SEC Football impressive majors

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The only name I recognize is the UT quarterback. He is probably the only one who plays and is actually on scholarship except Conley. The others are probably walk ons are pine riders.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
He probably never knew anyone who studied engineering or architecture.

OK, even though it is linked, here is the full list of honors:

http://www.secsports.com/article/12310037/2014-fall-sec-academic-honor-roll

If anyone takes the time to peruse it, you will not see many "impressive" majors, down in Gainesville. (Sorry, Bazz.............) One Civil Engineer, and one in chemistry. So, I guess he had a hard time picking from all the other "impressive" degrees.

I also counted 8, of our FB players, who got a Master's degree. OK, none were in engineering or architecture, but any of those are more impressive than a Bachelor's in Criminology.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As long as these kids are taking the courses that interest them, I have no problem with any of this. Let's face it - many of these kids are not in school for the education. Those kids could not handle a tough curriculum. Where I am more concerned is the possibility that many of these kids are steered toward horrible majors so they can easily pass. This requires less study time and more time to focus on football. The school is rewarded (and a small percentage of the kids get NFL contracts), but the rest of these kids leave college with degrees barely worth the paper that they are printed on.

ETA - I have been one to say many times that these kids are lucky. I have said things like - they get a free education where I had to work very hard to pay for mine or most would not have sniffed a college classroom if not for their athletic ability. But if they are not really getting a useful education, how are we helping them?

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
He probably never knew anyone who studied engineering or architecture.

OK, even though it is linked, here is the full list of honors:

http://www.secsports.com/article/12310037/2014-fall-sec-academic-honor-roll

If anyone takes the time to peruse it, you will not see many "impressive" majors, down in Gainesville. (Sorry, Bazz.............) One Civil Engineer, and one in chemistry. So, I guess he had a hard time picking from all the other "impressive" degrees.

I also counted 8, of our FB players, who got a Master's degree. OK, none were in engineering or architecture, but any of those are more impressive than a Bachelor's in Criminology.
No hard feelings Cuda. Maybe I'm not seeing what you are but I didn't see any majors from Florida student athletes that were much different than any of the other schools nor did I see many majors that non-student athletes wouldn't also major in.

I think it's one thing to look at someone's major and another to look at what they do after graduation.

Good luck to all these young people.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Salute to the Arkansas kid. My degree is in Industrial Engineering. When I was there, PJ Adams and Demeco took a freshman general engineering course with us (this was before Demeco was forced into playing early when Brooks Daniels didn't make it back after the summer). Other than that, not many football players were seen on that side of campus. I did an internship with Matt Collins and after that summer he started the season pretty high on the depth chart. Can't remember if he wound up getting hurt or what.

But yeah..it's fairly easy for us to take shots. But from what I've witnessed, these guys' schedules (even with all the tutoring and academic assistance, etc.) are almost impossible with a major that has "teeth". I didn't do anything extracirricular outside of intramurals and fraternity stuff, and having 3 courses of 6 per semester that all required two-hour labs twice a week...nah...just a lot to try to do and have the schedules that these guys have. So kudos to them.

Also, I know it's been posted here before, but Conley is a pretty creative guy. He'll be ok wherever that journalism major takes him. :)

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the players on each team that have the most impressive academic major.
If Journalism is the most impressive that UGA has to choose from, I wonder what the others are majoring in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.