Gary Patterson and TCU Visiting Tuscaloosa to Learn from the Bama Staff

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm trying to figure out what you base this on. Alabama played a much more difficult schedule, and they did play a common opponent.

TCU best West Virginia 31-30, Alabama beat West Virginia 33-23 and their defense was missing a key player. I'm not sure how on earth playing an easier schedule would have made Alabama's defense look worse...
And 7 of those points were due to a kickoff return for a TD, which had nothing to do with the defense at all.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Because TCU ranked behind Alabama in scoring defense, rushing defense, passing defense and total defense in 2014?
I think he was implying that we needed our defensive coaches to go listen to TCU's potent offensive guys, to try and come up with some ideas to snuff out those hot QBs.

edit: thats 'hot QBs' as in capable, not hot as in good looking.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The reason he stated he wanted to visit Alabama was to gain knowledge how we evaluate recruits. I'm sure Coach Saban has a formula he uses to do this, but I think it's part of his makeup and I don't know if it can be taught. We recruit so well that when we take a 3 star now, I believe Coach Saban sees something he can develop.
I'm sure both coaching staffs can take something positive from a meeting like this.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think he was implying that we needed our defensive coaches to go listen to TCU's potent offensive guys, to try and come up with some ideas to snuff out those hot QBs.

edit: thats 'hot QBs' as in capable, not hot as in good looking.
You have been on here long enough to differentiate "hot" from "hawt". Don't let it happen again, aight. :wink:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think this is always cool when you hear about other coaches visiting us or the other way around. Sharing ideas with each other is how you get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I would prefer that the rest of the college football world remain ignorant of our recruiting skills.
But in the talent rich state of Texas, TCU getting a few higher profile guys a year has more potential to affect Texas A&M in recruiting than us. It is an interesting ally. Patterson hasn't had the benefit of Alabama's tradition nor the high profile head coach to lure recruits but has been consistently successful the past several seasons. There are certainly things that each coaching staff can learn from each other.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I'm trying to figure out what you base this on. Alabama played a much more difficult schedule, and they did play a common opponent.

TCU beat West Virginia 31-30, Alabama beat West Virginia 33-23 and their defense was missing a key player. I'm not sure how on earth playing an easier schedule would have made Alabama's defense look worse...
Alabama and TCU actually had 2 common opponents, Ole Miss and West Virginia.
the circumstances were different of course. OM was without their best player, missing some defensive starters , the game was at a neutral site, the bowl game meant a lot more to TCU than it did for OM.
OM resembled nothing like the team that face us in week 5.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.