John Chavis files lawsuit against A&M, LSU

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So is this the new trend in coaching? Between this and the Texas/Ok State situation, are we seeing a new trend where schools are using litigation to hold coaches to contract terms?

I don't recall this happening in the past.

LINK

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So is this the new trend in coaching? Between this and the Texas/Ok State situation, are we seeing a new trend where schools are using litigation to hold coaches to contract terms?

I don't recall this happening in the past.

LINK
I didn't take it as schools using litigation to hold coaches to contract terms. Most coaches know they will owe money if they leave early and they either pay it or have the new school pay it. Chavis is disputing that he owes the money. Likewise, LSU believes they are owed the money so they are going to pursue it..

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
As Vin Scully used to say" pull up a chair, it's gonna be a good one"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Wow... I thought this was a joke when I read the title. Man, it's a never a dull moment any time the corndoggers are involved. Still, don't see how Chavis has a leg to stand on here. His last day was NOT Feb. 4. Watch LSU get some kind of penalty from either the SEC or NCAA ... would be hilarious once again. :biggrin:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looks to me like the main point of contention is when Chavis gave notice.

If it really was January 5, I think he may have a point.

But there are some interesting points in the timeline. LSU demanded liquidated damages on January 2, which would indicate they felt Chavis gave notice some time earlier -- maybe the mid-December time frame referenced in the SI article. If that's what really happened, it strikes me that LSU has the facts on its side.

But there's something else. The suit says that Chavis bought a house and moved. But it doesn't say whether that took place before or after February 1. If before, it seems to me that Chavis didn't honor his notice, but rather abandoned his job....and therefore owes damages. If after 2/5, and assuming notice really did happen on 1/5, advantage shifts back to Chavis.

I'm buying popcorn. The "yeah, buts" are going to be fascinating.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
But there's something else. The suit says that Chavis bought a house and moved. But it doesn't say whether that took place before or after February 1. If before, it seems to me that Chavis didn't honor his notice, but rather abandoned his job....and therefore owes damages. If after 2/5, and assuming notice really did happen on 1/5, advantage shifts back to Chavis.

I'm buying popcorn. The "yeah, buts" are going to be fascinating.
I'm not sure they can point to a guy buying a second home as the event that defines his termination date. Afer all, when did CNS buy his lake house?

I'm pretty sure that he was required to give a letter of resignation when he left. If that letter said "My last day is XXX", that's pretty cut and dried unless they challenged the date at the time the letter was submitted. If it didn't spell his last day out, I would assume that his termination date would be the date of the letter, also pretty cut and dried. If, on the other hand, the actual date depends on what Les remembers about the conversation, Chavis might be in trouble. Any of you lawyers out there want to chime in?

Also, I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that the only reason Chavis listed A&M in the suit is so they would have "interested party" status in court. The buzz in Aggieland seems to be that A&M is going to back Chavis, and if necessary will pony up the cash, but don't want to unless they have to.

ron70

Nov 23, 2014
yea, some disagreement about the notice and if you read the reported details you might can see both sides. Probably will be a settlement involved.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm not sure they can point to a guy buying a second home as the event that defines his termination date. Afer all, when did CNS buy his lake house?

I'm pretty sure that he was required to give a letter of resignation when he left. If that letter said "My last day is XXX", that's pretty cut and dried unless they challenged the date at the time the letter was submitted. If it didn't spell his last day out, I would assume that his termination date would be the date of the letter, also pretty cut and dried. If, on the other hand, the actual date depends on what Les remembers about the conversation, Chavis might be in trouble. Any of you lawyers out there want to chime in?

Also, I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that the only reason Chavis listed A&M in the suit is so they would have "interested party" status in court. The buzz in Aggieland seems to be that A&M is going to back Chavis, and if necessary will pony up the cash, but don't want to unless they have to.
The simplest explanation that I can come up with for LSU demanding liquidated damages on the first business day of the new year -- three days before Chavis claims to have delivered notice -- is that they feel they received notice earlier. I'm assuming some time in December, though I guess it could theoretically have been on New Year's Day.

If there's a better explanation of why LSU would claim damages three days before Chavis himself claims to have delivered notice, I'm all ears.

Maybe they're claiming verbal notice, or are construing other actions or statements as constructive notice. I don't know what happened, so that's all speculation. But I do know that the "he said...no, he did" salvos are going to be fascinating.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
NOLA.com's Ron Higgins pointed out in a column this week that the contention could lead Chavis into murky NCAA compliance waters. NCAA rules state that only full-time staff members are allowed to recruit, and Higgins catalogued several occasions in which Chavis was reported to have been recruiting for Texas A&M in late January -- including one involving junior-college cornerback Justin Martin.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/could_john_chavis_lawsuit_lead.html#incart_river

Here is a new twist on the story. I think he may wish he had not stirred this pot up.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.