2015 Spring Practice Thread

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
interesting about Bateman. maybe our injuries at receiver are worse than we think? or maybe he and his coaches see this as a better chance to get on the field?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
interesting about Bateman. maybe our injuries at receiver are worse than we think? or maybe he and his coaches see this as a better chance to get on the field?
Sounds like you have an athlete on scholarship that wants to stay at Alabama vs transferring, so Saban trying to find a way for him to contribute.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Sounds like you have an athlete on scholarship that wants to stay at Alabama vs transferring, so Saban trying to find a way for him to contribute.
That is quite possible but it could be we have 6 WR's on scholly that were participating in spring. Cam Sims is out and some said Falkins was gimpy. That leaves us with 4 healthy scholly WR's and Cooper may have been asked to be a team player.....

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That is quite possible but it could be we have 6 WR's on scholly that were participating in spring. Cam Sims is out and some said Falkins was gimpy. That leaves us with 4 healthy scholly WR's and Cooper may have been asked to be a team player.....
sometimes former QB's make great WRs. look to the NFL and there are a bunch.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
sometimes former QB's make great WRs. look to the NFL and there are a bunch.
If I was Cooper I'd transfer in a hurry. He's a QB and needs to find somewhere that will give him a chance as a QB.
To me, he was the best QB on the field last A-Day.
To even pretend that we're giving him an "opportunity" at wide receiver is a joke. It's an insult to him.
Which 4.4 guy in the top four at each receiver position is he going to beat out for any playing time at all?
Please.
Leave Cooper, now! While you still have a chance.
sip

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If I was Cooper I'd transfer in a hurry. He's a QB and needs to find somewhere that will give him a chance as a QB.
To me, he was the best QB on the field last A-Day.
To even pretend that we're giving him an "opportunity" at wide receiver is a joke. It's an insult to him.
Which 4.4 guy in the top four at each receiver position is he going to beat out for any playing time at all?
Please.
Leave Cooper, now! While you still have a chance.
sip
The thought could also be that he'd be the biggest guy at WR if he played there, and could play the H spot like Smelley did a few years ago when he was quite an asset for us as a possession receiver, and was also quite a blocker out in space.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The thought could also be that he'd be the biggest guy at WR if he played there, and could play the H spot like Smelley did a few years ago when he was quite an asset for us as a possession receiver, and was also quite a blocker out in space.
I appreciate your optimism, I truly do, but this move doesn't bode well for Cooper.
If I were him, I'd be on the telephone. There's only about 200 schools that would give him a full ride at the position he actually knows how to play. And they'd welcome the opportunity to let him play that position.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I appreciate your optimism, I truly do, but this move doesn't bode well for Cooper.
If I were him, I'd be on the telephone. There's only about 200 schools that would give him a full ride at the position he actually knows how to play. And they'd welcome the opportunity to let him play that position.
I tend to agree. Unless he is 100% going to get pt in the next 2 years at wr I would move on. I know people are referencing NFL converting qbs to wrs, but you also have to take into account that showcasing talent was what got those particular players to the NFL in the first place. I think you also have to also take into account that our recieving core is pretty stacked with promise even before this move. So unless Bateman is going to clearly make it, I would tend to think it isnt going to be a long time thing. Before people start saying "he is showing great promise in practice." you might also consider that they said the same thing about him last year when there was a qb battle between Sims and Coker. Morris was our third string.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Or he could transfer and set the world on fire like Star Jackson and Phillips Sims did and never be heard from again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Guys, it was one practice. He started with the QBs and joined the WRs. It's not like he's practiced with the WRs all camp.

TerryR

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
Agree Sip. I wonder why he doesn't get more reps. I can't understand the choice of Morris ahead of him. I saw Cooper at A-Day as well a couple years ago and he was throwing in tight windows and delivering the ball with authority. Sometimes these things are inexplicable, reckon?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Agree Sip. I wonder why he doesn't get more reps. I can't understand the choice of Morris ahead of him. I saw Cooper at A-Day as well a couple years ago and he was throwing in tight windows and delivering the ball with authority. Sometimes these things are inexplicable, reckon?
Surely, you guys have learned by now how meaningless A-day performances are - good or bad. That was my only consolation last year when Blake was tabbed as the starter in the preseason. That and trust in Saban's judgment. Btw, I thought Bateman was far and away the best QB in the game, but it just doesn't matter, especially at QB. Blake looked worse than terrible.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
As far as Bateman at WR. It may be obvious to him that Coker is ahead, and he is finding a way to contribute while waiting for another attempt to earn the QB spot. It worked pretty well for Ryan Tannehill. Bateman may not be 4.3/4.4 but he is fast enough to be a good receiver.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
There are a ton of high school QB's that move to WR in college; not just college QB's moving to WR in the NFL.

Remember that Coach Saban likes to juggle players around during spring practice and many (most?) moves are temporary.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
The Delta flight attendant crew was invited to tour the Mal Moore Athletic Facility and the stadium and attend practice last Friday. We got the behind the scenes version and got to visit with several coaches and players. We ran into Coach Saban and even snuck in a picture. :cool: He was THE MOST relaxed and well rested that I've seen him. He looked great and seemed so happy. Literally that would all change in 24 hours time. I hate it for him. I know he's not perfect and doesn't always say or do what we think he should, but it sure would be nice if he just had to worry about game planning and strategy as opposed to parenting and punishment. :rolleyes:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The Delta flight attendant crew was invited to tour the Mal Moore Athletic Facility and the stadium and attend practice last Friday. We got the behind the scenes version and got to visit with several coaches and players. We ran into Coach Saban and even snuck in a picture. :cool: He was THE MOST relaxed and well rested that I've seen him. He looked great and seemed so happy. Literally that would all change in 24 hours time. I hate it for him. I know he's not perfect and doesn't always say or do what we think he should, but it sure would be nice if he just had to worry about game planning and strategy as opposed to parenting and punishment. :rolleyes:
Well said, gurl...

And, once again, thank you for your good work, and the careful, strategic insights with which you provide us from time to time... :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.