Apple TV: does anyone have it and if so do you like it?

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Hi folks, do any of you here on this forum have Apple TV? If so do you like it? Are you able to watch ESPN and its networks on it (not sec network per se).....like ESPN , espn 2, ESPN news etc? That's my big thing is the sports programming. I have direc tv and while it has lots of sports programming the price is getting out of hand. Thanks for the input.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Yes we have it and use it everyday. It is in my youngest childs'sroom and we use it for Netflix and the Disney channels on there.

I think you still need a cable provider in order to use the watch ESPN?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have it, but don't use it as much as I should. You have to have a cable provider login in order to access Watch ESPN. You can always use a friend's login. My brother uses our Charter login in order to access it on his computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It has been lowered to $69 and will also have the new HBO Now. So it is definitely worth the money. We have had ours for a few years now.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
I have it, but don't use it as much as I should. You have to have a cable provider login in order to access Watch ESPN. You can always use a friend's login. My brother uses our Charter login in order to access it on his computer.

So I have Internet access thru bright house networks. Would I be able to use that login to access the watch espn content? Or would I still have to keep my direc TV subscription with Apple TV in order to access that type of content? Thanks for the help

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
So I have Internet access thru bright house networks. Would I be able to use that login to access the watch espn content? Or would I still have to keep my direc TV subscription with Apple TV in order to access that type of content? Thanks for the help
Just check which subscriptions are supported. I'm sure there is a list but you have to have a cable or sat company acct that is accepted by espn

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I own one, with it going to 69$ I am going to buy another. I love it for kids content because I can netflix without polluting his brain with advertisements which he can then use to pester me. It really is a ridiculous capability, and if I didn't have to maintain cable for ESPN (and with Jon's and others advice, I may actually use the new ESPN dish package tv thing) I would use only the Apple TV. That coupled with the fact that my house is an Apple house, I can tie it into photo streams for background picture display when listening to my entire itunes catalog. Include air play and it really is a ridiculously convenient tool. The biggest issue I had with it was that my router didn't support multicast correctly and ended up having to flash its firmware. You would really only care about this if you wanted to view content from your computer. You usually would only care about doing this if you have a bunch of ripped movies and such, or your music collection wasn't purchased off itunes. I would be glad to answer any specifics you or anyone else has.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My understanding is the internet doesn't matter. It's the cable subscription.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we have one and love it (2.5 years now). as of now, you need a cable subscription that allows access to espn. i "got around" this by using a friend's login on game days. a few times the espn stream would buffer or some such thing in the middle of the game, but i think that was an espn thing and not an apple tv thing.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I had it, and liked it just fine. Let it go when my daughter moved out and replaced it with a Chromecast. I can do everything with the Chromecast from my phone, tablet or laptop I was doing with the Apple TV with an IPad.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Do you have a game system? I know Xbox has the ESPN watch app and Netflix...Amazon prime etc. I am not sure about Playstation as we are an Xbox house. So you may not even need to buy an Apple TV.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Just looked. They DO support Brighthouse. Click on it and you will be taken to your Brighthouse login then you are off and running.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Just looked. They DO support Brighthouse. Click on it and you will be taken to your Brighthouse login then you are off and running.

Ok thanks. I am not a tech savvy individual (I'm a physician and work on ppl...not computers and network routers etc) and really appreciate everyone's input

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I understand it goes off your cable subscription, though. For instance, a person might have Provider W but doesn't have the package that includes the SEC Network. Therefore, the person won't be able to access the SEC Network.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
I understand it goes off your cable subscription, though. For instance, a person might have Provider W but doesn't have the package that includes the SEC Network. Therefore, the person won't be able to access the SEC Network.
ok. so just because i have bright house as my ISP doesn't mean I can drop my direc TV right? i've still gotta have a provider to supply me with ESPN programming? just trying to make sure i understand this correctly. thanks.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
ok. so just because i have bright house as my ISP doesn't mean I can drop my direc TV right? i've still gotta have a provider to supply me with ESPN programming? just trying to make sure i understand this correctly. thanks.
Pretty sure you'll be able to watch ESPN via SlingTV (no contract or hardware required): http://about.dish.com/press-release...e-over-top-service-20-month-watch-tvs-tablets

SlingTV isn't currently supporting AppleTV but there's a workaround: http://www.t-gaap.com/2015/2/9/how-to-steam-sling-tv-with-apple-tv

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Correct. Even at my house, I still have to sign in with my Charter login even though we have Charter Internet, too.

Pretty sure you'll be able to watch ESPN via SlingTV (no contract or hardware required): http://about.dish.com/press-release...e-over-top-service-20-month-watch-tvs-tablets

SlingTV isn't currently supporting AppleTV but there's a workaround: http://www.t-gaap.com/2015/2/9/how-to-steam-sling-tv-with-apple-tv
Really looking into this. Just not sure if it'll be cheaper by the time you get multiple packages.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.