NCAA: We are not responsible for ..... (our own rules?)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
“I figured if they wanted to talk to me, they would call me,” she said. “As time went by, I was pretty surprised I hadn't heard from anybody. I figured just like the university, they didn't want to discuss this. … If the NCAA wants to depose me and take me to court, do it. Otherwise, game over.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...o-legal-responsibility-for-unc-academic-fraud

I see the NCAA just keeps on making friends. :biggrin2: What a bunch of losers they are. They sure do knock down big bucks in order to kindergarten manage their org.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'm no NCAA fan by any means, but I have to say this lawsuit seems like quite the stretch to me.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If I read this correctly, the NCAA is saying they can require the university to show that the student athletes are making academic progress. However, the quality of that "academic progress" is up to the university. In other words, "we don't care if your student athletes are majoring in Progressive Knitting or Candle Making, and we really don't care if the classes are fraudulent or "paper classes", as long as the student athlete is making progress toward a fluff major or getting passing grades in those "classes". We, the NCAA, are not responsible for what you, the university delivers."

Got the feeling the NCAA is going to try to side step this mess in Chapel Hill and fall back to this is an "accreditation issue" for the school and an NCAA matter only as it relates to the student athlete's eligibility.

This could get interesting.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If I read this correctly, the NCAA is saying they can require the university to show that the student athletes are making academic progress. However, the quality of that "academic progress" is up to the university. In other words, "we don't care if your student athletes are majoring in Progressive Knitting or Candle Making, and we really don't care if the classes are fraudulent or "paper classes", as long as the student athlete is making progress toward a fluff major or getting passing grades in those "classes". We, the NCAA, are not responsible for what you, the university delivers."

Got the feeling the NCAA is going to try to side step this mess in Chapel Hill and fall back to this is an "accreditation issue" for the school and an NCAA matter only as it relates to the student athlete's eligibility.

They have certainly done that before...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Candle Making is actually a pretty complex thing!

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I guess getting too many books is a worse thing than not opening a book. I don't see how after this they can rule any student athlete ineligible whether he went to class or not.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
If I'm on the jury of some of those lawsuits where they are suing because "They didn't make me go to a real class". I would find it hard to find a reason to side with the plantiff. While the school is reprehensible for allowing that to happen, in this life nobody is going to shove opportunity down your throat. You either take it or lose it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
From the NCAA Home Page: Core Values

Core Value #3

The pursuit of excellence in both academics and athletics.

Looks like the NCAA says you can pursue excellence in academics all you want, we just will not guarantee you will catch it. We really only care about the excellence in athletics.

Seriously though, the pursuit of that academic "excellence" includes 17 years of academic fraud, paper classes, fictitious grades, and systemic academic cheating by a member institution? Which also begs the question of how of much of a competitive edge, if any, did the institution gain by playing marginal or possibly ineligible athletes over those years?

Which then brings us to the real issue: Money. Wonder how much rolled into the UNC coffers over those years simply based on the schools participation in the Men's Basketball Tournament? And that is the real issue here.

The NCAA wants to talk about "academics" when it is convenient for them. They want to step away from it when it becomes a financial liability.

I don't believe any of the plaintiffs have much to stand on. For God's sake, you're attending UNC. You're certainly not stupid. If you're being steered into majors or classes, you still have the ability to say "no". However the NCAA is, in my opinion, is treading on a slippery slope here.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Why is the NCAA relevant anymore? The rules for academic excellence are skirted and they fall back on excuses for not doing what they are set up to do. The rules for fair recruiting and playing are skirted and they fall back after being threatened with suits. Just what purpose does the NCAA serve that justifies its cost?
Of course athletes have personal responsibility to do the right thing and pursue an education, as well as the institution. Just as in society we are responsible to follow rules and laws. When that doesn't happen there are penalties. Without consequences people are frail and will take the easier path. Is our society going to totally give up on requiring adherence to guidelines that keep order? If this is the course the NCAA is going to take, abolish it.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Are the big heads in the ncaa not responsible for anything any more? At one time not too many moons ago the ncaa held supreme power over college athletics but now all of a sudden they want to be toothless? The governing body of the ncaa should be held responsible for everything they have penalized colleges for previously and if found guilty by a jury of peers they should have sanctions levied against themselves and lose their ability to hand down sanctions to any institution they deem guilty of an infraction of any kind.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.