit it, and it will grind to an immediate end. I'm for it. Let Gus, and the rest of his ilk, figure out how to win on a level playing field.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Tactical victory for Gus and co. A strategic victory for Saban and co. Ultimately I think the refs will be paying more attention to detail about the illegal man downfield in 2015 than they have in years past. That alone will cut down the barns and everyone else that has to break the rules offensive production.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Tactical victory for Gus and co. A strategic victory for Saban and co. Ultimately I think the refs will be paying more attention to detail about the illegal man downfield in 2015 than they have in years past. That alone will cut down the barns and everyone else that has to break the rules offensive production.
I think you're right...the 'sqeaky wheel' syndrome in action...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know this is a rant, but I wish someone would stand up and declare that enough is enough. These so-called offensive geniuses (Malzahn, RichRod, Helfrich, etc.) are ruining this game. I can't wait until one of these committees wakes up and realizes that defense and fundamentals still exist. Hopefully, this new competition committee in 2016 will be able to do something, although I won't believe it until I see it. Rant over!!
To be fair, this isnt the NFL where there are 32 teams with the best of the best. This is college where there are over 120 teams with the some teams having a significant talent advantage over the other. So the NCAA is trying to incorporate a "Fairness" aspect to the game amongst the 120 plus teams. So in todays game it is possible that Boise could beat a big time program, where until the mid 2000s that would be pretty much impossible.Is that thought process right? Absolutly not, but then again how many times in the last 8 years has an overbearing offensive dominate team won the national championship? Auburn 2010 is the only one I can name, and I have doubts that they wouldve beaten TCU that year had they played indtead of Oregon. Oregon has lost twice, and Auburn has lost once in that time period. So them looking the other way is annoying, but until Gus,Helfrich, or Peterson gets a natty I dont think it is something to fret about. OSU proved that defense and overall team effort wins nattys and not video game antics (CFP National Championship), and SNASS

Last edited:

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
No buttons today!Haven't been able to see them work for over a month or two.I have had to exit and go back to see if it worked. Well Roll Tide anyway.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
To be fair, this isnt the NFL where there are 32 teams with the best of the best. This is college where there are over 120 teams with the some teams having a significant talent advantage over the other. So the NCAA is trying to incorporate a "Fairness" aspect to the game amongst the 120 plus teams. So in todays game it is possible that Boise could beat a big time program, where until the mid 2000s that would be pretty much impossible.Is that thought process right? Absolutly not, but then again how many times in the last 8 years has an overbearing offensive dominate team won the national championship? Auburn 2010 is the only one I can name, and I have doubts that they wouldve beaten TCU that year had they played indtead of Oregon. Oregon has lost twice, and Auburn has lost once in that time period. So them looking the other way is annoying, but until Gus,Helfrich, or Peterson gets a natty I dont think it is something to fret about. OSU proved that defense and overall team effort wins nattys and not video game antics (CFP National Championship), and SNASS
But it stinks to watch "video game antics".......& these "video game antics" can be used to beat other teams & knock them out. I am moving toward hating to even watch CFB the way it is now being played..... More and more I am choosing just not to watch.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
But it stinks to watch "video game antics".......& these "video game antics" can be used to beat other teams & knock them out. I am moving toward hating to even watch CFB the way it is now being played..... More and more I am choosing just not to watch.
Exactly. I hear all the time that they haven't put a stop to this because they are trying to bring in more viewers who like 52-49 and 60-58 scores. But, at the same time, they are driving away the traditionalist fans who like to see the game played on a level playing field. My father always told me that football was like a chess match with its own strategy. Well, these HUNH teams are, in my opinion, taking that away. One team seemingly scores at will because they are allowed to bend/break the rules and the only way the other team can hope to stay in the game is by matching them score for score. Give me the 2011 LSU 9-6 game (with the score reversed) over last year's Iron Bowl score any day of the week.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
So in the name of fairness they are letting teams knowingly break rules? When a lineman is 5(or more) yards upfield when a pass is throw, when the offense wants to run a play before the refs are set, not being set before ball is snapped, receivers/running backs blocking downfield before the pass is thrown and don't get me started on the murkat offense where they get set and then raise up and look for the play. They hurry up to the line so the defense can't sub but then the play clock runs down to 1 or 2 seconds. If they run up to the line they should have 10 seconds to snap the ball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ok watch NFL games because HUNH and gimmicky offenses still doesnt work. Chip Kelly isnt exactly "changing the pace" of the game in the NFL. His success really depends on what kinda teams the Cowboys and Giants are in order to reach the playoffs.

Exactly. I hear all the time that they haven't put a stop to this because they are trying to bring in more viewers who like 52-49 and 60-58 scores. But, at the same time, they are driving away the traditionalist fans who like to see the game played on a level playing field. My father always told me that football was like a chess match with its own strategy. Well, these HUNH teams are, in my opinion, taking that away. One team seemingly scores at will because they are allowed to bend/break the rules and the only way the other team can hope to stay in the game is by matching them score for score. Give me the 2011 LSU 9-6 game (with the score reversed) over last year's Iron Bowl score any day of the week.
I honestly prefer the The 2011 LSU games over last year's Iron Bowl, but the problem is that probably only LSU and Bama fans did. The 2011 BCS national championship Game had the third lowest TV rating in the 16 National championship deciding games in the BCS era. Way more people liked the OSU vs Stanford Fiesta Bowl than the Rematch. So basically the NCAA interprets that as that offense>>>defense. So what is easier making a handful of people mad, or making a whole 3 regions of the USA mad. It isnt right, but what can you do that Bret Bielema and Nick Saban hasnt tried?

So in the name of fairness they are letting teams knowingly break rules? When a lineman is 5(or more) yards upfield when a pass is throw, when the offense wants to run a play before the refs are set, not being set before ball is snapped, receivers/running backs blocking downfield before the pass is thrown and don't get me started on the murkat offense where they get set and then raise up and look for the play. They hurry up to the line so the defense can't sub but then the play clock runs down to 1 or 2 seconds. If they run up to the line they should have 10 seconds to snap the ball.
I put Fairness in "" marks. Maybe I should put it like this: Fairness. I dont agree with what they are doing, but I semi understand that they are doing it because they want teams like Oregon and Auburn to have more competitive games than their overall talent and depth would normally allow to appease the mass majority of CFB viewers who like high scoring games over defensive slobber knockers. I honestly am against it, but again what far and away advantage have they gained by this. Oregon still matches their number of national championship titles with their helmet logos, and only by luck and a bad game maneging by Alabama has Auburn reached 2 national championships since Gus has been affilated with the Cult of the Plains. And They are 1-1 with the only win coming against Oregon. Complete and Semi-Traditional teams have won the past 4 national championships, so until they start pushing something like :the offense doesnt have to allow the defense to substitute even if the offense has substitute, I really dont see any reason worry too much.

Last edited:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
The HUNH helps the pee-wee teams in the NCAA put up gaudy stats and occasionally pull an upset over a major team, but when the rubber meets the road, it's still boys trying to play a man's game.

The last ten national championship games:

• 2005 - Texas averages just over 72 plays per game over the season and beats USC, who averaged just over 77 plays per game over the season. Neither of these teams are really running any hurry-up tempo, but this is the first data point in the ten-year span.
  • 2006 - Florida (season average of 62.5 plays per game) slaughters the favored Buckeyes and their fast-paced :biggrin: (63 plays per game avg) offense. As before, no HUNH to be seen.
  • 2007 - In a surprise, the team with the higher avg. plays per game (75.2), LSU, also destroys the Buckeyes (who have put some turbo into their pace to reach 67 plays per game avg.) LSU's play per game average is skewed by two 3OT games and the game against Florida when Les rolled the dice on 4th down seemingly every drive and Jacob Hester delivered the goods for him. Still no HUNH presence.
  • 2008 - Now we get down to business. Oklahoma sets national scoring records with its no-huddle offense run by Sam Bradford and runs into the Florida Gators, who had been on the warpath since a mid-season loss to Ole Miss. Oklahoma averages a national best 79 plays per game while the Gators are 10th from the bottom in that statistic at 62.4 plays per game. Talent-wise, this is a more even matchup than typically seen in HUNH vs. more traditional offense matchups. As usual, the team that focused its effort on the period while the ball was live beat the team that focused on the period between plays.
  • 2009 - Another Big-12 fastball team, Texas (75 plays per game avg.), against another team (Alabama at 67.6 plays per game) that believes that more offensive snaps by the other team just means more hits on that team. Of course, it only took one good hit to slow down this game as the Longhorns' steady signal caller gave his last hurrah in a manner similar to Admiral Nelson at Trafalgar (except Nelson won).
  • 2010 - Surprise, surprise, surprise. The jewel of all HUNHry, Oregon (at almost 79 plays per game avg.) took on Superman and his minions (an insult to all HUNHry at only 67.7 plays per game avg.) in what was surely going to be an offensive slugfest like Kursk. Instead, it was a sad night (only 41 total points) in many basements as 35-year old XBox and Nintendo players held their Oregon Duck plushies, drank copious amounts of Robutussin, and whimpered into the night to the chagrin of their parents.
  • 2011 - The nightmare scenario for HUNHers -- Alabama (66.5 plays per game avg.) against LSU (62.1 plays per game avg.). In fact, the teams probably came into the game much closer in this category, but Bama moved the ball well against the vaunted Tiger defense and LSU was lucky to get the ball over the 50 yard line by the 4th quarter.
  • 2012 - Still the nightmare continues for HUNHers -- Alabama is a bit lower in play per game average than the previous year, and Notre Dame is averaging about 68 plays per game... still not burning their britches to get to the line. The HUNHers probably would have loved to see ANYONE but Bama win this game because of Saban's attitude toward the HUNH, but just to make it more interesting, AJ and Barrett got into a fight because one of them wasn't milking the clock enough just to stick the dagger into the HUNH fans a little bit deeper with a nice twist.
  • 2013 - The HUNH fans were right there... on the threshold and then Crablegs Rapeis took Chief Osceola's spear and plunged it into their coal-filled cavity where a heart should be. Auburn was just holding the HUHN banner in a flaccid manner (72.4 plays per game), but they at least had their hands on it. Florida St. (67.6 plays per game) only had that many plays per game because the referees made them return for the last two quarters of most games.
  • 2014 - The quack attack (averaging 74.5 plays per game) came for a second helping in the last 5 years and they were facing a third-string QB with only two wins (pretty paltry wins over #13 Wisconsin 59-0 and #1 Alabama 42-35), so it was finally time for the HUNH to do its thing. Ohio State incorporated no-huddle into its offense, but basically all teams do that now. They aren't a breakneck hurry-up team like Oregon, who with Heisman winning QB Marcus Mariota had to feel that this was their time. T'was not to be.

So the tally is this: In the last 10 NC games, the team with the highest average of plays per game has LOST 8 and won 2. The 2 teams with the higher average number of plays that won were Alabama (2011) and LSU (2007). My advice is this: work more on what you do AFTER the snap instead of what you do BEFORE the snap.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is getting some publicity from the BIG 12. Hopefully the SEC, and all other conferences, start enforcing the rules..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
This is getting some publicity from the BIG 12. Hopefully the SEC, and all other conferences, start enforcing the rules..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like some hope to a good start with this attention. Those run/pass option plays are difficult enough for LBs to defend...much more so when the pulling guards come down field to engage in a block with the LBs on a pass that is completed far beyond the LOS.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I can't understand why a HC can't ask for an official review to show that a penalty should be called for an illegal man down field. I know, you can't review a play to call a penalty. That stinks.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I honestly prefer the The 2011 LSU games over last year's Iron Bowl, but the problem is that probably only LSU and Bama fans did. The 2011 BCS national championship Game had the third lowest TV rating in the 16 National championship deciding games in the BCS era. Way more people liked the OSU vs Stanford Fiesta Bowl than the Rematch. So basically the NCAA interprets that as that offense>>>defense. So what is easier making a handful of people mad, or making a whole 3 regions of the USA mad. It isnt right, but what can you do that Bret Bielema and Nick Saban hasnt tried?

Amen, brother...

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
If they do enforce this the barners are going to have to play big boy football what a shame!
Plus, I don't think Gus will stick around when he realizes that he can't stomp his feet and get his way. All joking aside, though, I'm just happy to see people beginning to move in the right direction and put a curb on this blatant exploitation of the rules.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.