CFB is Trending Southward

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The landscape of college football is changing. There’s no doubt that the history of traditional powerhouses is still alluring. That said, historically middling SEC and ACC teams are becoming stronger contenders every year, as evidenced by the success of the Mississippi teams, for example, last season.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/sec/cfb-is-trending-southward/

I think the HC salary supports this theory too.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good article, thanks Redwood. Will have to give this some thought, but my initial reaction is that the south is producing better talent due to the greater number of talented black athletes in the states mentioned. While I do not think this is any great revelation; it is a trend that has continued since the early to mid 1970's when southern schools begin to integrate its rosters. Lots of states, Nebraska and Iowa for example, do not produce many FBS high school players and have to try and lure a lot of its players from the south. The catch to this is the distance they have to travel to get to Lincoln and Iowa City, not to mention the climate is not the most hospitable.

Another point we have seen is overall the compensation packages at souther schools appears to be better than the northern schools ( see Bielema's comments about Wisconsin vs Arkansas). These are just a few of my initial thoughts on this subject.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Good article, thanks Redwood. Will have to give this some thought, but my initial reaction is that the south is producing better talent due to the greater number of talented black athletes in the states mentioned. While I do not think this is any great revelation; it is a trend that has continued since the early to mid 1970's when southern schools begin to integrate its rosters. Lots of states, Nebraska and Iowa for example, do not produce many FBS high school players and have to try and lure a lot of its players from the south. The catch to this is the distance they have to travel to get to Lincoln and Iowa City, not to mention the climate is not the most hospitable.

Another point we have seen is overall the compensation packages at souther schools appears to be better than the northern schools ( see Bielema's comments about Wisconsin vs Arkansas). These are just a few of my initial thoughts on this subject.
Good points. I think climate has a lot to do with it. I read somewhere (years ago) that southern lads have two more months of good weather to play sandlot football, which presumably makes them better.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The corollary is they have to deal with 2 more months of crappy weather, which affects their psyche. Not to mention their good-looking lasses (if there are any) have to cover up like they are going to Siberia. (Having lived up north, a lot look like they really are from Siberia. No wonder young men want to head to warmer regions.)

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Good points. I think climate has a lot to do with it. I read somewhere (years ago) that southern lads have two more months of good weather to play sandlot football, which presumably makes them better.
If this is so, and assuming you start really playing football at the age of eight, then two additional months of football per year means that, by 18, you'd have played an addition 5 years of football compared to an otherwise identical northern kid. It probably doesn't matter to the majority of kids, but for those that figure out early how to self-evaluate and push themselves, it would certainly be significant...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If this is so, and assuming you start really playing football at the age of eight, then two additional months of football per year means that, by 18, you'd have played an addition 5 years of football compared to an otherwise identical northern kid. It probably doesn't matter to the majority of kids, but for those that figure out early how to self-evaluate and push themselves, it would certainly be significant...
and it just matters more down here, so you have more of the better athletes leaning toward football instead of other sports, then even at the younger levels the kids get a lot more support to develop, which increases competition and pushes the kids even further.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What'd ya expect where Football is a way of life or religion (lol) in the South?
I think that it starts and ends here. Where I live, most parents are not allowing their kids to play football, even though most of the fathers played football and love the sport. This trend is about 15 years deep now, and getting more prevalent every year.

Without your really strong culture supporting youth football, I can see this becoming an even greater problem in coming years. The South isn't getting stronger - the rest of the country is getting weaker.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think that it starts and ends here. Where I live, most parents are not allowing their kids to play football, even though most of the fathers played football and love the sport. This trend is about 15 years deep now, and getting more prevalent every year.

Without your really strong culture supporting youth football, I can see this becoming an even greater problem in coming years. The South isn't getting stronger - the rest of the country is getting weaker.
Excellent observation.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
2 months x 10 years = 20 months

Where are you getting 5 years?

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The southeastern US is the most populated area of the country. The southeastern US has the best climate in the country for outdoor activities in terms of suitable weather for outside play for kids. The southeastern US is the most sport crazed, football worshiping area of the country. The southeastern US is among the poorest and least educated areas of the country.

Football is a ticket out for many and, at the very least, an enjoyable passion for most. None of this is new and it's really not even a trend. It's been this way almost from the beginning.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'd hate to see football come to an end.

What would our youth who are totally involved in sports do? I think being involved in football is a positive in their lives. Lessons are learned in winning, losing, getting injured, being involved with others in a common goal, having fellowship, being the center of attention in places like Alabama, positive reinforcement from being involved, and so many things that I can't even imagine. People have jobs as a result. People get to be leaders, followers, and a TEAM!

If this goes away, what will our youth be doing that is positive in our society? Become members of gangs? Sit on their cans getting fat?

I honestly hope football does not become extinct. There are toooooooooooo many positives to go with those negatives: esp. injuries and future implications from concussions, etc. There are many life lessons that you learn by participating in such an activity.

And it gives the masses something entertaining to do without their becoming members of gangs or any other negative activities. When you are totally involved in positive things, you don't have time to get involved in negative activities.

So here's a vote to keep High School, Collegiate, and Pro football. Just don't make it two hand touch football or coed football. And no, soccer just won't do it. It's just too boring unless my grandkids are involved. And even when they participate, I have to pinch myself to stay awake.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
P. S.

If it weren't for football, this web site: TideFans.com would not exist. So, another vote to keep football.

This site even gives us a chance to talk about other facets of football other than the games, and to talk about Ancient Aliens and politics in the NONE playing season or anything else that Displaced Bama Fan or anyone else wants to talk about. However, if it weren't for football, I would not be communicating with all the die hard fans on this board.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I remember reading about how, in the early 20th century, people believed that Southern colleges would never be able to match the power of Northern schools (e.g. Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State). I had to re-read that sentence! What a difference a century makes.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I remember the Michigan softball coach saying our girls were practicing in January while Michigan was knee deep in snow -- an advantage for Bama's early game.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I can see that, would also explain why it seems like teams want to get away from running the ball and just throw it down field 50 times a game. I recall a bit on ESPN the other day about the NBA getting soft as well, it seems as if this trend isn't limited to just football.

I would like to add that the southern high schools really invest a lot into their football programs, the communities are rallied behind their respective teams. Kids growing up in the south probably realize a lot sooner than kids elsewhere that football players and "glory" seem to go hand and hand, and it could be the easiest way for those kids to become apart of something greater than just themselves. I also would like to suggest that programs, at inside the Mobile area, don't offer many other alternative sports due to funding issues. If you go to the northeast you'll find that most programs offer a huge variety of sports. And finally, weather has to play a role I would think.

Whatever the reason, I hope it continues to show that the south has risen again, in the form of athletically superior football players! :D

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.