News Article: College bbal scoring decline and what to do to fix

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I also think they should eliminate the 4 TV timeouts each half. That is such a momentum buster. It keeps Coaches from using their timeouts until the last few minutes of the game. Too much time to rest for the players. And creates weird substitution patterns.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I think we need to move the 3 pt. area back to NBA specs and widen the lane to NBA specs. I'm not a big fan of the "restricted" area under the basket. Either the player has position and it's a charge or he/she doesn't have position and it's a block.
The story suggests to widen the lane from current 12 to 14 ft. [not the NBA 16] and changing the 3 pr line to the 22" of international play instead of the NBA 23"9'. They seem like ways to improve without going all the way to NBA specs.

Whaddyou think?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
The story suggests to widen the lane from current 12 to 14 ft. [not the NBA 16] and changing the 3 pr line to the 22" of international play instead of the NBA 23"9'. They seem like ways to improve without going all the way to NBA specs.

Whaddyou think?
This seems reasonable and could help.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Is the problem really the rules? Seems to me, while watching games, that the players just suck at shooting these days. I don't know how you change the kids' attitudes toward the fundamentals but, all they want to do is dunk to get on ESPN. I don't see how changing the rules is going to help when they can't hit wide open jumpers now. Maybe they should make the hoop larger?

JayRock

3rd Team
Feb 10, 2004
hueytown, al, usa
Re: College b-ball scoring decline and what to do to fix

Right on!!! Seems like every charge/block call goes against the ball-handler these days. I remember when it was if the defender was moving, it was a block.
These bogus charge calls have killed the game for me. Charges and flopping. I can't blame a player for not wanting to drive to the basket for fear of getting a wrongly called charging foul against him. These refs seem to love to call it no matter if it's the correct call.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
Is the problem really the rules? Seems to me, while watching games, that the players just suck at shooting these days. I don't know how you change the kids' attitudes toward the fundamentals but, all they want to do is dunk to get on ESPN. I don't see how changing the rules is going to help when they can't hit wide open jumpers now. Maybe they should make the hoop larger?
LOL! I wondered when someone would make a suggestion that is simple and will actually work! :)

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Eliminate the one-and-done. I'm not really a basketball fan, but it seems that if the best players are leaving early and teams aren't reaching maturity, then scoring will be lower.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Eliminate the one-and-done. I'm not really a basketball fan, but it seems that if the best players are leaving early and teams aren't reaching maturity, then scoring will be lower.
Jim Calhoun said the same thing today on Mike and Mike.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
How about reducing the number of free throw attempts; give the team that is fouled the option of shooting free throws (in a two-foul shot situation), or possession of the ball. Might not mean more scoring, but watching guys brick free throws is pretty dull. The way it is now, fouling is rewarded if you hack the right guy (a weak shooter). I'd rather see the ball in play than a free throw contest. Not saying take free throws out completely, just reduce the number somewhat.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
How about reducing the number of free throw attempts; give the team that is fouled the option of shooting free throws (in a two-foul shot situation), or possession of the ball. Might not mean more scoring, but watching guys brick free throws is pretty dull. The way it is now, fouling is rewarded if you hack the right guy (a weak shooter). I'd rather see the ball in play than a free throw contest. Not saying take free throws out completely, just reduce the number somewhat.
You may have something . . How about modifying your idea to begin when a team is in the bonus? If the other team keeps fouling , they are repeatedly denied possession of the ball AND the team with possession gets opportunities to score.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
That could work. I was thinking making the rule consistent with what is in place now - up to the 7th team foul, the fouled team gets possession (on non-shooting fouls), might make it easier to accept. On the other hand, with DVR capability, I just delete the games we lose without watching, and when I do watch, skip over the dead spots, so I 'll probably leave this windmill for others to joust.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.