Link: "Slurpee" waves on Nantucket...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A first in human memory - LINK. My granddaughter is in her freshman year at Clark University, in Worcester, outside Boston. She doesn't even like cold weather, so it's been a struggle. It reminded me of a long ago backpacking trip I friend and I had planned for January, leaving from the Nantahala Outdoor Center in western NC. The morning we were to leave, I walked out, after bundling up, and checked the thermometer. It read -17F. I then walked over to the creek which flows into the Nantahala there and watched it freeze. Damnedest thing I've ever seen in my life. The rapids, waterfalls and standing waves just slowed down, bit by bit, and then they just stopped in place. I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it. We voted down the backpack. However, my diesel Mercedes wasn't even close to starting. Next to us, a guy driving a truck full of salt bound for Robbinsville, NC had pulled in and turned his engine off. They actually were underneath, playing torches on his crankcase, trying to start it. At one point, I asked him how it was going. He held up an opened can of engine oil and up-ended it. The oil coming out fell in globs like chocolate pudding. (I later found out that he was 4 days getting out and the salt never made it to the site. After that day and another, while we tried to warm up our crankcase with a camp stove, the NOC mechanic came up with a plan. We hooked chains from his running gas tow truck to my front tow hooks. Then, he started a tow, with my releasing the clutch in second (stick) and he towed me about 2 miles. Everything finally got warmed up enough for the engine to start. I never turned it off again, until we were out of there. Remember that this creek freezing was fresh water. The surf at Nantucket was salt water, with a considerably lower freeze point...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.