2015 Spring Practice Thread

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We know that the new secondary coach is fresh from the NFL so I'm sure he's up on any new techniques for those positions. I think with the talent in CB's and S's that we have, we will be good again.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Now there's a post I never thought I'd read on a Bama forum!

Just how exactly do you think Saban's current coaching is hurting the Tide immensely?
I just think he needs to stop coaching the secondary and be the head coach. With all due respect, in games we've lost against Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A@M, etc..our secondary has gotten absolutely fried.
We teach this philosophy of trying to read the receiver's eyes and to get a hand up without turning.
It doesn't work. It's that simple. Look at the touchdown right before the half against Ohio State. The real game changer.
If the defender turns his head, he could have batted the ball out of the Super Dome.
As far as giving the receiver an advantage, you don't turn around and look for the ball at your discretion, otherwise, yes, you'd get fried.
You turn your head to find the ball when the receiver does.
Regardless, I think Coach S. is by far and away the best head coach in college football. No doubt about it.
I just don't think he's a good secondary coach and I think the results on the field prove it.
sip

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
We teach this philosophy of trying to read the receiver's eyes and to get a hand up without turning.
I'm sorry, but I've been seeing you and others post this kind of bologna over and over and it's ridiculous. I've touched on this before, but let's go back to it.

#1 - How would you or 99% of the people on this board have ANY idea what "philosophy" our coaches are teaching our DB's?
#2 - Why in the world would you think a coach as good as Coach Saban would purposefully teach a philosophy that is so very clearly not working?
#3 - Why in the world would you think he would CONTINUE to teach that same philosophy after it had been OBVIOUSLY producing sub-par results?
#4 - You can teach until you're blue in the face, but it's up to the players to make the play. I find it incredibly hard to believe that our coaches tell the players, "Hey, don't worry about the ball when it's in the air and DEFINITELY don't try to turn your head around."
#5 - How many first round (or even early round) draft picks have we had playing CB the past couple years? Here's a hint - none. Think that doesn't affect the performance of our secondary?
#6 - It's silly to think that our coaches have magically forgotten how to coach CB's. Our secondary play hasn't been as good because we haven't had Jackson, Arenas, Milliner, Kirkpatrick, etc. We had a couple years with relative misses at recruiting CB's and the results played out on the field.

Ultimately I think your tone will change drastically in a couple years when our last two recruiting classes are juniors and seniors. But it still blows my mind how people continue to act like the solution to our CB play is SO OBVIOUS and that Coach Saban is COMPLETELY unaware of it, so they need to point it out.

/Rant :)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm sorry, but I've been seeing you and others post this kind of bologna over and over and it's ridiculous. I've touched on this before, but let's go back to it.

#1 - How would you or 99% of the people on this board have ANY idea what "philosophy" our coaches are teaching our DB's?
#2 - Why in the world would you think a coach as good as Coach Saban would purposefully teach a philosophy that is so very clearly not working?
#3 - Why in the world would you think he would CONTINUE to teach that same philosophy after it had been OBVIOUSLY producing sub-par results?
#4 - You can teach until you're blue in the face, but it's up to the players to make the play. I find it incredibly hard to believe that our coaches tell the players, "Hey, don't worry about the ball when it's in the air and DEFINITELY don't try to turn your head around."
#5 - How many first round (or even early round) draft picks have we had playing CB the past couple years? Here's a hint - none. Think that doesn't affect the performance of our secondary?
#6 - It's silly to think that our coaches have magically forgotten how to coach CB's. Our secondary play hasn't been as good because we haven't had Jackson, Arenas, Milliner, Kirkpatrick, etc. We had a couple years with relative misses at recruiting CB's and the results played out on the field.

Ultimately I think your tone will change drastically in a couple years when our last two recruiting classes are juniors and seniors. But it still blows my mind how people continue to act like the solution to our CB play is SO OBVIOUS and that Coach Saban is COMPLETELY unaware of it, so they need to point it out.

/Rant :)
(1) Because that's how he explains it at coaching clinics, and to the press.
(2) Hmmm....maybe because he's egotistical and stubborn??
(3) See (2)
(4) Well think again. That's what they're being taught.
(5) Maybe that's because our secondary coach would rather convert a wide receiver to cornerback, or rehabiltate an injured cornerback, rather than simply playing the number one and two cornerback prospects in the nation. You'll have to ask Coach S. that question, because I have absolutley no idea.
(6) We've recruited the highest rated corners in the nation. We simply don't give them a chance to play. We like "Projects" for some reason. Again, I have no idea why. The talent is there.
Rant over here as well. :)
RTR
sip

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
(3) See (2)
(5) Maybe that's because our secondary coach would rather convert a wide receiver to cornerback, or rehabiltate an injured cornerback, rather than simply playing the number one and two cornerback prospects in the nation. You'll have to ask Coach S. that question, because I have absolutley no idea.
(6) We've recruited the highest rated corners in the nation. We simply don't give them a chance to play. We like "Projects" for some reason. Again, I have no idea why. The talent is there.
RTR
sip
At least you are partially right.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
BamaInBham is spot on, the timing of looking up is critical. It seems our DBs look up too late and the back shoulder throw is almost always completed against them. And Earle is right, look up to soon and the WR runs past the DB.
On the flip side, what is more frustrating, is that we don't seem to teach our QB's to exploit DB's on deep sideline balls like the other teams always seem to do to us. I mean, think about it - we're getting some of the highest rated DB's out of high school and other teams always find a way to take advantage of our guys. So why shouldn't we be able to do more of the same to the lesser DB's that the other teams are getting? Beat them at their own game. Many times we have great tight coverage on the WR's, it's just that they go up and make the play and beat us. We can do it to them also. Our WR's don't have to be wide open for us to throw the ball to them.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I will be so glad when we return back to the practice in two weeks..... this is a topic that has been beat to death nonstop over the last few months........

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
To expand on Earle's post: I was fortunate enough to discuss this very issue with Joe Kines at an alumni event.

Kines said the timing of the look back, and whether to do so at all, should depend on the defensive position of the DB.

The phrase Kines used was, "in phase." He said that if the DB is in phase with the WR, he should look back when the receiver does. If he's not, even if it's by only a half- or even quarter-step, the DB shouldn't look back, but should try to disrupt the catch. Failing that, he's still in position to make the tackle after the catch.

Reason being, if the DB isn't in phase, and looks back anyway, the distance between himself and the WR invariably increases. In other words, the DB exacerbates the problem.

Compounding that, if he's the last line of defense -- i.e., there's no deep help behind him -- you risk turning a 15 yard gainer into a TD.

The definition of "in phase" was more complicated than I ever would have thought. It had to do not only with being on the receiver, but also figured in the DB's hip and shoulder position relative to the WR and other stuff that was honestly lost on me.

But for the average fan, of you think of "in phase" as "having really good coverage," you'll have the concept.

Kines also said this was about the hardest technical thing to teach the freshmen. To that point in their athletic careers, they have always been head-and-shoulders the best player on the field. They've been able to make up for suboptimal technique with sheer ability and speed.

So they have a really hard time admitting, even to themselves, that the WR got the better of them, even if by only a hair.

Unfortunately for them, SEC receivers eat that for breakfast. Some learn after being burned a couple of times in practice. Others have to get their pants yanked down in a game. Still others never really do.

What I took away from Kines' explanation was that whether and when to look back is a lot more complicated than many of us ever thought.
How lucky you were to get to speak to Coach Kines for any length of time.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
(3) See (2)
RTR
sip
We're so lucky that you know so much more about football than Coach Saban.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I will be so glad when we return back to the practice in two weeks..... this is a topic that has been beat to death nonstop over the last few months........
Why do you think it will stop then? It probably never will. You probably just need to resign yourself to a never-ending debate.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
How many first round (or even early round) draft picks have we had playing CB the past couple years? Here's a hint - none.
2010: Kareeem Jackson (20th overall)
2012: Mark Barron (7th overall) Dre Kirkpatrick (17th overall)
2013: Dee Milliner (9th overall)

We can't lose one every year or we'd be so paper thin we would really get killed every year.

This last recruiting class we finally got some lockdown corners in Humphrey and Brown. They will be SICK once they gain enough experience.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We're so lucky that you know so much more about football than Coach Saban.
I wrote as plain as the nose on your face that I thought Coach Saban was the best head coach in college football, and I do.
That doesn't mean I can't disagree with a philosophy in principle.
But let's say it like this. Coach Saban knows a million times more about football than I do.
I still don't like the fact that our DB's don't turn their head and find the ball. The receivers they're defending turn their heads to find the ball every single pass play and it doesn't seem to be slowing them down too much.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I wish Coach S. would leave the secondary coaching to the secondary coach, and just start being the "Head Coach".
I think it would help us immensely.
sip
Yeah Sip... but if getting into the drills with the DBs is what keeps Coach in touch with the players and by all accounts is his favorite part of the job, then Coach Saban helping out with the secondary is a good thing.

We haven't had a future NFL starter at corner in a couple of years. It happens. That's a roll of the talent dice, not an indictment of the job CNS does with the secondary.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't know what went wrong in our secondary last year but something did. When Saban arrived he talked extensively about stopping the "big" play. He would be ok if we gave up short yardage stuff but he absolutely hated giving up big plays. Our championship years we were always good at keeping that to a minimum. Clearly what we saw late last year was not something Nick Saban wants. From what I could see it was everything, it was players out of position, uncovered recievers, getting out jumped for the ball, and failure to play the ball. I've seen this sort of thing in the past and it gets in the players heads. Once teams know they have it in their heads they try more deep balls. If the cycle isn't broken quickly it becomes a raging inferno of badness. We have to break the cycle early next season. It's the first thing teams are going to try. I'd wager the first play from scrimmage will be a home run shot.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just think he needs to stop coaching the secondary and be the head coach. With all due respect, in games we've lost against Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A@M, etc..our secondary has gotten absolutely fried.
Those games weren't about Saban's philosophy of tracking the ball in the air. Those games revolved around defensive scheme issues.

It doesn't work. It's that simple. Look at the touchdown right before the half against Ohio State. The real game changer.
That was more about a 5'10 CB covering a 6'3 WR than any philosophy Saban teaches.

On the flip side, what is more frustrating, is that we don't seem to teach our QB's to exploit DB's on deep sideline balls like the other teams always seem to do to us. I mean, think about it - we're getting some of the highest rated DB's out of high school and other teams always find a way to take advantage of our guys. So why shouldn't we be able to do more of the same to the lesser DB's that the other teams are getting? Beat them at their own game. Many times we have great tight coverage on the WR's, it's just that they go up and make the play and beat us. We can do it to them also. Our WR's don't have to be wide open for us to throw the ball to them.
That's not true. Prior to Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey, Alabama had not gotten a highly rated high school DB since Dee Milliner (#2 CB by Rivals) and John Fulton (#5 CB by Rivals).

No CB was ranked in the 2011 class. Geno Smith was ranked Rivals' #8 CB in 2012; he's now at safety. Cyrus Jones was Rivals' #6 ATH since he could play WR and CB. Maurice Smith was Rivals' #12 CB in 2013. Marlon was Rivals' #2 CB, and Tony was Rivals' #4 CB. This year, Alabama signed Minka Fitzpatrick (Rivals' #2 CB) and Kendall Sheffield (#4 CB).

This explains the drop off in DB talent during the 2013 and 2014 season. The young talent is being developed and will begin to shine this year... Hopefully.

I don't know what went wrong in our secondary last year but something did. When Saban arrived he talked extensively about stopping the "big" play. He would be ok if we gave up short yardage stuff but he absolutely hated giving up big plays. Our championship years we were always good at keeping that to a minimum. Clearly what we saw late last year was not something Nick Saban wants. From what I could see it was everything, it was players out of position, uncovered recievers, getting out jumped for the ball, and failure to play the ball. I've seen this sort of thing in the past and it gets in the players heads. Once teams know they have it in their heads they try more deep balls. If the cycle isn't broken quickly it becomes a raging inferno of badness. We have to break the cycle early next season. It's the first thing teams are going to try. I'd wager the first play from scrimmage will be a home run shot.
I look at the way the game has changed since 2007. Offenses are different than what Saban saw his first year. He was slow to adapt the defensive scheme AND the recruiting. In 2012, he tried to begin to change the scheme with the same players he's had. In 2013, he began changing some of the way he recruited defensive guys. In the 2014 and 2015 classes, there was a much more noticeable difference.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Could not agree more, and I would wager that the coaching staff will be anticipating the long ball. I`m sure the DB`s will be as well. Why wouldn`t everybody try it after last year? The only thing that will stop it is for the DB`s to prove they can stop it. IMO it`ll be fascinating to see what happens on the back end of our defense. The front 7 should be merciless this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.