California has one year's worth of water remaining per NASA scientist

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Somehow, I knew that, in a board packed with self-proclaimed economic experts, no one would know what the "Tragedy of the Commons" meant... :D
I wasn't familiar with the TotC, but then I've never claimed to be an economics expert. Incidentally, it's not just an economic theory. After reading about it, it's pretty much common sense: when dealing with common resources, self-interested actions work to the detriment of society as a whole. That's a lesson for kindergarten: share what belongs to the group. To take it a step further, common resources must be managed by society, often to the detriment of individual freedom. Got it. No problem.

What threw me off was your first sentence. I've read the thing ten times and still can't make any sense of it.

Even severe restrictions will not make the millions upon millions of dollars which should have been made years ago in modern agricultural equipment to make what they have conserve what they have. For those who know at least a smidgeon of economics, it has a well-known name - "The Tragedy of the Commons..."

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I'm not trying to be overly simplistic, but let's say California tanks because water essentially runs out. I have a few questions

1. I was under the impression there was plenty of farm land in the U.S.
2. The list CA posted can we do without those items. I don't know if you posted it for info, economic impact or something else CA, so I'm not trying to argue.
3. Would this have a major impact on illegals?
4. Would the Southeast be able to take advantage of this and see an uptick in agriculture jobs?
5. Are Nevada, espically Las Vegas, and Arizona screwed?

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I'm not trying to be overly simplistic, but let's say California tanks because water essentially runs out. I have a few questions

1. I was under the impression there was plenty of farm land in the U.S.
2. The list CA posted can we do without those items. I don't know if you posted it for info, economic impact or something else CA, so I'm not trying to argue.
3. Would this have a major impact on illegals?
4. Would the Southeast be able to take advantage of this and see an uptick in agriculture jobs?
5. Are Nevada, espically Las Vegas, and Arizona screwed?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wasn't familiar with the TotC, but then I've never claimed to be an economics expert. Incidentally, it's not just an economic theory. After reading about it, it's pretty much common sense: when dealing with common resources, self-interested actions work to the detriment of society as a whole. That's a lesson for kindergarten: share what belongs to the group. To take it a step further, common resources must be managed by society, often to the detriment of individual freedom. Got it. No problem.

What threw me off was your first sentence. I've read the thing ten times and still can't make any sense of it.
It wasn't very well worded. Let me try again. The planning for this crisis should have begun at least 15 years ago, maybe 20. It would have taken millions upon millions of dollars in equipment investment to convert from sheet irrigation. That's where the TotC kicks in. Why should a farmer do that, when he looks over and his neighbor is pumping away for sheet, or, worse yet, is running booms. It's not going to happen. Only when the crunch comes and efficient irrigation becomes the only way to stay in business will real change be made, with pain for all of us. It's really the breakdown point of lassez faire economics. One slender volume which I read years ago was "Folklore of Capitalism" by Thurman Arnold. I've never looked at labels the same since. Some will consider him too far left because of his trust-busting as an assistant Attorney General, but his skeptical and iconoclastic view of standard political economics changed my views forever. (Don't know how many monopoly lovers there are out there...) :D

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks Tide HSV (can't reply with quote form some reason)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

The
tragedy of the commons is an economic theory by Garrett Hardin, which states that individuals acting independently and rationally according to each's self-interest behave contrary to the best interests of the whole group by depleting some common resource. The term is taken from the title of an article written by Hardin in 1968, which is in turn based upon an essay by a Victorian economist on the effects of unregulated grazing on common land.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Actually that's not true. South Texas has the same water problem the Central Valley of CA has, probably even worse after a few years...
My response wasn't that South Texas has plenty of water, it was in response to what areas of the country can grow fruits and veggies in the winter months.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
link

In my previous post, I pointed out that agriculture uses 80% of the water in California but accounts for less than 2% of the economy. So how much water does almond production alone use? More water is used in almond production than is used by all the residents and businesses of San Francisco and Los Angeles combined.
[text bolded by me]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.