Bill O'Reilly suddenly under fire for lying

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I agree with the Daily Dot, guys been lying for years, repeatedly. Now that NBC suspended Wiliams it looks like Fox may have to do smething with old Bill. What do you think will Bill get the axe?

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/bill-oreilly-long-list-of-lies/?fb=dd

Isn’t it a little strange that Bill O’Reilly is suffering a scandal for lying?

The growing list of charges against him appear to be true, of course. But he’s been getting key facts wrong on air for decades, a trend his critics have closely tracked for much of his career. The falsehoods haven’t merely been tolerated by Fox News; O’Reilly has been elevated to the most iconic figure the network has ever produced—that he brings in $100 million in ads doesn’t hurt.

The scandal is strange not because he's yet to be shamed off the air, but because he’s sinking into hot water for doing what he’s always done.

Coming so quickly after Brian Williams lost his NBC anchor job for his own falsehood about war-time experience, the timing for this new wave of scandals is pretty bad for O’Reilly. Blood in the water, new charges of lying haven’t been refuted so much as they’ve been met with more lies.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Congress should be getting nervous. Hopefully this concern for honesty will extend to people's voting decisions.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I agree with the Daily Dot, guys been lying for years, repeatedly. Now that NBC suspended Wiliams it looks like Fox may have to do smething with old Bill. What do you think will Bill get the axe?
No, the difference is that Williams was reporting the news and O'Reilly is a talking head and not subject to the same level of truthiness.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I don't understand why he felt the need to lie when he(Brian Williams) was actually in Iraq embedded with the troops in 2003. I guess that was not dangerous enough for him. Maybe he was trying to impress some female. Women have a way of making even sane men lose their minds.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/bill-oreilly-long-list-of-lies/?fb=dd

Whats so bad about this is people know he lies but he still has more viewers than anyone else on Fox News. I think that the people that watch his show know that they are being lied to and just like what they hear. He will not face the same consequences as Brian Williams because Fox loves him so much.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
This is ridiculous. Liberal-minded individuals are salivating after Brian Williams' suspension just trying to get their biggest tv nemesis off the air. They have been trying desperately to get Rush Limbaugh off the air for years because they don't like what he says.

The truth is people......if you talk on the record about current events for an hour a day for 20+ years, someone is going to find places where they believe you lied or stretched the truth. We're humans. I know I wouldn't want anyone to play back things all the things I've said that turned out to be incorrect. I skimmed through several of these "lies" from O'Reilly in this link.

So what if he says he "came from nothing" when he actually went to a private school growing up? Many parents sacrifice a lot so that their kids could go to private schools because the parents place a priority on education...that doesn't automatically mean their kids grew up privileged.

And if I'm not mistaken, O'Reilly's claims 11-12 years ago about Iraq having weapons were also widely believed due to US Intelligence at that time. And many congressmen and women from both sides of the aisle voted for military action on the same belief. Should any member of congress who voted for that action be publicly shamed?,...I caution all liberals to be careful in your answer before you see that list.

There are several, several more that are really stretching it to define them as lies, particularly when your sole source is a Michael Moore documentary. This is a witch hunt to try to take out "the enemy." Give the guy a break, it is not the "8:00 evening news with Bill O'Reilly," it is an entertainment show based on current events. There is a difference. Practically all personalities of similar shows on various networks--that have been on the air for more than 5 years anyway--could be destroyed using the same loose definition of lying. More importantly, we've been consistently lied to by our elected officials regarding MAJOR laws and overseas terrorism acts for several years now, but it is the top conservative tv personality who is being ridiculed for his statements. Shameful. If you don't like what he says or how he says it, don't watch his show. That's the way America used to work, anyway.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Whats so bad about this is people know he lies but he still has more viewers than anyone else on Fox News. I think that the people that watch his show know that they are being lied to and just like what they hear. He will not face the same consequences as Brian Williams because Fox loves him so much.
It is really hard to understand why so many people keep watching these broadcasts when they are aware they are being lied to. The alphabet networks are nothing more than mouthpieces of propaganda and should be aired with disclaimers as such. FOX is not much better, and only occasionally tell the truth without a slant. The country needs truth now more than ever.
Bill O'Reilly has shown the only one he is "looking out" for is himself. Stopped watching him and FOX a few years ago. The only way to get facts are to gather many points of view and think for yourself. Most people do not have the time or motivation to do this.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This is ridiculous. Liberal-minded individuals are salivating after Brian Williams' suspension just trying to get their biggest tv nemesis off the air. They have been trying desperately to get Rush Limbaugh off the air for years because they don't like what he says.

The truth is people......if you talk on the record about current events for an hour a day for 20+ years, someone is going to find places where they believe you lied or stretched the truth. We're humans. I know I wouldn't want anyone to play back things all the things I've said that turned out to be incorrect. I skimmed through several of these "lies" from O'Reilly in this link.

So what if he says he "came from nothing" when he actually went to a private school growing up? Many parents sacrifice a lot so that their kids could go to private schools because the parents place a priority on education...that doesn't automatically mean their kids grew up privileged.

And if I'm not mistaken, O'Reilly's claims 11-12 years ago about Iraq having weapons were also widely believed due to US Intelligence at that time. And many congressmen and women from both sides of the aisle voted for military action on the same belief. Should any member of congress who voted for that action be publicly shamed?,...I caution all liberals to be careful in your answer before you see that list.

There are several, several more that are really stretching it to define them as lies, particularly when your sole source is a Michael Moore documentary. This is a witch hunt to try to take out "the enemy." Give the guy a break, it is not the "8:00 evening news with Bill O'Reilly," it is an entertainment show based on current events. There is a difference. Practically all personalities of similar shows on various networks--that have been on the air for more than 5 years anyway--could be destroyed using the same loose definition of lying. More importantly, we've been consistently lied to by our elected officials regarding MAJOR laws and overseas terrorism acts for several years now, but it is the top conservative tv personality who is being ridiculed for his statements. Shameful. If you don't like what he says or how he says it, don't watch his show. That's the way America used to work, anyway.
Bingo. Great post.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

way to cherry pick a few of the stretches and ignore the biggies. A war reporter seeing action from a luxury hotel 1,000 Miles away? Like reporting on the LA riots from the Four Seasons in Dallas and acting like you are in danger and what about those Nun's he saw executed? Never happened, etc

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
way to cherry pick a few of the stretches and ignore the biggies. A war reporter seeing action from a luxury hotel 1,000 Miles away? Like reporting on the LA riots from the Four Seasons in Dallas and acting like you are in danger and what about those Nun's he saw executed? Never happened, etc
I did not say that all the statements in the link were refutable. I chose two of the more egregious ones as examples of the loose definition of lying used by the writer of the linked article. You don't have to have 99 examples of something to prove your point and opponents will strike at the weakest links, so the writer should have used better judgment on which statements to build his/her case and trimmed it down a bit.

Regardless, my point remains that O'Reilly like many others is in the business of current events entertainment. If you don't like his show, think he lies, etc, then don't watch. I don't like the way Rachel Maddow reports on current events and don't believe her motives are free of bias, so my tv skips over her show on most nights. I think this feeds into a culture where we all are supposed to tiptoe around everyone's feelings in order to make a statement or others will call for us to be reprimanded in some way. And tv news has done us no favors in trying to get us to believe that the way they report news is the only way to think. We should be responsible enough to make up our own minds about the world.

And as I previously mentioned, much more attention should be pointed at the elected officials who pass crooked laws affecting all of our lives and lie to us in order to stay in power. But alas some are much more interested in writing about the tall tales of a popular tv personality.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Going after Bill O'reilly is nothing new. Personally, I don't like his show nor have I regularly watched his show. I find him annoying.

Here's a link about how Media Matters is calling "all hands on deck" to go after him. Like another poster said if you don't like him turn the channel. CNN & MSNBC have their versions as well who if faced the same scrutiny would also be found lacking.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media...ll-hands-on-deck-for-bill-oreilly-203178.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I did not say that all the statements in the link were refutable. I chose two of the more egregious ones as examples of the loose definition of lying used by the writer of the linked article. You don't have to have 99 examples of something to prove your point and opponents will strike at the weakest links, so the writer should have used better judgment on which statements to build his/her case and trimmed it down a bit.

Regardless, my point remains that O'Reilly like many others is in the business of current events entertainment. If you don't like his show, think he lies, etc, then don't watch. I don't like the way Rachel Maddow reports on current events and don't believe her motives are free of bias, so my tv skips over her show on most nights. I think this feeds into a culture where we all are supposed to tiptoe around everyone's feelings in order to make a statement or others will call for us to be reprimanded in some way. And tv news has done us no favors in trying to get us to believe that the way they report news is the only way to think. We should be responsible enough to make up our own minds about the world.

And as I previously mentioned, much more attention should be pointed at the elected officials who pass crooked laws affecting all of our lives and lie to us in order to stay in power. But alas some are much more interested in writing about the tall tales of a popular tv personality.
don't like his show, in fact I find him to be incredibly stupid, so I don't watch. (tide goes in tide goes out, can't explain that) http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bill-oreilly-you-cant-explain-that

And I don't "think" he lies, I know he does and so do you as it has been very clearly proven. I agree of course that mediamatters is out to get him and that they have also stretched the truth to do it over the years. Shame that they have but they are super left wing nutbags and prone to hate the right enough to not see straight, much like him with the left. If you are cool with watching a known liar's news and entertainment program knock yourself out.

On the elected official side I agree completely. Hillary is getting a pass for the "under sniper fire" comments and she shouldn't, hell she should have been laughed out of running for senate when she claimed she was named after sir Edmond Hillary who was a completely unknown WW2 Vet at the time of her birth that wouldn't achieve international fame until she was 6/7 years old.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm sick of all the talking HEADS! Alan Colmes, et al make me want to puke! Not only do I 100% disagree with his political views, it makes me sick to look at him. He has NEVER said anything that I agree with!

Now, I have stopped watching CNN and FOXNews, except for Megyn Kelly and Bill Hammer. I have started watching OAN, One America News. All I want to hear is THE news and some weather. I don't want to hear others OPINIONS that I TOTALLY disagree with. Who made them God. Give me the factual news and I'll have my own opinion and I don't need anyone's help to form an opinion. Many of these talking heads are making lots of money giving their biased opinions and I'd rather see and hear the wind blow outside.

And thank God for Rush Limbaugh who talks like a sane man with Common Sense. However, I also CRITIQUE what he says when I get a chance to hear him. Michael Berry is another person who seems to be sane and has Common Sense that's lacking elsewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.