Post season thread...

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
Is there any chance CAG/CBB decline an invite to the NIT? I think not but this year more than most is a HUGE disappointment to not go Big Dancing.

If we do go, here's to a deep run to NYC Final Four at least.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Apparently being the 69th best team in America is worth 2 mill a year with a bonus for making the NIT. This is the pitiful level of expectation the athletic administration has for us.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
Coach Battle got off to a nice start with pushing through the new baseball facility. I'm afraid if he lets this thing fester any "good graces" he earned taking over for Mal could be all but forgotten.

As for any postseason play in any sport, I hope the young guys benefit from it- BUT- If Bama hosts an NIT game I think Cecil Hurt may be the only person in attendance- and I think he HAS to go.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What the people want and what the powers want aren't always the same, but if some of these quotes we are hearing about the BOT and PTB are true it sounds like the powers aren't thinking the same thing the poeple are thinking.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Apparently being the 69th best team in America is worth 2 mill a year with a bonus for making the NIT. This is the pitiful level of expectation the athletic administration has for us.
Whoa, there. If Grant's "led" 'Bama to a No. 2 NIT seed as projected, that means he's "leading" the 73rd, 74th, 75th or 76th-best team in America - not the 69th-best. The No. 1-NIT seeds compete for that "distinction." Big difference there in assessing Grant's salary and the justification for paying it to keep him on the job.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I'm having a hard time figuring out what to post in the post-season thread until I know for sure who the coach will be next season.

It is not too early to talk about returning players but have a fear of possible transfers...

Bama's core will be pretty strong next season even without Cooper and Randolph:

Taylor may be a real force next year. If he can put on a some "good" weight; he showed me something over the last 10 or so games.

Norris needs some polishing but he is a true freshman; future is bright.

Obasohan has really improved and may be the next team captain.

Tarrant needs work on point-guard play but he will probably play at the two spot most of the time. He has the quickness and feet but needs a little more desire on defense.

Hale will hopefully get stronger and add more power to his game; he may have NBA skills but is a little slow.

Kessens has size and ability; needs to get stronger as well but already has decent weight. I'd like to see all the bigs get some serious strength and conditioning work.

Have to remember that Coleman is a true freshman. He has shown that he has true point guard skills but is learning in the decision department.

Mitchell never really did much this year but played some. I don't know what to expect from the new players (recruits and redshirt).

I'd say the 1st five above make up a pretty solid team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Billy Donovan: Alabama better hope Anthony Grant comes back

Billy Donovan didn't mince words.

After his Florida team beat Alabama 69-61 Thursday in the SEC Tournament, I asked Donovan what he would say to anyone who thinks Anthony Grant should not be retained as the Crimson Tide's coach.

Donovan spoke for three solid minutes on the kind of man and coach Grant is.

In conclusion, Donovan started to say that firing Grant would be "the biggest mistake," then said this: "Let's put it this way. Alabama better hope he comes back. That's what I would say."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Question--Wasn't Grant going to be the Head Coach at Florida until Billy Donovan changed his mind about leaving for the Orlando Magic?
IIRC, it never got that far, but there was some rampant speculation about CAG going to UF.

Somebody else may remember more about this.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I appreciate the nice words from donnovan, and I agree with his assesment from an X O standpoint, but again we have a team that fights hard, plays well but cannot win a game that matters. I like CAG and until Vanderbilt loss had no thoughts that his job was in jeopardy. I think it is time however, He had a decent chance this year and just can't get the team over the hump.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I think they'll be in the NIT. One has to think, is that what Bama basketball is to expect?!
Yes, as long as Grant is the coach.

He's our Mark Richt, a coach who falls short every year but, the PTB will keep him around because he's a "good guy". Shula was a good guy but, I don't think anyone would say he should still be our coach. If you are satisfied with mediocrity (like the folks in charge seem to be) then by all means keep Grant forever. NIT is not and never will be good enough for me. I'll support the team but, I have no more support for Grant.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
IIRC, it never got that far, but there was some rampant speculation about CAG going to UF.

Somebody else may remember more about this.
I'm not going to search for or link the article, but it was more than speculation. There was a story that Jeremy Foley was in Richmond set to offer the job to CAG, but Donovan called him and told him he had changed his mind and wanted to come back to UF.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Yes, as long as Grant is the coach.

He's our Mark Richt, a coach who falls short every year but, the PTB will keep him around because he's a "good guy". Shula was a good guy but, I don't think anyone would say he should still be our coach. If you are satisfied with mediocrity (like the folks in charge seem to be) then by all means keep Grant forever. NIT is not and never will be good enough for me. I'll support the team but, I have no more support for Grant.

comparing him to Richt is a complement. At l Richt has gotten Georgia into the SEC championship game. I think he is more in line with Shula without the excuse of sanctions on the program. Also, I wouldn't put to much stock into what Billy Donovan said, after all, they are friends, so his judgement on the job Coach Grant is doing is clouded.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
LOL. That's like asking the fox to watch the chicken coop. Donovan isn't going to say Alabama should fire Grant - that's one of his best friends and pupils. In addition, how many times has Grant beat him. Answer - Zero. Of course Donovan is going to take up for his guy and want Bama to keep him because it would ultimately not look good on him for Grant to get canned. Similarly, how when Saban was asked about Dooley and TN. Saban endorsed him. Along the same exact lines, Dooley was O-fer against his former boss.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I appreciate the nice words from donnovan, and I agree with his assesment from an X O standpoint, but again we have a team that fights hard, plays well but cannot win a game that matters. I like CAG and until Vanderbilt loss had no thoughts that his job was in jeopardy. I think it is time however, He had a decent chance this year and just can't get the team over the hump.
Coming from a guy Grant has never beat sure he wants Grant to be at Bama why not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.