2015 Spring Practice Thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From the media viewing period of today's practice...

@_KevinConnell Strange sighting at practice: Cooper Bateman was wearing a white jersey instead of the usual black for QBs and catching passes with WRs.

@mzenitz Geno Smith was not on the field during the portion of practice open to the media

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
BOL practice thoughts

Spent allotted time around the secondary and quarterbacks and wide receivers today.

* What I have been told (and posted here at the time of his hiring) about new secondary coach Mel Tucker not lacking for energy and enthusiasm appears to be very much true. Works at a tempo that ensures a ton of reps during individual drills and demands excellence. Make a mistake and you'll be doing push ups; just ask Maurice Smith.

* Blake Barnett was ripping throws during individual drills. Looks very at ease out there and throws a better deep ball than I would have expected. All of the quarterbacks threw the ball well.

* Interesting to see Ronnie Harrison getting some reps with what looked to be the rest of the 1s in a sub package goal line look. Not surprising, though, given Geno Smith's absence. I'd say he's going to get repped up from here on out. Supposedly had a really good practice Saturday.

* UA president Judy Bonner's presence didn't go unnoticed. Draw into that what you'd like but I have little doubt it was PR related.

* Bateman looked pretty good at WR. Made a nice, back-of-the-ball, finger-tip grab in the back of the end zone on a little slugo route.

* Raheem Falkins took part in drills but didn't look to be moving all that great.

* Lane Kiffin is know as a laid back guy but he wasn't happy with the pace of the QB/WR work early in practice and let it be know. The hold-up? Bateman changing out of a black QB jersey to a white offensive jersey.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban: "it was a beautiful day to day. Happy to see us have some good weather for us to practice in."
Saban: "I think the offensive line has come together pretty nicely. Jake seems to be pretty comfortable with the quarterback position."
Saban confirms Cam Sims "was injured" on Saturday. ACL. Will be out for "a while" and will need surgery.
Saban on Jonathan Taylor: Everyone got the statement yesterday. I think it's very unfortunate. He came here with specific guidelines.
Saban: Sometimes these things work out, this time it didn't.
Saban: "We all take responsibility for that."
Saban: “I’m very, very sorry about the way this worked out.”
Saban: Although I'm very very sorry about the way this worked out, we'll continue to create opportunities for players.
Saban: "A little disappointed in Geno Smith." He has "quite a bit of things that he'll have to do in the future."
Saban: "Our focus right now is to try to help Geno in every way that we can."
Saban: You learn from every experience and we certainly learned some things from (Jonathan Taylor) this situation.
Saban asked if he feels he made a mistake: "I'm not sorry for giving him an opportunity. I'm sorry for the way things worked out."
Saban: I think as an institution we'll look at how we do things in the future.
Saban said he wants to emphasize the players who had issues in the past "who have turned out to be outstanding people."
Saban: "He did everything we asked him to do here" in terms of requirements. Never missed counseling session.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
BOL practice thoughts

* Raheem Falkins took part in drills but didn't look to be moving all that great.

I hadn't heard that he was injured, and have been wondering over the last year + why we hadn't been hearing his name more often - other than, of course, his perhaps having had been buried in the non-existent depth chart...

Would be nice to see him break out this year...

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
I hope Dr.Witt, Dr. Bonner, Bill Battle, Nick Saban, and all other administrators and coaches get the message:
We as caring alumni of The University DO NOT want to see our university become a reform school for people who have failed to abide the laws of society and 'rules' of acceptable behavior in their past.

I shall again be communicating that message to those who I named,among others.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
*sighs*
I hope Dr.Witt, Dr. Bonner, Bill Battle, Nick Saban, and all other administrators and coaches get the message:
We as caring alumni of The University DO NOT want to see our university become a reform school for people who have failed to abide the laws of society and 'rules' of acceptable behavior in their past.

I shall again be communicating that message to those who I named,among others.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.