Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrality too"

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrality too"

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/comcast-may-be-infringing-net-neutrality-with-shady-hbo-go-deals

Somebody remind me again why Net Neutrality is a bad thing and these companies should be able to police themselves? Want no access to content you paid for?

​​HBO Go just made its way to Playstation 4—except Comcast subscribers can't get it. Customers have been complaining that they can’t watch HBO on their PS4, even though they pay for it—and there’s been no explanation from Comcast.

It appears, however, that Comcast blocking HBO Go on certain devices is a violation of the new net neutrality rules, experts say.

This sort of blocking isn't new. For Comcast subscribers, HBO doesn't work on Playstation 3 and it also doesn't work on the Amazon Fire streaming box. It didn't work on Roku, an internet-connected streaming box, ​until December, after Roku filed a complaint with the FCC about it. For customers who use other service providers, such as Verizon, Time Warner Cable, and AT&T, HBO Go works fine on Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Roku, and every other streaming device.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrality t

I'll reply to myself and leave it up, even though or maybe especially because I am wrong

great post that describes what is happening

Actually, no, it still would be legal.
That's because Comcast isn't actually tampering with the data transmission over its infrastructure. There's no throttling or blocking on HBOGo itself. Instead, they've just locked up an authentication server that services account verifications for HBOGo on the PS4. Depending on the contractual agreements between HBO and Comcast, they might have the right to do it. But even if they're breeching contract, there's still nothing in US law that prevents this, even with FCC's new decision to regulate ISPs under Title II utility laws.
I mean, it's still scummy, and in practice we would consider it against net neutrality, but we don't actually have net neutrality laws in the US that cover this behavior. Net neutrality is not explicitly enforced. Instead, it's achieved as a byproduct of regulating ISPs as utilities.
Essentially Comcast is forcing users to use a Comcast set top box to access HBO and not allowing third party devices so in a technicality it wouldn't be a net neutrality violation. They don't block the content just don't allow third parties to authenticate to get the content. Slimey but still Okay within the new regulations

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrality t

mean, it's still scummy, and in practice we would consider it against net neutrality, but we don't actually have net neutrality laws in the US that cover this behavior. Net neutrality is not explicitly enforced. Instead, it's achieved as a byproduct of regulating ISPs as utilities.
And if companies like Comcast continue doing this, they'll guarantee that laws will eventually exist that keep them from doing anything like this. It's playing with fire, so to speak.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrali...

I agree, this technically not a net neutrality issue, just a slimy cable company.

Speak with your wallet. Drop them and get DirecTV or Dish, HBO GO will work just fine on a number of devices then.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrali...

"Net neutrality" was not conceived to solve issues like this. You may think it was. You may want to believe it was.

Hint: it wasn't.

Have VoIP, instead of a copper land line? Enjoy not paying the antiquated and unnecessary "subscribe line fee"? Kiss that good-bye. Bet it will be levied, but not to pay for copper lines, to rural subscribers. (No, it hasn't done that in years, despite that is what it is for. Instead, it was hijacked to pay for O'Dumbo Phones.) Since the 'Net is now a gubbament regulated entity (well, at least inside our borders, and not outside, much to O'Dumbo's dismay), they will declare access to it a basic human right, and folks like me will shell out money so deadbeats can get free high-speed access. Anyone wanna bet?

Say "hi" to more regulations, and taxation, and other forms of gubbament stepping on the neck of innovation. Internet sales tax.........closing down of websites that are critical of The Regime..........get ready for it. (Their idea of the new fairness doctrine: criticizing us is not fair, so you won't be allowed to do it. That is our doctrine.)

Of course, the incidence they used to come up with this statist takeover was some petty dispute, that was blown out of proportion, for political reasons. Is anyone really surprised?

I hope you are all happy now. Don't complain to me when you realize they pulled the wool over your eyes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Comcast blocking HBO Go on Playstation 4's, so much for "we want net neutrali...

I agree, this technically not a net neutrality issue, just a slimy cable company.

Speak with your wallet. Drop them and get DirecTV or Dish, HBO GO will work just fine on a number of devices then.
unfortunately, for many (like myself), comcast is the only option. lucky for me, google fiber is on its way

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

and hbogo is working on my apple tv, for now

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

"Net neutrality" was not conceived to solve issues like this. You may think it was. You may want to believe it was.

Hint: it wasn't.

Have VoIP, instead of a copper land line? Enjoy not paying the antiquated and unnecessary "subscribe line fee"? Kiss that good-bye. Bet it will be levied, but not to pay for copper lines, to rural subscribers. (No, it hasn't done that in years, despite that is what it is for. Instead, it was hijacked to pay for O'Dumbo Phones.) Since the 'Net is now a gubbament regulated entity (well, at least inside our borders, and not outside, much to O'Dumbo's dismay), they will declare access to it a basic human right, and folks like me will shell out money so deadbeats can get free high-speed access. Anyone wanna bet?

Say "hi" to more regulations, and taxation, and other forms of gubbament stepping on the neck of innovation. Internet sales tax.........closing down of websites that are critical of The Regime..........get ready for it. (Their idea of the new fairness doctrine: criticizing us is not fair, so you won't be allowed to do it. That is our doctrine.)

Of course, the incidence they used to come up with this statist takeover was some petty dispute, that was blown out of proportion, for political reasons. Is anyone really surprised?

I hope you are all happy now. Don't complain to me when you realize they pulled the wool over your eyes.
so, obama will be shutting down the non-sports board? ;)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

We are so spoiled. Our priorities are so screwed up. We are complaining because we bought a $500 video games system that can stream the Internet on our $2000 TV so we won't have to pay $20/month for the cable company's box.

But we voted for Obama and we hate war, and we think it's ok to kill babies but save trees, and we are willing to give up our guns if you promise to keep the borders open.

Bizarro World is in full effect

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

We are so spoiled. Our priorities are so screwed up. We are complaining because we bought a $500 video games system that can stream the Internet on our $2000 TV so we won't have to pay $20/month for the cable company's box.

But we voted for Obama and we hate war, and we think it's ok to kill babies but save trees, and we are willing to give up our guns if you promise to keep the borders open.

Bizarro World is in full effect
you voted for obama? we are in bizarro world

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Nah -- I didn't, but I now say "we" because I don't live in my world anymore. I live in yours.....
oh, the royal we, then. well, since you are living in my world, you need to pay rent, unless you've got an obama voucher, but those were only handed out to those who voted for him ;)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I'll reply to myself and leave it up, even though or maybe especially because I am wrong

Essentially Comcast is forcing users to use a Comcast set top box to access HBO and not allowing third party devices so in a technicality it wouldn't be a net neutrality violation. They don't block the content just don't allow third parties to authenticate to get the content. Slimey but still Okay within the new regulations
Call up Holder or his successor and convince him/her to file an antitrust lawsuit. This kind of behavior is probably a type of bundling (e.g. United States v. Microsoft).

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Yup,

I get that Comcast want's to try to limit access to their content, and in some ways this isn't really as slimy as one would think. If you are selling something as a premium service, you ensure it works well on the devices you support. Verifying that a service works well across a number of devices and classes isn't easy. This is a whole lot different from throttling the bandwidth (purchased by your client) of your competitor on your network.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

Call up Holder or his successor and convince him/her to file an antitrust lawsuit. This kind of behavior is probably a type of bundling (e.g. United States v. Microsoft).
He's got his plate full right now shutting down police departments.

He'll get around to it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.