Blog: Latest Bama News 3/6/15 Thru 3/8 Weekend Ediition

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Quarterbacks, coaches, coordinators dominate spring stories | College Football-via rbr

So while acknowledging that spring football often provides few definitive answers, a look at some of the most interesting story lines from around the nation.

Interestingly enough, Alabama's QB situation is not mentioned as a big one. That's fine with me, too. Keep your powder dry and let the national rags churn out 700-word puff pieces on Ohio State's QB issues (and, they will be an issue too, at least in the background of Columbus. I have no idea how you keep two legitimate Heisman players and option 2A, who had the Buckeyes' three biggest wins, all happy in an inmate-running-the-asylum program that Meyer notoriously runs.)
rbr op

Last edited:

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
I posted this espn piece, however ICYMI:

Gus Malzahn: Rule change will stunt scoring - SEC Blog - ESPN-via rbr

"This will hurt the high school coaches, too, because a lot of those guys are running the same stuff," Malzahn said. "Those of us coaching in college who came from high school understand how important this is and how much it will change the game. "Scoring will be down. You’re not going to see teams scoring as many points, and when it’s getting harder all the time to get fans to come to games, is that something that college football wants? [emphasis added]"

So, let's recap Gus' latest Jeremiad: enforcing a one-yard buffer that existed for decades hurts fellow high school coaches (it didn't for 50 years,) rattles off a parade of horribles about reduced attendance (a non sequitur,) and fears it will result in lowered scoring since defenses can actually play their side of the ball (it will,) and then asks "is that something college football wants?" You bet your ... it is, Gus.
rbr op

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Is rule proposal on linemen downfield too far afield? via rbr

In a text message, [Rules Committee Chairman, Air Force Head Coach Troy] Calhoun noted that in a survey of FBS coaches conducted last month, only two issues received a majority of support. He said "around 80 percent" of coaches were in favor of expanding instant replay review on onside kicks — and 57% approved of altering the rule on linemen downfield."

Per Chris Lowe, this one has been sent back to the Rules Committee for additional comment, but, with almost 60% of coaches in favor, Malzahn, Freeze and the A-11 crowd see the writing on the wall.
rbr op

Last edited:

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Charlie Strong explains how dismissed players kicked themselves off team | For The Win-via rbr

[QUOTE
Now, some people don’t want to hear the message. And then when they decide that they want to run their own program, then I tell them, ‘You know what? This may not be the place for you. There’s other schools that would love to have you

[/QUOTE]
I love you, Charlie. Compared to your Red River counterpart, there are definite White- and Black-Hats in this age-old feud again.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"It comes down to you": Inside the dream (and nightmare) of kickers-via rbr

"I hope they pull your scholarship" and "I hope you die," to "I hope the team ties you up in the locker room and beats you," in much more colorful language.

Depressing to see death threats and verbal diarrhea towards a 21-year old college kid for missing a field goal aren't just the province of one vocal minority of uncouth idiots. Seriously, slow your roll, people (collectively that is, not you beautiful, sane people:)
rbr op

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Former Gamecock Sidney Rice will donate brain to science for concussion study | Football | Go Gamecocks-via rbr

Rice retired from the Seattle Seahawks this past July at the age of 27 over worries about the long-term effects of absorbing so many blows to the head. Rice said he had at least 10 concussions since he was 8 years old.

The jury is pretty well out on football and concussive effects, as well as what those long-term effects are. A 27-year old former pro retiring at the peak of life, and donating his brain to the cause, is both laudable and likely unnecessary at this point. I hate to put on the jaded lawyer hat for a second, but this seems as much posturing for the second bout of NFL concussion lawsuits (and the pending NCAA one) as anything. Feel free to call me an ....... since I have serious doubts about any form of altruism that is accompanied by fanfare and press conferences.
rbr op

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.