End of Season Poll

Should there be a Head Coaching Change for Alabama Basketball at season's end?

• Yes

Votes: 80 93.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I didn't know which thread to put this, but I saw that William Lee is the CUSA Frosh of the Week. He was two blocked shots short or recording a triple-double on Saturday, and has had 4 double-doubles his last 5 games. Does anybody know what happened during his recruitment? Did the staff recruit him hard and he got away, or what?
IIRC, he was expected to sign with Bama and surprised everybody by signing with UAB.

For those that care, here's the SEC tournament bracket if the season ended right now.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
For those that care, here's the SEC tournament bracket if the season ended right now.

Next week's "Battle Report"

"Coach" Anthony Grant's team achieved another milestone by avoiding the SEC tournament play-in game, which not only kicked in another performance clause bonus in Grant's contract but also gave the basketball team great momentum for heading into next year for "Coach" Grant's seventh season!

What next week's Battle Report should say:

"Coach" Anthony Grant has been relieved of his duties at Alabama and a decision that possibly makes for the best $2M the university has spent in the last 45 years. The athletics department has brainstormed intensely over the last 72 hours and come up with a way of recouping Grant's send-off "award" money and not (yet) making another big outlay for a new coach, while also raising interest in the Alabama program, which had plummeted. For the 2015-16 season, the Crimson Tide will be led in each game by a succession of celebrity coaches, starting with Lady Gaga, followed by Country Boy Eddie, and including Jimmie "Dyn-o-mite!" Walker and for some home-state connection, Wayne ("Trapper John") Rogers. And that's just for the non-conference schedule!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They can save money by checking out of the hotel when they leave for the Vandy game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Gotta admit this post hits home more than most for me!
6 years
2 NIT's (3 IF we make it this year...which is up in the air)
1 NCAA appearance
0 NCAA Tournament Wins

Not seeing anything that buys another year. Last year I was firmly in his corner, because I thought we should have been a tourney team, and we VASTLY underperformed. This year, we have been underwhelming, and my expectations weren't that high. That should tell you the state of basketball.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some of my talking points :

The SEC has been down in basketball in recent years, yet we still struggle in conference play.
Off season transfers every year tell me we have HR issues within the program.
The last play of the Florida game being designed to go to Jimmie Taylor, he of the 4 ppg, is indefensible.
You can be bad, and you can be boring, but you shouldn't be both.
Zero promotion of the program.
Amen! If we were winning with this style the conversation would be different!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I would ONLY support a change if we have a lock on someone BETTER than Grant for the head coach position. There's no joy in watching our program struggle to find a quality replacement for a coach. And, it would be terrible to take a step backwards and then have a much bigger task at the end of disastrous hire (like Barbee for AU).

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I would ONLY support a change if we have a lock on someone BETTER than Grant for the head coach position. There's no joy in watching our program struggle to find a quality replacement for a coach. And, it would be terrible to take a step backwards and then have a much bigger task at the end of disastrous hire (like Barbee for AU).
It wasn't Barbee being a terrible coach. AU was a terrible program to recruit kids to when you are playing in an old barn. AU had killed about 4 coaches careers since Sonny was the coach..

We need to make a good hire who can do many of the things that Grant has failed to do. Promote the sport to the fans and the students, recruit the best players regardless of whether they are from AAU or JUCO, and most importantly change the current culture of the program.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
But if we stick with the status quo, things will get just as bad as here we are paying him a nice chunk of money for nothing. We are going to get crushed with the in-state talent because Pearl is going to be killing him on the JUCO trail and with in state kids. Coaches will for sure bring up Trevor Lacey who in Grant's system he was horrible but moved to NC State and will probably be 1st team All-ACC. If that doesn't tell you Grant is missing the boat in coaching nothing will. At this point I would rather take the job for free than to see Grant coach here next year.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Think I'll cash in my vote now..

very hard hard for me to do cause man I really liked the guy and believed in him.. I'll eat some crow cause I was still a believer for a majority of this year. But enough is enough..

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I voted yes. The program is not going to get any better with Grant as coach and that is not a personal stab at him, it is what it is he is just not the guy to get us where we should be.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not a TiderInsider member, but some folks on another Bama board are discussing a new poster on TI. The poster claims Grant knows he'll be fired after the SEC Tournament and won't coach the NIT. The poster also says there's a list of three candidates - Greg Marshall, Steve Prohm, and a mysterious third candidate. The folks on the board I read said the poster is pretty convincing in his posts.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'm very biased but I would love Steve Prohm as HC.
I agree, he's doing a bang-up job at Murray. But, I would like for us to go after Gregg Marshall first since he has been to a Final Four. I would like to see Steve coach for a few more years before we offer him. If Marshall declines, by all means go after Steve.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm not a TiderInsider member, but some folks on another Bama board are discussing a new poster on TI. The poster claims Grant knows he'll be fired after the SEC Tournament and won't coach the NIT. The poster also says there's a list of three candidates - Greg Marshall, Steve Prohm, and a mysterious third candidate. The folks on the board I read said the poster is pretty convincing in his posts.
I won't repeat the rumor that I have heard but it somewhat jives with the TI info. What I have heard is not on any forum that I have seen and it may not even mean anything but IF it is true then it leads me to believe the Grant's do not expect to be in Tuscaloosa much longer.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Greg Marshall, yes.
Oh, the irony...............a tale of two programs.

One had the NIT championship, there for the picking, and gave it to the other one. Who goes on to higher achievements, in the Big Dance. While the other one won't sniff the NIT, let alone the Big Dance.

If this were to happen, one could facetiously say CAG picked his replacement the hard way.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
A few points...

It's pretty simple really, CAG was hired six years ago to do a job. He didn't, end of story. No one expected us to be undefeated and #1 by now, but most all expected our BB program to at least be trending upward. It's not. I was all for keeping CAG for another year last season. After all, Kessons and Tarrant were coming in, Randolph and Cooper would be back, Hale and Taylor would have another year in the system and Norris and Coleman were freshmen. While our w-l record is better, our on court performance has been extremely disappointing.
Cag may be a "good guy", but so are Mike Shula and CNS, and which one of them is the better coach. Post season play can also be a very faulty indicator of a coach and team. Post season play should be a reward for a job well done, but nowadays the NCAA tourney gives out bids like candy. I'll bet, when it's all said and done, close to 40 teams in the "dance" will have lost a third of their games. Look at TAMU, LSU, UGA, and Ole Miss. They'll all probably get NCAA bids, but they'll all have at least ten losses, and ten losses is 1/3 of a 30 game schedule. Call me old fashioned but losing 1/3 of your games hardly constitutes a reward...or it didn't used to.
Like I said before, I don't care who the coach is or where he comes from as long as he stay's out of personal trouble, does the right thing, keeps us out of NCAA hot water, and builds a solid program. IOW, do what he's paid millions to do...it can be done...ask CNS.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
A name on another forum that is getting a lot of attention is Richard Pitino. Supposedly he and Stansbury have reached out to us several times to express their interest in the job if there is an opening.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know the guy through his posts over the years, not personally. I'd say he has had some good info from time to time but he's not infallible. There are a couple of others saying the same who are also long-term posters. However, the main question is whether or not Battle will take this on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.