2015 Spring Practice Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Comments on Saban's comments:
On Devall and C. Jones -- hate it for Devall. He seems to have been hurt more than not. If we had to have a CB miss spring, Jones would be the one. He knows the system, and was pure most reliable last year. He'll miss the physical part, but that's what fall camp is for.

Not good news on Hill. I don't think we can count on him being available. If he is, great. But don't expect it.

Tyren Jones is flushing the opportunity of a lifetime. Don't know if it's the classroom, workouts, substances, interaction with coaches or what. He's great on the field, but can't get himself together off it. This isn't the first or second time he's been in the doghouse publicly. No telling how many times he's been there that we don't know about. My guess is he's on his last chance.

I am a bit surprised that Morris is ahead of Bateman.

Bateman, Cornwell and Barnett were all highly recruited. Add Coker and Morris in the mix, and you have to consider the possibility of a transfer by somebody who isn't happy with his spot in the order when spring practice is over.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Comments on Saban's comments:
On Devall and C. Jones -- hate it for Devall. He seems to have been hurt more than not. If we had to have a CB miss spring, Jones would be the one. He knows the system, and was pure most reliable last year. He'll miss the physical part, but that's what fall camp is for.

Not good news on Hill. I don't think we can count on him being available. If he is, great. But don't expect it.

Tyren Jones is flushing the opportunity of a lifetime. Don't know if it's the classroom, workouts, substances, interaction with coaches or what. He's great on the field, but can't get himself together off it. This isn't the first or second time he's been in the doghouse publicly. No telling how many times he's been there that we don't know about. My guess is he's on his last chance.

Bateman, Cornwell and Barnett were all highly recruited. Add Coker and Morris in the mix, and you have to consider the possibility of a transfer by somebody who isn't happy with his spot in the order when spring practice is over.
I agree concerning the transfers and IMO it will be Bateman and/or Cornwell. If Barnett is as good as advertised I could see both transferring.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Morris was reportedly ahead of Bateman last year...no real news here.

I agree concerning the transfers and IMO it will be Bateman and/or Cornwell. If Barnett is as good as advertised I could see both transferring.
IMO, Only way Barnett influences Cornwell's transfer is if Barnett finishes the spring neck and neck with Coker.

Bateman may be a candidate for transfer unless he can make a move this spring.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I can't get the link to open, but what is wrong with Grant Hill?

As for QB transfers, I don't see Cornwell transferring that quick. Morris or Bateman yea but not Cornwell. I'm pretty sure he was under the impression anyway that it would be a few years before he had a true shot at competing. He never seemed like the prima donna type to just up and leave but I'm not at practice every day either.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I can't get the link to open, but what is wrong with Grant Hill?

As for QB transfers, I don't see Cornwell transferring that quick. Morris or Bateman yea but not Cornwell. I'm pretty sure he was under the impression anyway that it would be a few years before he had a true shot at competing. He never seemed like the prima donna type to just up and leave but I'm not at practice every day either.
Coach didn't give a reason but speculation I've seen is he's had problems with Mono since last fall. I've never had it but I hope he gets himself healthy. We really need him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wish Coach S. would leave the secondary coaching to the secondary coach, and just start being the "Head Coach".
I think it would help us immensely.
sip
I think all head coaches have a position group that they supervise or coach. I kind of agree with you though because whatever we have been doing coaching wise, at least with the secondary, hasn't been very successful..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
C'mon Guys... This is the spring camp... What happened last year is in the past. Let it go. Wait and see what Mel Tucker can do with our group... They haven't done anything but just running around on their first day.
It hasn't been successful recently at all. I honestly can't stand the philosophy of not turning and finding the ball. It drives me nuts.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The philosophy is not "to not turn and find the ball" but to read the receiver to determine when to turn and find the ball. Either the coaches aren't doing a good job teaching or the kids simply aren't good at performing. Some are better than others. BTW, most fanbases think their DBs don't look for the ball.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
BamaInBham is spot on, the timing of looking up is critical. It seems our DBs look up too late and the back shoulder throw is almost always completed against them. And Earle is right, look up to soon and the WR runs past the DB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The problem more often than not is when a qb scrambles and the receiver breaks off his route and it becomes like back yard football. It's during these times our dbs have to adjust and use their eyes more, but what we've seen is the offensive receiver making the adjustment to the ball and our dbs don't.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
For anyone to suggest Coach Saban doesn't have the ability to coach the secondary is just insane. Look at all the great players he has developed that have left after only 3 years. At the same time his success has harmed the team because of the lost depth and experience. It takes time to learn how to do things correctly. You need hundreds of reps, not till you get it right but till you you can't get it wrong.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i dont think any coach is perfect. they all have flaws within their philosophy. i'm sure our secondary coaches along with Coach Saban could use some tweaking of their secondary philosophy. And i'm sure Coach Saban knows this.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Turn too soon and you lose a half step. Most fans don't realize that...
To expand on Earle's post: I was fortunate enough to discuss this very issue with Joe Kines at an alumni event.

Kines said the timing of the look back, and whether to do so at all, should depend on the defensive position of the DB.

The phrase Kines used was, "in phase." He said that if the DB is in phase with the WR, he should look back when the receiver does. If he's not, even if it's by only a half- or even quarter-step, the DB shouldn't look back, but should try to disrupt the catch. Failing that, he's still in position to make the tackle after the catch.

Reason being, if the DB isn't in phase, and looks back anyway, the distance between himself and the WR invariably increases. In other words, the DB exacerbates the problem.

Compounding that, if he's the last line of defense -- i.e., there's no deep help behind him -- you risk turning a 15 yard gainer into a TD.

The definition of "in phase" was more complicated than I ever would have thought. It had to do not only with being on the receiver, but also figured in the DB's hip and shoulder position relative to the WR and other stuff that was honestly lost on me.

But for the average fan, of you think of "in phase" as "having really good coverage," you'll have the concept.

Kines also said this was about the hardest technical thing to teach the freshmen. To that point in their athletic careers, they have always been head-and-shoulders the best player on the field. They've been able to make up for suboptimal technique with sheer ability and speed.

So they have a really hard time admitting, even to themselves, that the WR got the better of them, even if by only a hair.

Unfortunately for them, SEC receivers eat that for breakfast. Some learn after being burned a couple of times in practice. Others have to get their pants yanked down in a game. Still others never really do.

What I took away from Kines' explanation was that whether and when to look back is a lot more complicated than many of us ever thought.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I wish Coach S. would leave the secondary coaching to the secondary coach, and just start being the "Head Coach".
I think it would help us immensely.
sip
Now there's a post I never thought I'd read on a Bama forum!

Just how exactly do you think Saban's current coaching is hurting the Tide immensely?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.