Colts Waive Trent Richardson/ Signs with Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Re: Not Surprising News: Colts Waive Trent Richardson

Not surprising at all. Anyone with half a brain would know this was going to happen. Not even a need for another damn Trent Richardson thread.
Thanks for, once again, a positive contribution.

What do you not get about "you don't have to click, if you no likey".

Some of us still care about the dude and his future. Get over it.

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com

To be fair he was the least efficient runner on the team with them all running behind the same O-Line.

Bradshaw 4.7 YPC
Herron 4.5 YPC
A.Luck 4.3 YPC
Trent 3.3 YPC

Luck also had the same amount of rushing TD's as Trent (3).

As some point we have to all be honest here...it's just not working out for him unfortunately. I just hope he was reasonably smart with his finances.
I watched a lot of their games. He and Mark had the same problem. I NEVER saw them run him anywhere except in between the tackles. The other players ran sweeps and were in the game on 2nd down in situations where there were options. TR looked exactly like MI did in past years, when they were in, it was either a run up the middle or a play action fake of the same. For MI, this year without Sproles, he actually got to play a real feature role and he has a breakout year. TR did not get this option. To really show what TR was doing, go look at ProFootball Focus. He was the 7th top RB at pass blocking. I couldn't find the Colts line's rank for run blocking, but its always been low.
As for his comments, he didn't offer excuses for performance or blame the team. His critical comments were related to the business side. Ultimately, we'll see whether we are right or not about him being good. If Gore has a huge year, then its a blow to this argument, but if he has a bad year, and TR goes somewhere that is committed to running the ball, I'm betting he does well. What will drive me crazy will be all the commentators talking about how he resurrected himself when all it would have been is getting out of a bad situation.

What I do know is that he is too good of a pass blocking back to not get picked up somewhere.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I really don't see this argument about it's all about the colts offensive line. TR has had severe field vision problems even when times are great. I think most people are running from the fact that Trent is the next Ron dayne. If you need further proof, then answer the question of why the browns were so ready to get rid of their third round pick after one year in the nfl division (AFC north) that runs the ball the most. As for the mark Ingram argument, A. The saints weren't paying for a top 5 pick B. One of those years Sean Payton was suspended C. Mi showed he was getting better and D. Mark Ingram didn't have the wrap that he was only good because he hid behind his line.

If Trent finds a new place and succeeds then great for him, but I just don't see it. Because he was far more sought after than Eddie lacy who actually had worse offensive line situations than Trent. Best of luck to him

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm not a NFL junkie, but how can a guy be so good at a top program in college and then stink it up so much at the next level?

It's not like they are running a system that is not pretty similar to our pro-set offense.

I refuse to believe it's about a lack of ability and even if his vision isn't exactly Walter Payton-like he still would have to get lucky at hitting holes occasionally or he'd guess right on a cut back ever now and then.

I think it has to be something mental which causes him to hesitate and second guess everything and play tentatively.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'm not a NFL junkie, but how can a guy be so good at a top program in college and then stink it up so much at the next level?

It's not like they are running a system that is not pretty similar to our pro-set offense.

I refuse to believe it's about a lack of ability and even if his vision isn't exactly Walter Payton-like he still would have to get lucky at hitting holes occasionally or he'd guess right on a cut back ever now and then.

I think it has to be something mental which causes him to hesitate and second guess everything and play tentatively.
Trent spoke many times about his patience behind the LOS - waiting for plays to develop before making his move. That does not translate well to the NFL. I really hope that he catches on with a team, and that the Colts pay him at least a portion of his remaining contract.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Because the nfl is a much faster game with more talent. If we took the best team that Trent played against in college and put them against the jaguars then the jags would win by 4 scores. Reggie bush is probably the best example of this. He ran all over college defenses and tried to do the same juke stick type antics in the nfl and he found out that there were defensive linemen just as fast as him and hit a lot harder than college defenses. He had to change his mindset to get out of bounds and put on muscle. And now he is a pretty good back.

So can Trent do this kinda turnaround? Yes he can, but he is going to have to adapt to the fact he isn't going to have a totally dominating line. You have to remember that building dominating teams like the pats and Seahawks takes 3-4 years of draft picks and player development. So if Trent doesn't change his game I highly doubt people would want to invest 3-4 years of draft picks to gamble on a back that couldn't run well with Andrew luck taking 80% of the defenses attention.

Bottom line. What works in college doesn't mean it works in the pros. Adapt or put in for a job at the SECN

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

it simply does not make sense for Trent to be one of the best players in college football and then perform the way he has in the NFL. Don't give me that "some players aren't made for the next level". Trent's game and work ethic is perfect for the NFL. People forget he had a pretty good season his rookie year. Something was obviously wrong with him and the Colts. I absolutely refuse to believe Trent is one of the biggest busts in NFL history, as some people are saying. He's too good a football player for that.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

His field vision has been awful in the NFL. I don't recall it being bad in college, but maybe he was just such a freak he could cover up the mental mistakes. NFL is too fast for that.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

Because the nfl is a much faster game with more talent. If we took the best team that Trent played against in college and put them against the jaguars then the jags would win by 4 scores. Reggie bush is probably the best example of this. He ran all over college defenses and tried to do the same juke stick type antics in the nfl and he found out that there were defensive linemen just as fast as him and hit a lot harder than college defenses. He had to change his mindset to get out of bounds and put on muscle. And now he is a pretty good back.

So can Trent do this kinda turnaround? Yes he can, but he is going to have to adapt to the fact he isn't going to have a totally dominating line. You have to remember that building dominating teams like the pats and Seahawks takes 3-4 years of draft picks and player development. So if Trent doesn't change his game I highly doubt people would want to invest 3-4 years of draft picks to gamble on a back that couldn't run well with Andrew luck taking 80% of the defenses attention.

Bottom line. What works in college doesn't mean it works in the pros. Adapt or put in for a job at the SECN
Keep in mind, Trent hasn't been running through these NFL defenses with college-talented kids around him - The guys blocking for him have been NFL players, too. Bottom line, who knows what his issues are (injuries, attitude, etc...), but lack of talent or skill aren't two of them.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Keep in mind, Trent hasn't been running through these NFL defenses with a college talented kids around him. The guys blocking for him have been NFL players, too. Bottom line, who knows what his issues are (injuries, attitude, etc...), but lack of talent or skill aren't two of them.
Never did I say Trent was lacking talent, I only said there was more opposing talent. You cant dispute that. Trent was great in college because he was fast and physical. In the NFL there are defensive linemen fast enough to catch the fastest backs in college. Need proof? Watch Johnny Manziel try to outrun people these days.

the problem with the offensive line arguement is that Dan Herron started 3 games and on 78 attempts gained 351 yards on that same Colts offensive line, wheras Trent started 12 games and on 159 attempts gained 519 yards. So why should the Colts build around a guy that has only 168 more yards on 71 more attempts than a second to third string gu guy that was picked 188 picks after him in the same draft.

I think the Browns saw the same problem coming that they saw with Peyton Hillis. Hillis had an incredible first season with the Browns, but with the AFC North you need to either have a back that can adapt or stay healthy, and Peyton got hurt and was never the same. Trent has tried to bull rush grown men like he did in college, and I think the Browns saw that TR was unwilling to get away from that and worried that the Steelers or Ravens would clip him good the next year, so they wanted to avoid being stuck with a player with a 3rd pick salary that is constantly on IR. So they did the smart thing and looked for a team that was desperately seeking a runningback and would take him.

Also Trent's former Alabama teammate Eddie Lacy negates the whole offensive line arguement all together. The packers arent this world mover offensive line that they seem to be. If they were then AR would have more than one ring since that would mean almost any back could run for them . Eddie's yards mostly come from YAC and due to his signature spin move. I think Trent is capable to turn things around, but it really looks bad since Andrew Luck takes a huge chunk of the Defensive focus.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Tried to hold out hope that he'd turn things around, but finally late last season I just

And he's talking all that tough talk now about his next stop, he'll be a starter...meh...only if he Wally Pips someone...and even then,the front office will think that they've just gotten a bargain. He's seen his last big payday. NFL RB shelf lives are short as is...but at least he got his money on the front end.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

I just didn't like his comment complaining about being fined for weighing 230 when he was supposed to weigh 227. He made it sound like that's unreasonable. This is your employer telling you to do something, do it!

I'm like Mack I've given Trent the benefit of the doubt cause of my love for him at bama, but his problems in the pros are his own. I've watched several colts games and there was a noticeable improvement when Trent was not in the game.

I hope he goes somewhere and becomes what he was in college; but at this point he's gonna have to earn his way back to even being a primary backup.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL

Tried to hold out hope that he'd turn things around, but finally late last season I just

And he's talking all that tough talk now about his next stop, he'll be a starter...meh...only if he Wally Pips someone...and even then,the front office will think that they've just gotten a bargain. He's seen his last big payday. NFL RB shelf lives are short as is...but at least he got his money on the front end.
yup. former #3 pick in the NFL draft. getting beat out by guys drafted in later rounds while in indy. gotta drop the 'B' word....bust.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Also Trent's former Alabama teammate Eddie Lacy negates the whole offensive line arguement all together. The packers arent this world mover offensive line that they seem to be. If they were then AR would have more than one ring since that would mean almost any back could run for them . Eddie's yards mostly come from YAC and due to his signature spin move. I think Trent is capable to turn things around, but it really looks bad since Andrew Luck takes a huge chunk of the Defensive focus.
I've watched several Packers games since Eddie's been with them and I rarely ever saw holes open up like that when Trent was with Indy.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

it simply does not make sense for Trent to be one of the best players in college football and then perform the way he has in the NFL. Don't give me that "some players aren't made for the next level". Trent's game and work ethic is perfect for the NFL. People forget he had a pretty good season his rookie year. Something was obviously wrong with him and the Colts. I absolutely refuse to believe Trent is one of the biggest busts in NFL history, as some people are saying. He's too good a football player for that.
I've actually heard quite the opposite. His work ethic has been far from desirable, and his game was just being more talented than the rest of the field up until this point. Trent was my favorite of our RB's in the Saban era, but he SEEMS to not have the makeup to carve out a productive NFL career.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I hope Trent gets another shot, but his options are running out. I hope he saved his money.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I've watched several Packers games since Eddie's been with them and I rarely ever saw holes open up like that when Trent was with Indy.
Well watch his rookie season right before Flynn came back. Most teams havent feared the packers run game for a long time and would either play deep or load the box. When Rodgers went down, and Seneca Wallace and Tolzien came in everyone crowded the line on the Packers. Eddie practically carried the Packers to the playoffs, and that was more him than the packer offensive line. It really didnt balance out until Matt Flynn came back to GB. Last year, was probably the first time in forever that people respected the Packers ability to run and pass. So it is a similar situation that Trent was going through.

Also another example is Bell with the Steelers. The Steelers by far have a worse offensive line than any the Colts have had in the Pagono era. Ben Roethlisburger is a top 5 most sacked quarterback in nearly every year since 06. The Steelers are highly dependent on some sort of run game to be totally effective on offense. Bell has 534 rushing attempts with 2221 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2 years, where Trent has 614 rushing attempts with 2032 yards and 17 tds through 3 seasons. According to NFL.com the best offensive lines goes as follows out of the three teams mentioned:Steelers are the 16 overall, GB is the 12th overall, and the Colts are 8th.

I seriously hope that Trent succeeds, but I feel he is a Heismanless Ron Dayne story. He had a good first year, but didnt improve on it.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

BINGO!!!

Cowboys or Saints would be perfect fit for this scenario IMO. YPC incentive as the main factor.
No way on the Saints unless he wants to be a FB.

The Colts haven't featured a back since Magahee and that's a looooong time ago. U was baffled they got TR with the fun and gun they run on offense. Cowboys, Steelers, Falcons, the Pack are offenses like he needs. He also needs a serious attitude check or he'll never get a sniff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.