What do in San Franciso & San Jose

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm travelling to San Jose in May and my wife is going to join me later in the week/weekend for a little vacation that we haven't had in years.

Any ideas what to do?

Giants game Friday night.
Alcatraz
Napa
Fisherman's Wharf
Presidio

Other things to consider if time allows:

Gay bar hopping/gay parade
Interview with Diane Feinstein on my liberal & Jewish conversion
Drug run into Oakland
Bungee cord off the San Francisco Bridge

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I would suggest a drive down to Monterey/Pebble Beach with no particular goal.
The aquarium is cool if you need something to do.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
Larry Lobster and Sam Clam where best friends. They did everything together. The only difference between them is that Larry was the nicest Lobster ever and Sam, well lets just say he was not so good.

Larry and Sam did so much together that they even died together.

Larry went to heaven and Sam went to hell.

Larry was doing well in heaven and one day St. Peter came up to him and said, "Larry, you know you are the nicest lobster we ever had up here. Everyone likes you but you seem to be a bit depressed.

Tell me what is bothering you, maybe I can help."

Larry said, "Well, don't get me wrong Pete, I like it up here and everything, but I really miss my good friend Sam Clam. We used to do everything together and I really miss him a lot."

St. Peter looked at Larry with pity and said to him, "I tell you what, I can arrange it so that you can go down to hell tomorrow and visit Sam all day. How would that sound?"

This made Larry very happy and he got up bright and early the next morning and grabbed his wings, his harp, and his halo and got in the elevator to hell. When the doors opened he was met by Sam. The hugged each other and they were off. You see in Hell Sam owned a disco. The spent the day there together and had a great time. At the end of the day Larry and Sam went back to the elevator together said their goodbyes and Larry got back in the elevator and went up to heaven. He stepped off the elevator and was greeted by St. Peter who blocked the doorway to heaven. He looked at Larry and said, "Larry Lobster, didn't you forget something?"

Larry looked around and said, "No, I don't think so I have my halo and my wings."

St. Peter looked at him and said, "Yes, but what about your harp?" Larry gasped and said, "I Left My Harp in Sam Clam's Disco."

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Clam chowder in a fresh sour dough bread bowl and Dungeness crab on Fisherman's wharf. Yuuuuuuuum Yum.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm travelling to San Jose in May and my wife is going to join me later in the week/weekend for a little vacation that we haven't had in years.

Any ideas what to do?

Alcatraz
Napa
Fisherman's Wharf
Presidio

Drug run into Oakland
saw alcatraz as a kid. it was cool. haven't been to san francisco since 91, but it was a cool town. walking around golden gate park was nice. not sure if the mission district is still the same, but i had some hellaciously good burritos in hole in the wall non-english speaking joints.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
saw alcatraz as a kid. it was cool. haven't been to san francisco since 91, but it was a cool town. walking around golden gate park was nice. not sure if the mission district is still the same, but i had some hellaciously good burritos in hole in the wall non-english speaking joints.
Don't know about the holes in the wall, but High Tech Burrito was amazing in the 90s and it seems to still be around.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Don't know about the holes in the wall, but High Tech Burrito was amazing in the 90s and it seems to still be around.
the place my friend took me was one of those point to what you want places, no seating at all, take it outside and eat it while standing on the sidewall. also went to a biker bar (zeitgeist i think) while tripping, that was interesting, to say the least. i think it was summer of 90 that i went because i had just turned 21 (had my first non-"mass produced" beers there) and the damage from the earthquake was still noticeable.

i think the coolest thing i got to do on that visit was go see the jerry garcia band at the warfield. walked up to the box office and bought tickets day of the show.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
be careful of Bums in Sanfran, they can be aggressive, mean and downright awful. A guy I knew ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks for telling a bum to F-off and get a job when asked for change. This guy had a karma train heading his way anyway, so we all laughed when it happened but I did change my attitude around the homeless. Market street area is especially bad. Outside of the rampant urban outdoorsman San Fran is an awesome city. Food is great everywhere, stay away from the tourist traps and enjoy. Use UrbanSpoon for recommendations (no one in the bay area trusts Yelp)

Check out University Avenue in Palo Alto, cool little college town area. Great places all over the stretch from San Jose to San Fran. I love Palo Alto, Redwood City and Los Gatos

San Jose doesn't have much but there are some really good restaurants. The Tech Museum looks cool and I've always wanted to go to the Winchester Mystery House but am always there for work without much free time http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

And Don't go to Napa for wine, that's where the tourists go. Go to Sonoma. Remember Napa is for Car parts, Sonoma is for wine

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't think it's been mentioned, but a drive over to Marin County and to the north to Point Reyes national seashore couples well with Muir Woods. I'll PM my daughter, who's still out there, to see if she can think of anything off the usual lists...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Napa is very nice. Awesome restaurants. We were there in April one year and the vines had just started blooming. I always wanted to go back in the summer when the grapes were plentiful. We also did a balloon ride which was a once in a lifetime thing. It was cool until we caught some bad wind, dropped like a rock and crashed in a field. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Napa is very nice. Awesome restaurants. We were there in April one year and the vines had just started blooming. I always wanted to go back in the summer when the grapes were plentiful. We also did a balloon ride which was a once in a lifetime thing. It was cool until we caught some bad wind, dropped like a rock and crashed in a field. :)
I had the owner of a Swiss Ski School whom I knew try to talk me into doing a tandem parasail out over the Interlaken valley (this was a rare trip back in summer). All I could think was that it was a very long way down there. I declined, and I'm a risk-taker, even a former adrenalin junkie. However, I liked for the situation to be at least partially in my own hands...

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

Any ideas what to do?

Alcatraz
Napa
Fisherman's Wharf
Presidio

Drug run into Oakland
Another vote for Muir woods. And the drug run into Oakland is a must do for any visitor to San Fran...it'll get your adrenaline up.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Muir Woods can get full on a weekend. So you can either go to one of the forests further away from the city or get there early. I prefer Sonoma/Russian River Valley over Napa. I guess it depends what type of wine you are into. You can also do cheese and olive oil tastings. If you want to do the wine thing and get a driver, I can recommend one. It's cool to go down to the pier and ppl watch, but the whole clam chowder thing is overrated. If you like rum drinks find Smuggler's Cove. It's a tiki bar and was rated one of the best bars in America by Esquire. Giant's game is a must. If you like sushi, find you a good restaurant out there. Last time we were out we went to Ozumo and it was on a whole different level than anywhere i've been in ATL.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'd like to add from San Jose you can drive down to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz if you want to check you the beach. And take a jacket to San Fran, the temp swings there are crazy.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I was definitely going to take a jacket and gloves if we end up going to the Giants game.
I'm not just talking about the night. First time I went to San Fran, we drove down from Sacramento where it was 95. We went down to the pier to see the seals and do the clam chowder thing. It was prob mid 60's when the sun was out. I had short sleeves and was comfortable. Once the sun went away, it felt mid 50's, damp, and cold. Half our group ended buying the tourist sweatshirts from all the gift shops. Now I know why they mostly have sweatshirts.

Oh and don't listen to Jon. Go to Napa if you like Cab Sauv or Sauv Blanc, that region won't be beat on either of those. Last time out we went to Cade on Howell Mountain and you cannot beat that view. If you like Zin (Dry Creek valley) or Pinot Noir or Chardonnay (Russian River Valley) go up to Sonoma. Healdsburg is a cool little town with a lot of tasting rooms and restaurants if you don't want to go out to the wineries.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.