Question: Any Home School Parents here?

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
The wife and I are seriously considering pulling our oldest out of public school. He will be headed to middle school next year, and our plan as of now would be to homeschool 6-8 grades. We are looking at a program called Classical Conversations.
Anyone have any experience with this particular program, or any other for that matter?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We homeschool and did one cycle (3 years) of CC when the kids were younger, it was 'Foundations'. For the older kids there are more advanced courses. I like CC a lot, but there's tons of time spent memorizing things like the time line that, unless they continue to work on it, will fade as they get older. We decided after one full cycle that we could better educate them via more traditional course work, but we know quite a few families with kids that seem to flourish CC.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
CA, thanks for the input! Did you try any other group/community programs. We attended a CC open house yesterday, I like the idea of the once a week school day setting. I think CC success is somewhat dependent on the skill level of the director and tutors, would you agree?
I love living in PCB, but we are on the high side statistically of Middle School drug use, sexuality, etc. We have to make a change!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think CC success is somewhat dependent on the skill level of the director and tutors, would you agree?
Without question. Classical education isn't a new concept, nor is it exclusive to the CC program, but the right director makes a HUGE difference and the program is solid. CC was definitely a fantastic way to 'learn the ropes'. It really helps transition, so to speak - and I know a few kids who did CC all the way through school, graduated HS with a great education and had their pick of schools to attend.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
We are homeschoolers, we don't use CC, or any of the religious based homeschool curricula. My wife handles most of the details, we are a part of several different groups. Benefit of being in a big city

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
We home school my 2nd grader. Home Life Academy in the umbrella group. She works from 9:00 until about 1:00 each day. She's reading on a 5th grade level and has excellent math skills so in her case it's been very successful. I suspect that's what you'll hear from most home schooling parent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.