Cop kills 19 yr old in Madison, WI - protests erupt

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Here's my deal. The dead guy probably assaulted the cop. Of course the cop is going to defend himself. No problem with that. Here's my problem. The police officer entered the apartment by himself without back up when back was according to some 30 seconds away. The policeman placed himself in a situation in which the outcome was probably going to lead to violence and he would have only seconds to react. Much like the Tamir Rice shooting. End result was a young man is dead.

I don't think policeman are trained to do a solo entry but rather are trained to wait for back up.

Was the young man a "thug"? Maybe. But I for one don't want the police on the street to be judge ,jury and executioner.
And if he hadn't assaulted the cop he would be alive, regardless of whether the cop followed protocol.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Here's my deal. The dead guy probably assaulted the cop. Of course the cop is going to defend himself. No problem with that. Here's my problem. The police officer entered the apartment by himself without back up when back was according to some 30 seconds away. The policeman placed himself in a situation in which the outcome was probably going to lead to violence and he would have only seconds to react. Much like the Tamir Rice shooting. End result was a young man is dead.

I don't think policeman are trained to do a solo entry but rather are trained to wait for back up.

Was the young man a "thug"? Maybe. But I for one don't want the police on the street to be judge ,jury and executioner.
Kenny was exonerated of any wrongdoing and even received a commendation, the chief said, adding that the incident was "concluded to be a suicide by cop" situation. Robinson was shot after allegedly assaulting Kenny, who was responding Friday evening to a reported disturbance at a Madison residence, Koval said
A disturbance at a residence doesn't always require a call for backup. In most cases, one officer is usually enough to calm the situation. The young man made it worse by assaulting the cop.
Here's the thing about assaulting a cop. You can't get away with it, ever. They can't let you get away with it, not even once.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
And if he hadn't assaulted the cop he would be alive, regardless of whether the cop followed protocol.
Exactly.

These looney tune criminals are responsible for their own actions. In the case of Tamir Rice, the parents are responsible. The officers in these scenarios cannot be held responsible for the actions of both.

Like most people, I've never been a victim of the police. Because I don't attack police officers. If I do, I deserve whatever comes my way. Until these people figure this out for themselves, they'll keep getting shot. I don't have a problem with it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here’s my take.
I do not like seeing young men getting shot either.
The cop in Wisconsin, if he believed an assault was going on, may not have been wrong to go in alone. Just because someone says he is 30 seconds away, does not mean it is so. Things happen, cars make wrong turns, drivers get lost, etc. Meanwhile there was an assault victim who might have gotten killed while the cop was waiting. So, while the back up may have been close, I do not fault the cop for not waiting.
What I see as an unintended consequence of the whole “hands up don’t shoot, all cops are racist” narrative is that it encourages young black men to think it is okay to resist cops. (Now, I bet this particular young man was probably not thinking too clearly, adrenaline and maybe other stuff), but this media narrative has its own dangers, if it encourages young people to decline to cooperate with the police. If a cop is wring, take it up with his boss the next day. Video will help this process so film the cop. “Do not assault a police officer. Ever.” That narrative needs to replace the “Hands up. Don’t shoot” narrative if we want to save young black men’s lives.
By the way, a young African-American woman in Ferguson has come forward to the cops and told them that she was a witness to the Brown shooting and verified that Brown did not have his hands up when he was headed toward the cop, but she declined to come forward immediately after the incident because what she would have said would have contradicted the media narrative, so she kept quiet. I think that says a lot about the media in the US: “Don’t confuse me with the facts. We have a narrative going here! Reality cannot be allowed to contradict the narrative!”

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Exactly.

These looney tune criminals are responsible for their own actions. In the case of Tamir Rice, the parents are responsible. The officers in these scenarios cannot be held responsible for the actions of both.

Like most people, I've never been a victim of the police. Because I don't attack police officers. If I do, I deserve whatever comes my way. Until these people figure this out for themselves, they'll keep getting shot. I don't have a problem with it.
I don't recall Tamir Rice attacking the police. He never had a chance if you watch the video. Sorry, that one was an over zealous cop(s) who pulled up too close to the kid to even give him a verbal warning. They jumped out and gunned him down.

This case is totally different. You have a young adult who knowingly engaging in illegal, possibly threatening behavior and attacked a police officer. These incidents are like comparing apples to oranges.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I don't recall Tamir Rice attacking the police. He never had a chance if you watch the video. Sorry, that one was an over zealous cop(s) who pulled up too close to the kid to even give him a verbal warning. They jumped out and gunned him down.

This case is totally different. You have a young adult who knowingly engaging in illegal, possibly threatening behavior and attacked a police officer. These incidents are like comparing apples to oranges.

Nah. That's why I pretty clearly said the parents were responsible for his behavior in that scenario. They never taught this kid that it's not ok to go around in public holding a toy gun sideways and pointing it at people like he's a gangsta. They don't know if it's a real gun or not, and neither did the police.

Nobody I know with children would allow something like that to happen. The parents are responsible for what happened to that kid. But the blame needs to be placed by the media anywhere and everywhere else except for where it belongs. That's my opinion and don't care who disagrees with it.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Nah. That's why I pretty clearly said the parents were responsible for his behavior in that scenario. They never taught this kid that it's not ok to go around in public holding a toy gun sideways and pointing it at people like he's a gangsta. They don't know if it's a real gun or not, and neither did the police.

Nobody I know with children would allow something like that to happen. The parents are responsible for what happened to that kid. But the blame needs to be placed by the media anywhere and everywhere else except for where it belongs. That's my opinion and don't care who disagrees with it.
You and I agree there's parent responsibility. There's also "professional training" in dealing with kids that one would think a "professional" law enforcement officer had undergone. The problem with the Tamir Rice case is the officer involved in the shooting was a bust for a cop. Go back and look at his resume. One has to wonder how he was hired to begin with.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I said in my post: Of course the cop is going to defend himself. No problem with that.

Was there a "hostage" in the apartment? I musta missed that.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Just wondering if these high crime areas would:

-Stay in school
-Stop having babies out of wedlock at an alarming rate before 18
-Stop using and dealing drugs
-Stop stealing
-stop shooting and killing one another
-abandon gang/thug life
-and stop assaulting police officers

if these police shootings would go down? One wonders.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I'm guessing you don't have kids. Now, I haven't a clue what these parents did or didn't teach the kid, but some kids are never going to get it. Some kids have mental problems. And so on. No way to prove the parents didn't teach the kid.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
You and I agree there's parent responsibility. There's also "professional training" in dealing with kids that one would think a "professional" law enforcement officer had undergone. The problem with the Tamir Rice case is the officer involved in the shooting was a bust for a cop. Go back and look at his resume. One has to wonder how he was hired to begin with.

Well, people have to start realizing that it's a gamble when the law is called. You're not guaranteed how any officer is going to react in any situation. It's a roll of the dice.

Once someone is intelligent enough to realize this, they won't put themselves in a situation that forces another armed individual to have to react. It doesn't matter whether the officer is a bust or not. You're still just as dead.

If you want to guarantee yourself that you'll never be shot by a cop, the way to achieve this is actually quite simple.

The problem is, there's a culture out there that subcribes to a false narrative that they should be able to do pretty much anything they want, and a human being with a gun and a badge should just deal with it flawlessly every time. It don't work like that.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I'm guessing you don't have kids. Now, I haven't a clue what these parents did or didn't teach the kid, but some kids are never going to get it. Some kids have mental problems. And so on. No way to prove the parents didn't teach the kid.
You guessed wrong. Secondly, I don't know if the kid had mental problems or anything else. It's irrelevant. You don't let a 12 year old whether he has mental problems or not, be out in public unsupervised, pointing a gun at people. Period. Apparently the kid was mentally aware enough to take the orange tip out of the gun so it looked just like a real gun.

Some people are never going to get it. You're right about that.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Your kids always without fail do everything you say? I doubt it, unless your wife gave a virgin birth and her name is Mary. You can condemn the parents if you wish. I won't yet.

It is a gamble when the cops are called. Cops are no different than anyone else. They get in bad moods, have bad days, and have faults. We trust they will always do the right thing but they don't. But then I also try to get to know the cops in my area so if they ever show up they will recognize me.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Here’s my take.
I do not like seeing young men getting shot either.
The cop in Wisconsin, if he believed an assault was going on, may not have been wrong to go in alone. Just because someone says he is 30 seconds away, does not mean it is so. Things happen, cars make wrong turns, drivers get lost, etc. Meanwhile there was an assault victim who might have gotten killed while the cop was waiting. So, while the back up may have been close, I do not fault the cop for not waiting.
What I see as an unintended consequence of the whole “hands up don’t shoot, all cops are racist” narrative is that it encourages young black men to think it is okay to resist cops. (Now, I bet this particular young man was probably not thinking too clearly, adrenaline and maybe other stuff), but this media narrative has its own dangers, if it encourages young people to decline to cooperate with the police. If a cop is wring, take it up with his boss the next day. Video will help this process so film the cop. “Do not assault a police officer. Ever.” That narrative needs to replace the “Hands up. Don’t shoot” narrative if we want to save young black men’s lives.
By the way, a young African-American woman in Ferguson has come forward to the cops and told them that she was a witness to the Brown shooting and verified that Brown did not have his hands up when he was headed toward the cop, but she declined to come forward immediately after the incident because what she would have said would have contradicted the media narrative, so she kept quiet. I think that says a lot about the media in the US: “Don’t confuse me with the facts. We have a narrative going here! Reality cannot be allowed to contradict the narrative!”

They already know they're not supposed to assault police officers. A slogan isn't going to suddenly bring them to their senses. "WE" can't save young black men's lives. They have to save their own lives by not doing what they already know they shouldn't do. Nobody believes that it's ok to assualt a cop. That's nonsense. They know better.

"Black Lives Matter" and "Hands up don't shoot" is just another ploy to make it all somebody else's fault and not accept any responsibility for their own behavior.

The black female witness didn't come forward immediately with the truth because she'd be seen as a traitor to her own in the black community. This is the ghetto blueprint. Anytime cops are investigating a murder in these type of places and canvasing the neighborhood, nobody witnessed anything. They can't be seen telling the cops what they saw.

Instead, they'll usually call in anonymously later and describe what they witnessed. This is how the game is played. Justice nor honesty is ever the top priority. The top priority is to remain loyal to your black folks. Yet constantly chanting for "justice" anytime it involves a white police officer.

It's not justice they're after.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well, people have to start realizing that it's a gamble when the law is called. You're not guaranteed how any officer is going to react in any situation. It's a roll of the dice.

Once someone is intelligent enough to realize this, they won't put themselves in a situation that forces another armed individual to have to react. It doesn't matter whether the officer is a bust or not. You're still just as dead.

If you want to guarantee yourself that you'll never be shot by a cop, the way to achieve this is actually quite simple.

The problem is, there's a culture out there that subcribes to a false narrative that they should be able to do pretty much anything they want, and a human being with a gun and a badge should just deal with it flawlessly every time. It don't work like that.
Tamir Rice was 12. Let that sink in for a minute. He never pointed the air soft gun at the cops. The cops rolled up on him, the cop jumped out and started shooting. So in regards to this case, you're wrong. A 12 year old boy with an air soft gun...what threat did he pose to the cops?

Watch the video...he never knew what hit him literally or figuratively. The cops were on him and shooting at him before he could do anything. I'm sure he was just as shocked and scared by the events unfolding as rapidly as they did.

I don't know the kid and I don't know if he was street wise or a trouble maker at school. But, if a cop rolled up on my son playing with an airsoft gun and gunned him down, I guarantee you I'd take him out. And yes, I have a 12 year old son.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Your kids always without fail do everything you say? I doubt it, unless your wife gave a virgin birth and her name is Mary. You can condemn the parents if you wish. I won't yet.

It is a gamble when the cops are called. Cops are no different than anyone else. They get in bad moods, have bad days, and have faults. We trust they will always do the right thing but they don't. But then I also try to get to know the cops in my area so if they ever show up they will recognize me.

When it involves guns they do. Toy or no toy. When it involves cops they do. Bust cop or no bust cop.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.