Five coaching roads to nowhere

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yes, two of the three toughest gigs in this sport reside in the Big 12. A lot of problems Iowa State has are the same kind of problems that Kansas deals with. Have you ever been to Ames? There are a lot of college campuses across the country that are located in the middle of nowhere, but Ames might actually be nowhere.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo.../the-friday-five-the-toughest-power-five-jobs

I can’t disagree with any of these, although a case could be made for the honorable mentions.

ESPN has the toughest road to the playoff as 1. Vandy, 2. Wake Forest, 3. Wash St., 4. Colorado and 5. Indiana.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/108896/ranking-the-coaching-paths-to-the-playoff

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good article thanks. Hard to argue with those five programs being an almost impossible winnable situation. Only slightly better would be Kentucky in the SEC.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hard to believe that Colorado is one of ESPNs 5 toughest. They used to run out some pretty good teams in the late 80s and into the 90s.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Vanderbilt's "ascent" in record coincided with the implosion of Tennessee (four coaches since 2008) and Florida (three coaches since 2010) and the addition of "have to adjust to the league" Missouri. Franklin was 4-2 in his last two years against those teams. Throw in a carefully crafted OOC, catch Auburn in a dumpster fire year (2012), and steal the usual "lucky win every 4 years" against UGA......and Franklin becomes a genius.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Vanderbilt's "ascent" in record coincided with the implosion of Tennessee (four coaches since 2008) and Florida (three coaches since 2010) and the addition of "have to adjust to the league" Missouri. Franklin was 4-2 in his last two years against those teams. Throw in a carefully crafted OOC, catch Auburn in a dumpster fire year (2012), and steal the usual "lucky win every 4 years" against UGA......and Franklin becomes a genius.
Good comments Bill. In addition to all of the things that fell in Vandy's favor during Franklin's tenure, four of Franklin's thugs are in deep in the Vandrebilt student rape case. Franklin is nothing more than a thug who got lucky and got out before the type players he recruited surfaced. Vandy is Vandy and no coach will make them anything more than a perpetual cellar dweller.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Hard to believe that Colorado is one of ESPNs 5 toughest. They used to run out some pretty good teams in the late 80s and into the 90s.
I seem to remember them winning a National Championship in the 80's. Bill McCartney was their coach then I think. He resigned from coaching to go into some kind of ministry.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I seem to remember them winning a National Championship in the 80's. Bill McCartney was their coach then I think. He resigned from coaching to go into some kind of ministry.
Yeah, he ran some group that got the feminists' panties in a wad. He also had a daughter that got pregnant by their quarterback that died.

I think his religious views didn't set well out there. I always thought he might have been a good fit at Vandy.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
It is hard to argue with either list. Some places just aren't good football schools. Jim Grobe did a fine job at Ohio University and then Wake.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I realize thre are varying degrees of "nowhere" and not so much as Vandy and Kentucky but IMO Miss State, Ole Miss and even USCe, to a lesser degree, are roads to nowhere in the SEC. While these 5 SEC teams have enjoyed some sporadic success, historically they will never be serious contenders in the SEC. Not implying any of them are bad jobs just not the type jobs where you see their HCs move to the next level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.