Substitution patterns...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've never really understood them with Grant. Early on, they just seemed random. Recently, they've seemed to make more sense. I can see holding out Coleman until injuries made it necessary to use him. However, when you have someone on the bench with Slaughter's accuracy and quick release, you just have to use him. He basically broke the game open and we lose without him. What about some of the other close games? Could we have won some of them by using DS more?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've always wondered why he didn't get some opportunities to play the past couple of years. I've always advocated playing all your players to get them experience because you never know when you are going to need them. Plus, some players just need an opportunity and it helps overall team morale.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I've never really understood them with Grant. Early on, they just seemed random. Recently, they've seemed to make more sense. I can see holding out Coleman until injuries made it necessary to use him. However, when you have someone on the bench with Slaughter's accuracy and quick release, you just have to use him. He basically broke the game open and we lose without him. What about some of the other close games? Could we have won some of them by using DS more?
I've never understood why he didn't get more playing time. I watched them practice two years ago, and he performed really well.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I asked 2 years ago why Slaughter wasn't playing and was roundly criticized. Now at the end of his career we find that he can contribute in meaningful way. The question is why he languished on the bench for 3 years.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
That's the way it is with a lot of coaches. No matter what you do you can't get an opportunity. CAG probably thought that slaughter was a liability on defense which he may have been. But he would have given you so much more on offense. I think his handling shows just how much CAG coached his teams toward his his background as a defensive coordinator.

I bet if you go back and look at all his teams if we had averaged scoring 70+ppg and allowed like 60+ppg we would most likely have been a tournament team most years. It's crazy that we are facing looking for a new coach who failed to recognize that if would have somehow scored an additional 10ppg we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's the way it is with a lot of coaches. No matter what you do you can't get an opportunity. CAG probably thought that slaughter was a liability on defense which he may have been. But he would have given you so much more on offense. I think his handling shows just how much CAG coached his teams toward his his background as a defensive coordinator.

I bet if you go back and look at all his teams if we had averaged scoring 70+ppg and allowed like 60+ppg we would most likely have been a tournament team most years. It's crazy that we are facing looking for a new coach who failed to recognize that if would have somehow scored an additional 10ppg we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
DS didn't appear to me to be a real handicap on defense, at least in zone. And I was looking for it, trying to figure out why he hadn't played more...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What we don't know is what kind of "practicer" he is. I'm not saying practice matters more than games because some guys can just turn it on during a game, but we don't know what kind of attitude he displays in practice and it might just be (if his attitude and general disposition for team-play isn't good in practice) that CAG might just be stubborn enough not to play a player who might turn it on during a game.

No inside info...just a thought.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What we don't know is what kind of "practicer" he is. I'm not saying practice matters more than games because some guys can just turn it on during a game, but we don't know what kind of attitude he displays in practice and it might just be (if his attitude and general disposition for team-play isn't good in practice) that CAG might just be stubborn enough not to play a player who might turn it on during a game.

No inside info...just a thought.
If he's not gung-ho in practice, that would greatly surprise me with a former walkon...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I haven't payed that much attention to him but how did he stack up on defense?
I'd say "adequate" in zone. I think he'd have a hard time keeping up in man, so that would be a liability, so far as switching defenses. However, I wasn't advocating playing them the whole game. I was just wondering why he wasn't used earlier in the season like he was against TAMU...

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
Like it or not, CAG measures PT on defensive strategy, and DS is not fleet of foot, for his position. It is why he has not played. His substitution patters were always based on what the other teams offense was doing. I don't know that i agree with that strategy. There were a few times in the past few years where we just went 4 guards (because of injuries or fouls) and lit the opposition up.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Slaughter is not the only kid who didn't see the floor much. Retin didn't play much early in the year when Tarrant was playing so he got few if any minutes. Now if he wasn't playing we'd have lost out for the season. he has been a spark with his defense and his ability to drive to the basket. People say he was hurt, but I saw him play some ealry games where he looked just fine.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Slaughter is not the only kid who didn't see the floor much. Retin didn't play much early in the year when Tarrant was playing so he got few if any minutes. Now if he wasn't playing we'd have lost out for the season. he has been a spark with his defense and his ability to drive to the basket. People say he was hurt, but I saw him play some ealry games where he looked just fine.
And that's a curiouser thing yet about Grant, because Retin Obasohan's gotta be the closest he's come to actually developing a player who's played for him in his six years at Alabama.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I'd say "adequate" in zone. I think he'd have a hard time keeping up in man, so that would be a liability, so far as switching defenses. However, I wasn't advocating playing them the whole game. I was just wondering why he wasn't used earlier in the season like he was against TAMU...
Makes sense, I've always hated the player that scored 15 and the guy he was defending scored 25.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.