Link: Electric Chair ("Yellow Mama") Bill Passes Alabama House

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I have no problem with doing away with the needle and making yellow mama the ONLY method of execution in this state.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I believe this is going to cost the tax-payers of Alabama a bunch of money before all is said and done.
Trying to hit DoJ's/Federal judiciary's moving goalposts on what exactly is cruel and unusual punishment is time-consuming and expensive.
My own view is that hanging was the widely-accepted method of executions in 1787, so that fits a punishment that is neither "cruel" nor "unusual."
But DoJ/Federal judiciary does not see it that way, so I'd recommend doing away with capital punishment altogether, even though many criminals richly deserve it.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
My late grandfather (passed away in 2007), in his final days told my Mom as he was slipping away that he had just gotten back from a public execution where a man was hanged and the whole town turned out to watch.

The best we could determine was that his mind was recalling events from his childhood. He was born in Covington County, MS in 1914 and probably witnessed his share of hangings before he turned 21.

I did not know that hangings were still legal as a form of execution in the states of Massachusetts and Washington. No one has been hanged in the United States since 1936.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I believe this is going to cost the tax-payers of Alabama a bunch of money before all is said and done.
Possibly, but the tax-payers are already paying a big chunk of money for those waiting on death roll since the state ran of the injection fluid leading to those individuals continuing to remain in prison until the state can get the necessary fluids to resume lethal injection.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Possibly, but the tax-payers are already paying a big chunk of money for those waiting on death roll since the state ran of the injection fluid leading to those individuals continuing to remain in prison until the state can get the necessary fluids to resume lethal injection.
Because of all the court cases, appeals, and appeals of appeals, executing someone is just a bank-breaker today. I have no ethical problems with executing the deserving (just google "heinous crime" to find deserving candidates), but my pragmatic side says it is probably most merciful to the tax-payers to stop trying.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
im sure there are medical reasons why not, but i have always wondered why, if you are going to execute someone, you couldn't give them a heavy sedative, putting them to sleep or pretty close to it, then fill the room up with carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A Federal judge would rule that cruel and unusual punishment (which is Federaljudgespeak for "I don't like it.")
If I were condemned to die, though, I agree, that would probably be what I would choose.

That or...

Chased to death by topless women.
and you can get carbon monoxide to boot

Last edited by a moderator:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
im sure there are medical reasons why not, but i have always wondered why, if you are going to execute someone, why you couldn't give them a heavy sedative, putting them to sleep or pretty close to it, then fill the room up with carbon monoxide.
Nitrogen does both. You become light-headed, lose consciousness, and eventually asphyxiate.
And our atmosphere is mostly nitrogen anyway, so it's cheap to obtain and doesn't poison anything.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Nitrogen does both. You become light-headed, lose consciousness, and eventually asphyxiate.
And our atmosphere is mostly nitrogen anyway, so it's cheap to obtain and doesn't poison anything.
yeah, that's what made me think of that. i was figuring the warden could just run a hose from his car to the cell. gas is relatively cheap these days

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think the Death Penalty should cause the inmate that receives the DP as a form of punishment as much pain as humanly possible..Cause the inmate that receives the DP as a form of punishment almost always caused the person or persons they killed a great deal of pain when they killed that person or persons..

I think that inmates that receives the DP should suffer a lot of pain at the end of their punishment & at the very end of their lives..They should be caused a lot of pain like they caused the person or persons they killed..An "Eye For An Eye" I say & that may cause future killers pause when they think this might happen to them & could be a deterrent I guess is what I'm saying..I think "Yellow Mama" would be a better deterrent..
im sure there are medical reasons why not, but i have always wondered why, if you are going to execute someone, you couldn't give them a heavy sedative, putting them to sleep or pretty close to it, then fill the room up with carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think the Death Penalty should cause the inmate that receives the DP as a form of punishment as much pain as humanly possible..Cause the inmate that receives the DP as a form of punishment almost always caused the person or persons they killed a great deal of pain when they killed that person or persons..

I think that inmates that receives the DP should suffer a lot of pain at the end of their punishment & at the very end of their lives..They should be caused a lot of pain like they caused the person or persons they killed..An "Eye For An Eye" I say & that may cause future killers pause when they think this might happen to them & could be a deterrent I guess is what I'm saying..I think "Yellow Mama" would be a better deterrent..
I prefer my justice not to resemble torture fantasy.

Pugsley

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I have often wondered why regular anesthesia could not be used. I few years ago I had to be put under for back surgery. When talking to the anesthesia doctor I asked why he charged so much for the procedure. He said because he had the expertise to wake me up afterwards. If that is the case, we could use an executioner who just gives someone 50x the recommended rate. Guy is dead. As humanly as possible to the general public does not complain about cruelty.

I, on the other hand think the guillotine should be used. In public. All children aged 10+ should be allowed to watch.

You commit a terrible crime, the state cuts your head off. You don't get to go to prison and play checkers, lift weights and watch tv. You get your head removed from your body. I also think death row inmates should be cremated and the ashes displayed in large glass containers in front of the courthouse.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I have often wondered why regular anesthesia could not be used. I few years ago I had to be put under for back surgery. When talking to the anesthesia doctor I asked why he charged so much for the procedure. He said because he had the expertise to wake me up afterwards. If that is the case, we could use an executioner who just gives someone 50x the recommended rate. Guy is dead. As humanly as possible to the general public does not complain about cruelty.

I, on the other hand think the guillotine should be used. In public. All children aged 10+ should be allowed to watch.

You commit a terrible crime, the state cuts your head off. You don't get to go to prison and play checkers, lift weights and watch tv. You get your head removed from your body. I also think death row inmates should be cremated and the ashes displayed in large glass containers in front of the courthouse.
Don't know that I agree with children watching someone being ptd via guillotine. Once the head is removed and the body relaxes, all kinds of stuff starts poring out.

As for the remains, the family always has the right of first refusal. That should continue. If the family doesn't want them, there's always a demand for topsoil at the landfill. Either that or as an additive in concrete blocks - for more prisons, naturally.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Some people don't need any sedative at all. Their crimes are so heinous that they deserve to live through as much pain as possible. Maybe they would internally pose a question: "Why did I do what I did?" Then, comes the PAIN!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

They say capital punishment is not a deterrent. Well, if we knew for sure that a person committed a horrible crime the death penalty should be imposed as soon as it can be done, like IMMEDIATELY and NOT 15 to 20 years after the heinous crime has been committed. Yes! That's NOT a deterrent.

The reason it's not a deterrent is not many face this consequence and if they do especially in Texas, it's imposed many, many, many years after the crime has been committed. Stop wasting tax payers money on lodging and food and clothes and toothpaste, weights, sports equipment, computers, and lawyers, etc. on jerks who do the crime.

In addition, when a person commits a crime like the guys/nuts/racists did in East Texas, dragging a person miles until dead, the same thing should have happened to them so that JUSTICE would be served.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.