2015 Spring Practice Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

*** Quick Friday practice thoughts ...

* Based on recent practices, I thought true freshman Ronnie Harrison's involvement at safety with the first-team defense was pretty much limited to the dime. It appears there may be a little bit more to it than that, as Harrison joined Hootie Jones in base and nickel looks when the back seven came on. Heady stuff for a a guy who has been on campus for three months. When the nickel came on it was Maurice Smith at star.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

*** Quick Friday practice thoughts ...

* Based on recent practices, I thought true freshman Ronnie Harrison's involvement at safety with the first-team defense was pretty much limited to the dime. It appears there may be a little bit more to it than that, as Harrison joined Hootie Jones in base and nickel looks when the back seven came on. Heady stuff for a a guy who has been on campus for three months. When the nickel came on it was Maurice Smith at star.
Unless Mo Smith improves a LOT, him at Star scares the crap out of me. He missed a lot of switch coverages last year playing in dime. Hope he's had his nose in the book and it's starting to stick.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban: The spirit and effort during the scrimmage was really good. The execution isn't where it needs to be.
Saban: The defensive front is probably the strength of our team right now. Those guys showed that today.
Saban: As the scrimmage went on the offensive got rolling a little bit.
Saban said all the QBs rotated today, 30 or 40 plays each.
Saban: Derrick Henry had a pretty good day. Kenyan Drake wore a black jersey, but had a good day.
Saban: We're not satisfied with where we are, but we're not disappointed.
Saban: "Discipline is something that is really important to this team in terms of development."
Saban: Bo Scarbrough was injured. Knee injury. Doesn't know the extinct of it.
Saban said Alphonse Taylor didn't scrimmage today. Said he was impressed with Ts Cam Robinson and Dominick Jackson.
Saban: Alphonse "Shank" Taylor didn't scrimmage today. Has been dealing with an MCL injury.
Saban: I'm really pleased with how the linebackers have practiced this spring.
Saban said he's pleased with the ILBs. Said Reggie Ragland, Reuben Foster and Shaun Dion Hamilton have all had good springs.
Saban said Keith Holcombe is showing he can play inside, and Walker Jones is making a lot of strides too.
Saban: Ronnie Harrison has done a nice job. Has a lot of athleticism.
Saban: Kenyan Drake has been able to do everything. He ran 4.4 in our testing.
Saban, again, mentions Kenyan Drake ran a 4.4 in spring testing. Wouldn't call him quite 100 percent yet.
Saban on RBs: What seemed like a pretty strong position for us in terms of depth, has gotten pretty thin.
Saban on Bateman at WR: "Maybe we could created a role that might could be beneficial to our team and… to him"
Saban on Cooper Bateman: We haven't moved him from QB. But I just thought maybe we could create a role that would be beneficial to our team.
Saban: If we rated the top 50 athletes on our team, (Cooper Bateman) would be one of them.
Saban on Coker: He's more comfortable in the system, he's playing with more confidence.
Saban was asked about Coker, but said all the quarterbacks "did a pretty good job" today
Saban: Jake Coker is more confident now. Said he's looking more comfortable and is playing more from the shotgun, which is better for him.
Saban mentioned Cam Robinson, Dominick Jackson, Ryan Kelly & Ross Pierschbacher as the 4 OL who have separated themselves from everyone else

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Scrimmage stats:

Passing
None given

Rushing
Derrick Henry 11 carries, 112 yards, TD
Bo Scarbrough 16 carries, 36 yards, 2 TD

Receiving
Raheem Falkins 5 catches, 88 yards
ArDarius Stewart 3 catches, 65 yards, TD
OJ Howard 2 catches, 58 yards, 1 TD
Robert Foster 3 catches, 52 yards, 1 TD

Defense
Ragland 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 3 PBU, 1 FR
Tomlinson 4 tackles, 1 FR, 1 PB
Robinson 3 tackles, 1TFL, 1 INT return for TD

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hate to hear it for Bo & hope it's not a season ending kinda injury before the season gets here..I hope Desherrius Flowers & Damien Harris comes ready to play as True Freshmen..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This tear is in his right knee. He tore the left one in high school. Hopefully he can make a full recovery..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.