The "Boz" at 50

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
He sat right behind be at the Notre Dame game in 2013. A pleasant guy to talk football with for a few minutes (even though he was rooting for Notre Dame, :) ).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I watched the 30 for 30 about him and he was a a-hole at OU but was a great, great player. It appears as he aged he realized how bad "Boz" was at OU and has made amends with OU, Switzer and fans.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If we're honest with ourselves we all get more "wisdom" as we grow older. I totally agree with him about the game today. He played it like it was meant to be and was very good at it.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Bo running over the Boz is still one of my favorite plays of all time. You can talk trash all you want, but you better back it up on the field.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Cornelius Bennettwas better imho. He also should have won the Butkas award over the BOZ.

Just think how good the Biscuit could have been if he had been all roided up. Boz is the last person to tell a young player it's all about the team. He was a look at me player if there ever has been one.

I still dislike him.......again thats JMHO.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Cornelius Bennettwas better imho. He also should have won the Butkas award over the BOZ.

Just think how good the Biscuit could have been if he had been all roided up. Boz is the last person to tell a young player it's all about the team. He was a look at me player if there ever has been one.

Speaking of that, how the heck is Bennett not in the Pro HOF?!

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

I agree about Biscuit but not about the Boz. His past is exactly why he is the right guy to talk to young people today and tell them he regrets that decision. Sounds like that is what he is doing. I now have a ton of respect for him. He is trying be better, which we all need to do, unless of course, you're perfect. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think Boz was an overrated freak of nature (and synthetic hormones) who played in a conference that was still running the wishbone and option offenses. I thought back in 1986 that Cornelius Bennett was the more complete player, and nothing has changed my mind on that.

That being said.....I'm glad Boz has realized what an opportunity he wasted. All of us gain wisdom as we age and Boz is no exception.

A good football player in college? Yes, but simply go look at who OU played while Boz was there. In 1986, they played only FOUR TEAMS that won more than six games. They lost to Miami (like they always did when they were playing an NFL-style offense), and Boz didn't play against Arkansas due to his steroids suspension. The other two teams were UCLA and a Nebraska team whose reputation depended entirely upon Oklahoma's reputation (back when it was the Big Two and the Little Six).

Their 1985 schedule was a bit more challenging (which isn't saying much), but they again lost to Miami, barely beat an 8-4 Texas team, and were considered "dominant" but really weren't. In 1984, OU didn't play one team that had more than seven wins until their final three games of the year, and they went 2-1.

What I'm saying is that his stats were compiled by running up huge numbers against teams like one-win Colorado, perennially pathetic Iowa State, worst team of the first century of football K-State and mostly cream puffs. He DID play a good 1986 Orange Bowl, I'll give him that. But the stats were inflated at the time.

Nevertheless, I'm glad he can have some positive retrospection, and to be honest, I'm also glad it's not from the confines of a prison cell - too many wind up there.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I watched the 30 for 30 about him and he was a a-hole at OU but was a great, great player. It appears as he aged he realized how bad "Boz" was at OU and has made amends with OU, Switzer and fans.
He was just playing the "heel" of college football. He wasn't a bad person in college: the Boz and Brian Bosworth have always been two separate identities.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
With the exception of our own Leroy Jordan, I think Bosworth was the best COLLEGIATE linebacker to ever play in the modern era. I had an opportunity to see him play in person several times.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.