JessN: Decision on Grant is more complex than it looks

ron70

Nov 23, 2014
Yes we have had some bad injuries but so many other issues have contributed to our very mediocre records. We certainly havent seemed to
develop the talent we have been able to recruit. At times very good shooters coming in to the program cant seem to throw it in the ocean. We have missed
on so many excellent players. Our offensive schemes are mystifying most of the time. Good effort on defense has been our only mostly consistent area. Our young
players lose confidence with no real improvement in sight. I cant remember the last Bama game i really was excited to watch. Grant seems to be a class act but ????

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Yes we have had some bad injuries but so many other issues have contributed to our very mediocre records. We certainly havent seemed to
develop the talent we have been able to recruit. At times very good shooters coming in to the program cant seem to throw it in the ocean. We have missed
on so many excellent players.
Our offensive schemes are mystifying most of the time. Good effort on defense has been our only mostly consistent area. Our young
players lose confidence with no real improvement in sight. I cant remember the last Bama game i really was excited to watch. Grant seems to be a class act but ????
Missed out on two in-state big men just last year. Isaac Haas (7 footer) at Purdue is averaging 7.9 pts and 4.2 rebs a game. William Lee at UAB has twice been named CUSA frosh of the week, and averages 7.6 pts and 5.8 rebs a game. I don't know the stories on not signing these guys, but it would be nice to have contributions like that from true freshmen.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think there's any question that Grant has issues with recruiting/evaluation/development. Contrast this to Pearl, who already has a 11th ranked incoming class. Now, Grant did have one big class, but that was way back in 2011 and Gottfriend actually bettered that the following year. I don't know what the deal is though because Grant was supposed to be a good recruiter. I guess it seems like his management of players is the main weak spot, he also doesn't seem to be getting ahead of sensing when someone is going to leave and putting those scholarships back to work immediately.

The simple fact is Grant needed to step his game up and he hasn't. Bruce Pearl is out-recruiting him, Gottfried has outdone Grant, both at Alabama and NC State, he's just not stacking up to what Alabama could be doing, or who Alabama could have doing it.

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
The support of Grant is very similar to what Mark Richt gets. "He's a good man" usually leads off or isn't far behind.

A "good man" and average coach can be found for a lot less than what Grant is making.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
On the Rev. Richt analogy, at least he has had moments ripe with glory at UGA, five yards and a few seconds short though they may have been. Grant hasn't come close to etching any posterity. Grant got to the Dance once and got his "greatest" acclaim for getting left out of it by going 12-4 in the SEC in probably the only season he had any semblance of "coaching" success.

If powers that be have spoken on his immediate future, it would seem that the 3G network (Grant Gotta Go) might now be in need of boosting up to a 4G network (Grant and Gaspard Gotta Go) - and continue to pray and agitate for action, swift though it may not necessarily be...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
7 years. 14 million. 1 NCAA tournament appearance.
Does that $14 mil include Grant's NIT bonus clause money? - if so maybe the NIT selection committee can do him another favor and invite a sub-.500 team from the Barn so he can rake in a little more well-earned dough... Of course, the selection committee would have to consist of Eb from "Green Acres," Minnie Pearl reached by seance, and Gomer Pyle Jr. to give apposite credibility for any post-season tournament basketball involving Grant.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.