End of Season Poll

Should there be a Head Coaching Change for Alabama Basketball at season's end?

• Yes

Votes: 80 93.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
LD means, in no uncertain terms, ACT DECISIVELY NOW on Grant.

3G (Grant's Gotta Go) Network translation regards.
Bingo. Or when we finish!
I want Battle to act by making a change, but I don't want him to act without having a plan. Don't make a change for the sake of making a change without knowing the replacement. I don't want us to get in the situation Auburn was in after Cliff Ellis left.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Plan is: Hire another coach. Pretty simple! Usually happens after a position becomes vacant. Unless we think mediocrity is something we can be comfortable with for the future. There is no good time for "change", there is only now.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Plan is: Hire another coach. Pretty simple! Usually happens after a position becomes vacant. Unless we think mediocrity is something we can be comfortable with for the future. There is no good time for "change", there is only now.
Can you not understand what I'm saying?

I want there to be a coaching change, but I don't want Bill Battle to fire Grant without having a replacement ready.

I don't want Battle to enter a coaching search with no idea who he wants just because Anthony Grant can't put people in the seats.

I don't want Battle to enter a coaching search and get embarrassed by no one being interested and having to settle for the #15 guy on the list.

That's the plan I'm meaning. Pretty simple!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Can you not understand what I'm saying?

I want there to be a coaching change, but I don't want Bill Battle to fire Grant without having a replacement ready.

I don't want Battle to enter a coaching search with no idea who he wants just because Anthony Grant can't put people in the seats.

I don't want Battle to enter a coaching search and get embarrassed by no one being interested and having to settle for the #15 guy on the list.

That's the plan I'm meaning. Pretty simple!
I understand. So if we don't have someone ready right now then how long should we wait? Summer is when players need to be developing. CAG isn't developing them. Fall is too close to the season. Of course we don't want fire during the season. So next season? I'm pretty sure we'll do really well while a "secret" coaching search is looking for a replacement during the season. So when is the best time to do it?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
RTR, college basketball coaches are about as mercenary as they come. "Having a plan in place" could be implemented with a 24-hour turnaround or could come to fruition one (1) minute after a mid-major's season comes to an end in the NCAA tournament. You gotta know that "Movin' on up" is the mantra for many of these guys. And setting up shop in Tuscaloosa puts them far higher on the radar than you might think, irrespective the deficiencies that currently exist in the program. You know, 'Bama could probably get L'il Ricky Pitino Jr. at the drop of a hat, if so desired. And others too - on short notice, with any sort of "plan in place" to replace Grant. Might just be as simple as a recommendation from a well-established coach for one of his proteges.

Bottom line is this: Does anybody - anybody - among the powers that be think Grant can turn things around with any consistency? If so, I'd like to have some of what they've been "breathing" at their pow-wows (for my sinuses only, you understand).

Meanwhile, here's a little parable, irrespective any racial overtones, about what happens a mediocre coach is given "too much time" to establish himself at a school - and the consequences of possibly "getting stuck" with said coach a h*lluva lot longer than alums can countenance - or are wanting to pay for (naturally). Gotta say, I have a sardonic, albeit defeated chuckle every time I think of Grant persisting as the face of 'Bama basketball...

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I haven't heard anything, but friends say they need to get rid of him. Battle seems to preparing a defense to keep him another year based on what I have seen at least in public. If we do have an opening I don't think there will be an issue getting another coach pretty quickly. Big numbers have that effect on mid major coaches, even ones making close to to 2 million a year. The salary will be attractive enough to get a high profile coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I understand. So if we don't have someone ready right now then how long should we wait?
If Bill Battle can't find a few guys he would like to target, he shouldn't be AD.

Summer is when players need to be developing. CAG isn't developing them. Fall is too close to the season. Of course we don't want fire during the season. So next season? I'm pretty sure we'll do really well while a "secret" coaching search is looking for a replacement during the season. So when is the best time to do it?
Do you think coaching searches start when the previous coach is fired or leaves? They tend to start behind the scenes with a school contacting an agent to gauge the coach's interest.

And if our lame duck-leadership problems cause coaches to stay away from Tuscaloosa, I would rather there not be a change. I do not want to end being turned down by numerous coaches and settling for a guy that no one wants.

RTR, college basketball coaches are about as mercenary as they come. "Having a plan in place" could be implemented with a 24-hour turnaround or could come to fruition one (1) minute after a mid-major's season comes to an end in the NCAA tournament. You gotta know that "Movin' on up" is the mantra for many of these guys. And setting up shop in Tuscaloosa puts them far higher on the radar than you might think, irrespective the deficiencies that currently exist in the program. You know, 'Bama could probably get L'il Ricky Pitino Jr. at the drop of a hat, if so desired. And others too - on short notice, with any sort of "plan in place" to replace Grant. Might just be as simple as a recommendation from a well-established coach for one of his proteges.
I disagree that "movin on up" is the mantra of many modern day coaches. If that was the case, Mark Few wouldn't still be at Gonzaga. Why wouldn't Shaka Smart go onto a bigger job? Why should a coach go to a Power 5 school in basketball? With 68 teams in the tournament, coaches can stay at a smaller school and still succeed. Greg Marshall proved last year a mid-major other than Gonzaga can be a #1 seed.

If I'm a coach, why would I want to leave a smaller school to go to a bigger program with more pressure? Not to mention if my wife and kids enjoy living in the area? The only reason I can tell is money, so if a coach is fine not making $2 million a year and working at a mid-major, I don't blame him for not taking a big job.

Bottom line is this: Does anybody - anybody - among the powers that be think Grant can turn things around with any consistency? If so, I'd like to have some of what they've been "breathing" at their pow-wows (for my sinuses only, you understand).
That begs the question of how much clout CM Newton has among the PTB. I posted the basketball portion of this week's Battle Plan in the "future" thread. It did not have the same tone as the previous ones.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I look at it this way....

1. Can Grant take us to 4-5+ consecutive Sweet 16s? Not saying "will he" - but "can he" === The answer is (at this point) an obvious "no"
2. If the answer is no, and we have a legitimate opportunity at moving on -- then shouldn't we move on?

I held on to the idea of keeping CMG longer than most -- because I felt a debt of gratitude after the Elite 8 season.....

But, I've got no debt this time...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
RTR, would rebut that you're partially right about the mantra of coaches movin' on up - right about them such as Few, Shaka Smart, the Miller bro' at Dayton, Phil Martelli at St. Joe's in Philly, even Brad Stevens while at Butler. They're all The Man @ their respective schools (no football - or only a semblance of football, to contend with). But they're also the exception among college coaches - and rest assured making a career of it at a mid-major ain't the ambition that most would come into college coaching with.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This was the "debt" year that he was owed in my book. I still don't know what the difference is in clearing out now rather than next year. When a job comes available the role of your "agent" is to inquire if you are interested. It's not like they put out an ad in the paper. There are online websites like "hoopdirt" that act as classifieds for basketball coaches. If you are looking for a job and you are interested you are going to inquire, if not you won't! I don't see the difference in waiting a whole year. The same people will be on the short list. Nothing is going to change about the attractiveness of the job. If you are going to be embarrassed by rejection of a coach then something is wrong. Billy Martin said, "You are hired to be fired"! Coaches know this.

I look at it this way....1. Can Grant take us to 4-5+ consecutive Sweet 16s? Not saying "will he" - but "can he" === The answer is (at this point) an obvious "no"2. If the answer is no, and we have a legitimate opportunity at moving on -- then shouldn't we move on?I held on to the idea of keeping CMG longer than most -- because I felt a debt of gratitude after the Elite 8 season.....But, I've got no debt this time...

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
6 years
2 NIT's (3 IF we make it this year...which is up in the air)
1 NCAA appearance
0 NCAA Tournament Wins

Not seeing anything that buys another year. Last year I was firmly in his corner, because I thought we should have been a tourney team, and we VASTLY underperformed. This year, we have been underwhelming, and my expectations weren't that high. That should tell you the state of basketball.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Some of my talking points :

The SEC has been down in basketball in recent years, yet we still struggle in conference play.
Off season transfers every year tell me we have HR issues within the program.
The last play of the Florida game being designed to go to Jimmie Taylor, he of the 4 ppg, is indefensible.
You can be bad, and you can be boring, but you shouldn't be both.
Zero promotion of the program.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Came over to the board because I read JESS's article on the Football page. I voted no, but only because I am not sure who you would land that has a higher chance of success. Change for the sake of change is crazy, as most college basketball coaches are no better than Grant. That said, I understand your frustration. With your tradition and school pride, you expect better.
It wouldn't be change for the sake of change. It would be change because our basketball program has been going steadily backwards. Our players don't get better once they get here, they get worse - and that's coaching.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
All I've to to say is if he is retained, it's going to free up a lot more time for me next season. I've been wanting to get some extra time to teach my little girl how to play her recorder.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Maybe I'll start going to gymnastics instead. I'd hate to lose my seats. What is sad is the players have live with this forever especially the seniors. They deserve better.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
No excuses- Anthony Grant's time at the Capstone needs to be done. Just cannot imagine the environment next season if he is there. Time for a change even if it is wrong. Sad, sad situation.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
No excuses- Anthony Grant's time at the Capstone needs to be done. Just cannot imagine the environment next season if he is there. Time for a change even if it is wrong. Sad, sad situation.
I don't think it is wrong at all. 6 years is enough time determine whether he can get it done.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
All I've to to say is if he is retained, it's going to free up a lot more time for me next season. I've been wanting to get some extra time to teach my little girl how to play her recorder.
I'm with you, I've given up all hope at this point. Grant simply has to go. He has been given enough time.

I was all for the Grant hire, thought it was the best hire we had in a long time but he simply bombed here. For all we know he might go somewhere else and win right away, but he is just not working out at Bama.

It's time for change.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I didn't know which thread to put this, but I saw that William Lee is the CUSA Frosh of the Week. He was two blocked shots short or recording a triple-double on Saturday, and has had 4 double-doubles his last 5 games. Does anybody know what happened during his recruitment? Did the staff recruit him hard and he got away, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.