Oklahoma Amendment: If You Plan To Discriminate Against Gays, You Must Post a sign

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
What a perfect answer to "religious freedom acts" you want to discriminate against Gays because they violate your Christian beliefs? Fine but you have to state it publicly so the rest of us can avoid your business. Perfect answer

Lawmakers in why-is-this-still-happening Oklahoma are still pondering a Religious Freedom Act, which would make it legal for businesses to refuse service to certain people, say, LGBT people or people of a different race, if serving them would violate their religious beliefs.
Oklahoma Democratic State Rep. Emily Virgin (below) has a perfect solution to one-up this gross proposal: Businesses who plan to “exercise their religious freedom” by discriminating against certain groups of people must post a public notice of their intention to do so.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...-against-gays-you-must-post-a-sign-saying-so/

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Somehow I knew this was going to get all twisted around, and I was right.
The bill was introduced to protect the civil and religious liberties of certain people, such as ministers, etc. in their refusal to perform marriages for same-sex couples. It would also protect certain businesses, such as bakers, from being sued if (for example) they refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

Most of us have no problem with gay people. Let them live their lives as they will. But when they demand that others give up their own religious beliefs to cater to them, that's when others have a big problem with it. Gays aren't the only ones with personal, civil and religious freedoms. So does the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Somehow I knew this was going to get all twisted around, and I was right.
The bill was introduced to protect the civil and religious liberties of certain people, such as ministers, etc. in their refusal to perform marriages for same-sex couples. It would also protect certain businesses, such as bakers, from being sued if (for example) they refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

Most of us have no problem with gay people. Let them live their lives as they will. But when they demand that others give up their own religious beliefs to cater to them, that's when others have a big problem with it. Gays aren't the only ones with personal, civil and religious freedoms. So does the rest of the country.
I don't think they understand that and probably don't want to.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
It seems like we have been here before

Maybe but a racial exception is not the same as one when it comes to religious belief. That can be a tough line to cross or even figure out. I suppose one could argue that people back then thought it was ok to racially discriminate -- which to me is abhorrent to the Gospel. Personally, I think if a gay person comes in to my place of business, I would do the work for him as though he was anyone else. What a gay person does in no way has any effect on my faith. Yeah, I'd make them a cake, make it as good as I could and deliver it to their wedding. Who cares? If someone doesn't want to have to do it, they shouldn't be forced to. More business for me. If gay marriage truly is a sin, there's no way even then I think God would come after me for divine judgement over a decision two other adults made. You should do the work but you shouldn't have the Government's gun put to your head to make you do it if you don't want. Why can't we leave it at that?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I suppose one could argue that people back then thought it was ok to racially discriminate -- which to me is abhorrent to the Gospel.
There is no arguing. They not only thought is was right, They used the Bible to justify it.

You should do the work but you shouldn't have the Government's gun put to your head to make you do it if you don't want. Why can't we leave it at that?
If we just left things at that, white people would still be eating at the counter and minorities going to the back.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Law will do nothing. The bakery, or whoever, won't say that they won't serve gay people - because honestly they probably would and had served gay people. They just won't make cakes for gay weddings.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm older than, probably, all of you, most by a good bit. I lived through the aftermath of the NAZI crimes and trials and apartheid here in the South, although I opposed it strongly and suffered for that, although not at all like its targets. For these reasons, any sign saying "X Class of citizens not allowed" here sends a chill down my spine. Not a good chill...

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.