4 star OT Jean Delance Decommits from OU, Indicates Interest in Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He just tweeted he was offered by Alabama. The only reason this appears to be a story is because of when he decommitted from OU.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
What happened in that video is neither exclusive to Oklahoma nor SAE. I respect the young man's decisions and actually applaud him, but any attempt to run from bigotry will be futile. Sadly, it's in every corner of the earth and all points in between.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What happened in that video is neither exclusive to Oklahoma nor SAE. I respect the young man's decisions and actually applaud him, but any attempt to run from bigotry will be futile. Sadly, it's in every corner of the earth and all points in between.
Correct. Shouldn`t be a universal indictment against SAE. It is, however, an indictment against the lamebrains in the OU chapter. I`d hazard a guess that there were some SAEs that did not take part in all that, may well have not approved, but will now have to pay a price for the actions of some fools.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
SAE is the elite fraternity on many campuses and unless I am mistaken, they are the nations largest. It starts with their parents attitudes before the kids get to a university and the culture that exists in most of their chapters. My fraternity at Alabama has had African American, Hispanics and even some Asians members so not all fraternities have the same attitude toward diversity. White kids are the vast majority, but we judge kids on their character, not their skin color.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Actually Sigma Phi Epsilon is the nations largest fraternity. When I was attending UAB and a member of SigEP in the late 70's we were second to SAE but passed them some years ago. We also included minorities back then but really thought nothing of it at the time.

The chapter at Alabama is currently considered one of the top 25 in the nation.

The chant SAE was yelling sounded like something from the 60's. I found it shocking and agree with OU's response.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It sounds like this kids mother has had racial incidents in her life. I certainly understand her not wanting had son to be around it. Racism and bigotry are taught behaviors. No one is born with racist views and all of us need to teach our children this is not right. I'm a 66 yo white man. One of my best friends is an African American about my same age. You should hear some of the things he's been through simply because his skin is a different color.
I would love to think that some day all these attitudes will change, but I'm doubtful.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regarding the larger issue: You can find this sort of stuff anywhere, from the Ivy League to Stanford to Berkley and every college in between. It's just that most of it isn't as blatant or recorded or posted on the net.

Regarding the smaller issue: I think this was an emotional decision by Delance. When he realizes it's a reflection of a small part of the world that nevertheless exists everywhere, I'm guessing he'll be back at OU.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Actually Sigma Phi Epsilon is the nations largest fraternity. When I was attending UAB and a member of SigEP in the late 70's we were second to SAE but passed them some years ago. We also included minorities back then but really thought nothing of it at the time.

The chapter at Alabama is currently considered one of the top 25 in the nation.

The chant SAE was yelling sounded like something from the 60's. I found it shocking and agree with OU's response.
I didnt know that sigep made it back on campus at Alabama. When i was there 6 years ago they were kicked off campus for badly hazing pledges. http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20081202/NEWS/812010189?p=2&tc=pg. Not sure that fraternity should be considered top 25.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yeah, the previous chapter was a joke but they are now back with a vengeance.

From SigEp Journal fall of 2014: Region 5, Alabama number 1 with a overall GPA of 3.47, Above ACA (other campus chapters) GPA is .59 higher. Rank on campus, 1/20, Manpower 90. Sounds like a top 25 chapter to me.

Other SEC chapters for example are South Carolina, GPA 3.53, number 1 in Region 3.
Georgia, GPA 3.45 number 2 in Region 3. Also both chapters are ranked number 1 on campus.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think he made a knee jerk reaction and will return to Oklahoma. I thought it showed immaturity to walk away because, as you pointed out, you can't avoid ignorance.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree and will add, it's kinda like leaving a church because you believe you've discovered a hypocrite in the ranks. You find another church, thinking they don't have hypocrites, and guess what, you'll find one before the "new member" luncheon.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I agree and will add, it's kinda like leaving a church because you believe you've discovered a hypocrite in the ranks. You find another church, thinking they don't have hypocrites, and guess what, you'll find one before the "new member" luncheon.
Great analogy

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Unless he plans to turn a blind eye to these things, he might as well just go back to his pledge to OU. That same chant isn't eclusive to SAE on their (OU's) campus (unfortunately), and he'll find the same thing at other schools he's interested in with a little probing...and that's all I am going to say.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.