Colts Waive Trent Richardson/ Signs with Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wow I really thought he was going to take this last chance seriously. If he blows this last opportunity he's done playing professional football..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
maybe he just doesn't have the desire to play anymore.

anyone know his financial situation?

did he manage his rookie contract money well?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It just doesn't make any sense. Is it work ethic? Attitude? The rule about not being able to lower your head? It's mind-boggling.
Without getting into a too heated debate, the two main things that come up are his vision and the game being too fast. A lot of people argue til the cows come home that he is one of the greatest runningbacks because of what he did at alabama. But the problem is that doesn't necessarily translate to nfl success. Richardson could bulldoze linemen and outrun everyone on the field in college, but the issue with that is that now he is going up against the best defensive players and dlinemen that can catch people like Johnny and Reggie with ease. I originally thought he would be a decent back, but I had this longtime nfl fan and a longtime bama fan both tell me that tr will struggle a lot if he didn't change his mechanics and have better vision. They were right. I hope Trent does well and plays a little longer but this isn't real good news

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Without getting into a too heated debate, the two main things that come up are his vision and the game being too fast. A lot of people argue til the cows come home that he is one of the greatest runningbacks because of what he did at alabama. But the problem is that doesn't necessarily translate to nfl success. Richardson could bulldoze linemen and outrun everyone on the field in college, but the issue with that is that now he is going up against the best defensive players and dlinemen that can catch people like Johnny and Reggie with ease. I originally thought he would be a decent back, but I had this longtime nfl fan and a longtime bama fan both tell me that tr will struggle a lot if he didn't change his mechanics and have better vision. They were right. I hope Trent does well and plays a little longer but this isn't real good news
The NFL isn't for everyone. Aside from the difference in the game that must be accounted for, you have the difference in lifestyle. I myself struggled in my first go around in college. In high school, there was more structure, more forced accountability, and the courses were easier. I made As without ever taking homework home or studying. College, even just community college, broke me because I had more freedom (which I abused), and the courses were tougher and actually required studying and homework which I never developed discipline to do.

Trent dominated in college because he was just that good. But the NFL requires extra. Everyone is that good in the NFL. Often times, there are guys that never make rosters that could have dominated in college. Plus, there is more freedom and less structure. You've got to have a lot of self-discipline.

I hope he can get it together and adjust the things about his game that need to be adjusted. But in the end, if its not possible, I truly hope he has made enough money and can go back and finish his degree or gain employment in something that helps him continue to make enough in the future for himself and his family.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I tend to agree with what 81 said, he might merely have been too good for his own good in college. If you can get by on sheer ability alone, and you don't develop the skills you need to for the next level, that can catch up to you. In some ways that reminds me of Tim Tebow, he was hard working, he was a physical specimen, but he it took skills he didn't have/hadn't developed to succeed at the next level.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I would never wish pneumonia on anyone, but I hope he's telling the truth. I'm done making excuses for him, and I hope he gets his career on track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think some of us assumed way too much about Trent. He is one of us and we should always give him the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I tend to agree with what 81 said, he might merely have been too good for his own good in college. If you can get by on sheer ability alone, and you don't develop the skills you need to for the next level, that can catch up to you. In some ways that reminds me of Tim Tebow, he was hard working, he was a physical specimen, but he it took skills he didn't have/hadn't developed to succeed at the next level.
whoa now, you're making is sound like TR didn't work. That's just not true. TR worked harder than most can imagine to get as big, strong and fast as he was when she showed up at Alabama, and continued to work that hard his three years with us. Maybe he's slacked off at the NFL level with the weight, but I don't think that's really the issue. As others have said, he's not really a back with great vision. That's also a thing that is difficult to develop. It's almost a have it or don't trait. I'd bet if he was running with a little better vision, no one would care if he came in at 230 instead of 225...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
whoa now, you're making is sound like TR didn't work. That's just not true. TR worked harder than most can imagine to get as big, strong and fast as he was when she showed up at Alabama, and continued to work that hard his three years with us.
That's not at all what I said. In fact I said "he was hard working". I compared him to Tim Tebow, who was kind of notorious for his work ethic. What I was saying if that he could get by without developing skills necessary for the NFL. That doesn't mean he wasn't working, but he wasn't developing skills as well as he needed to. His preparations necessary for success in college simply didn't require developing skills that necessarily translated to the NFL. For other less talented backs that might not have been the case, but it's kind of like a kid who is really smart and is doing well in school, but doesn't learn some methods for doing work that they should because they are smart enough to figure out other ways to do it. That might work well up to a point, but eventually they'll find themselves in need of those skills.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Everyone makes good points thing is TR has just not done it YET!

I really like him as a person & yes he is one of our own so as much as I don't care for the Raiders them having Trent & Amari do mean something to me.

I hope they both have Great years.

In all fairness he was not handled correctly at the colts & browns JMHO.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Everyone makes good points thing is TR has just not done it YET!

I really like him as a person & yes he is one of our own so as much as I don't care for the Raiders them having Trent & Amari do mean something to me.

I hope they both have Great years.

In all fairness he was not handled correctly at the colts & browns JMHO.

The same could be said for Mark Ingram for the first few years of his career with the Saints. Maybe Trent won't make it big in the pros, but it's much too early to say for sure. I still expect big things from Trent.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's not at all what I said. In fact I said "he was hard working". I compared him to Tim Tebow, who was kind of notorious for his work ethic. What I was saying if that he could get by without developing skills necessary for the NFL. That doesn't mean he wasn't working, but he wasn't developing skills as well as he needed to. His preparations necessary for success in college simply didn't require developing skills that necessarily translated to the NFL. For other less talented backs that might not have been the case, but it's kind of like a kid who is really smart and is doing well in school, but doesn't learn some methods for doing work that they should because they are smart enough to figure out other ways to do it. That might work well up to a point, but eventually they'll find themselves in need of those skills.
Yep.

Trent may have been a hard worker at UA. What was he working on, though? To get strong? That would help him get by in college, but it wouldn't help in the NFL.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
ok - I misunderstood then. The statement "get by on sheer ability alone" threw me off because I think we both agree TR didn't just get by, he put a lot of work into developing what he had.

RB vision isn't something easily developed. Some RBs never really do and a sometimes and RB's success is driven more by being in the right system with the right blocking philosophy. I'd wager that TR wouldn't be as successful at today Bama with our current zone-read blocking scheme.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Just read that Trent missed the first 5 days of camp due to having had pneumonia a couple of weeks prior...

Nasty business...

Wishin' him well!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.