Hillary's E-Mail Problem

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_289563/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Fwk8oDHY

The computer server that transmitted and received Hillary Rodham Clinton's emails - on a private account she used exclusively for official business when she was secretary of state - traced back to an Internet service registered to her family's home in Chappaqua, New York, according to Internet records reviewed by The Associated Press.

The highly unusual practice of a Cabinet-level official physically running her own email would have given Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate, impressive control over limiting access to her message archives. It also would distinguish Clinton's secretive email practices as far more sophisticated than some politicians, including Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin, who were caught conducting official business using free email services operated by Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc.

In most cases, individuals who operate their own email servers are technical experts or users so concerned about issues of privacy and surveillance they take matters into their own hands. It was not immediately clear exactly where Clinton ran that computer system.

Operating her own server would have afforded Clinton additional legal opportunities to block government or private subpoenas in criminal, administrative or civil cases because her lawyers could object in court before being forced to turn over any emails. And since the Secret Service was guarding Clinton's home, an email server there would have been well protected from theft or a physical hacking.

A spokesman for Clinton did not respond to requests seeking comment from the AP on Tuesday. Clinton ignored the issue during a speech Tuesday night at the 30th anniversary gala of EMILY's List, which works to elect Democratic women who support abortion rights.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I don't know why people think she's a threat to be President. She has too much history. Digging up dirt on her would be like participating in a 4-year old Easter Egg hunt.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
once a lawyer, always a lawyer. She knew well that she could skirt the FOIA by doing this. Like a coach with a burner phone for illegally texting recruits

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
once a lawyer, always a lawyer. She knew well that she could skirt the FOIA by doing this. Like a coach with a burner phone for illegally texting recruits
She set this up on the day of her Senate confirmation. She knew before she even started the job that she was going to need privacy.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't know why people think she's a threat to be President. She has too much history. Digging up dirt on her would be like participating in a 4-year old Easter Egg hunt.
With all due respect, she is a real threat to win her party's nomination and unless the other party can find someone electable she could win. As for digging up dirt and her political history don't kid yourself, the American electorate no longer cares about a candidate's past actions, good or bad.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
This SHOULD be a big issue, not because I want to read her emails, but because it is clear she set something up as a government official with clear intentions of keeping secret communications with whomever she wants (read: donors and interested parties, foreign and domestic). The REASON behind her wanting to keep her communication secretive should concern us as Americans, whether there is anything of substance found in the e-mails.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So many of them do this, frankly. My biggest problem with it is her sending out sensitive emails via an unsecure site.
you don't have a problem with a politician feeling above the law and that these pesky rules shouldn't apply to them? Should I read that as, your guy did this too?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
With all due respect, she is a real threat to win her party's nomination and unless the other party can find someone electable she could win. As for digging up dirt and her political history don't kid yourself, the American electorate no longer cares about a candidate's past actions, good or bad.
She is a female John McCain. She's old with a long history in politics whose hay day has passed. A lot of people still like her but most of the voters are bored. She can play the "I'm a woman" card, but that won't do it.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
My favorite tale of fake e-mails for bureaucrats was this:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/349934/epa-honors-fake-employee-eliana-johnson

Richard Windsor may be the most famous Environmental Protection Agency employee. Oddly, he does not exist. “Windsor” is the e-mail alias that Lisa Jackson, former head of the EPA and now an environmental adviser to Apple, used to correspond with environmental activists and senior Obama-administration officials, among others.

Windsor, we have learned, was also an employee of significant achievement. Documents released by the agency in response to a Freedom of Information Act request reveal that, for three years, the EPA certified Windsor as a “scholar of ethical behavior.”

All federal employees should aspire to the level of competence and dedication that Mr. Windsor accomplished at the EPA.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I didn't say that, and no you shouldn't. I meant that it's a huge problem throughout this administration (and I'm sure previous ones), but that the biggest issue I have is that she jeopardized sensitive information--with people's lives on the line--by doing this. And I feel like that issue isn't being mentioned.
got it

And I agree completely that her doing this is a huge security risk

I was too caught up in her arrogance to see that as well

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If she's elected President, God forbid it, the idiots, imbeciles and morons of the U.S.A. will have elected her.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So, what you are saying is that Hillary's administration would be just as transparent as the current administration.

You really think Obama uses a .gov email account for all his backroom deals with Iran. I'm not getting worked up until someone shows me a single politician in DC that doesn't use personal email accounts to conduct some business. They'd be stupid not to do it, shoot, I do it at my job.

I'm not a Hillary fan, can't stand the woman but, this doesn't surprise or shock me in the least. I'd be more shocked to find a politician who didn't do this to some extent.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
When I first heard this, I just thought she was using a gmail account or something. That in itself is troubling. But this says she is actually running her own email server. That's an entirely different kind of troubling.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The huge problem with this is that it was very likely poorly secured. It takes a lot of money and effort to properly setup and secure a mail server, and maintain that security. Not that the money isn't there, but you are talking about someone who realistically doesn't have a clue about IT things and even less about IT Security. There's no telling what kind of hacks were done to that server and how many countries have had access to her conversations for however long she's had it running.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The huge problem with this is that it was very likely poorly secured. It takes a lot of money and effort to properly setup and secure a mail server, and maintain that security. Not that the money isn't there, but you are talking about someone who realistically doesn't have a clue about IT things and even less about IT Security. There's no telling what kind of hacks were done to that server and how many countries have had access to her conversations for however long she's had it running.
Well...she didn't accomplish anything as Sec of State. So I don't really know what information would be damaging.

Oh, there was plenty of confidential information she had access to, but what did she ever work on?

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well...she didn't accomplish anything as Sec of State. So I don't really know what information would be damaging.

Oh, there was plenty of confidential information she had access to, but what did she ever work on?
What she knew about Benghazi, and when she knew it, would be interesting.

I don't think she intentionally got those people killed. I do think she underestimated the severity of the situation, despite clearly desperate messages from the Ambassador.

She realized the gravity only too late. As a result, bunch of good people got brutally murdered, and she went scrambling for bleach to remove all that blood on her hands.

Remember her quote? "What difference does it make now?" She might want to ask the widows that one. I bet she wouldn't make it out of the room.

This is also just one example of why the donations to the Clinton Foundation during her time as SoS matter. Look, I don't know if getting money from the Qataris influenced her estimation of other Muslims' actions at Benghazi or not.

We know they ponied up. We know she made a bad call, whether willfully or as an innocent mistake. The very best you can say is that it looks bad, and it spirals into the ground quickly from there.

She simply isn't trustworthy, even as career politicians go, and this is just one more brick in that wall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.