California has one year's worth of water remaining per NASA scientist

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
What if we took someof the melting ice from Antartica and placed it in Big Bear Lake? It would solve California's water problem and prevent sea level rises at the same time.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I don't think there's any way desalinization can solve the problems of the central valley...
Not with current technology. It could provide potable water for the masses, but not nearly enough for the thirsty farmers. One thing that needs to happen is restructuring the water infrastructure to make it possible to plumb houses with gray water for toilets, washers, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
SIAP...here's an easy-to-scan article on how much water is required to make various foods and beverages:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/food-water-footprint_n_5952862.html

Winner: Beer at 296 gallons of water per gallon of beer. It takes 872 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of wine. But if you look at standard servings of each, the race gets closer with about 28 gallons of water needed for 12 fluid ounces of beer and 34 gallons of water needed for 5 fluid ounces of wine.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not with current technology. It could provide potable water for the masses, but not nearly enough for the thirsty farmers. One thing that needs to happen is restructuring the water infrastructure to make it possible to plumb houses with gray water for toilets, washers, etc.

Of course, that still only helps with the tiny portion used by residents and businesses. I've posted it before in the thread, but they need to learn drip irrigation, as opposed to sheet. They will, eventually, but it may be too late...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Of course, that still only helps with the tiny portion used by residents and businesses. I've posted it before in the thread, but they need to learn drip irrigation, as opposed to sheet. They will, eventually, but it may be too late...
Yup. Open aqueducts, open trench irrigation, sprinklers that point more up versus downward, etc only leads to massive evaporation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw a funny user comment to an article about this topic. Here's the article if you are interested ("An Engineered Drought"):

http://www.city-journal.org/2015/cjc0402vdh.html

Now for the comment...in Seebell's best Marie Antoinette voice: "Let them drink Evian!"
I think that author needs to go back to the dictionary and look more closely at the word "efficient." CA agbusiness may be "efficient" in relation to other regions, in the ratio of the water they use. However, it's grotesquely inefficient in relation to the true reserves CA has. Looked at that way, it's terribly short-sighted. Also, he needs to brush up on his history. Trying to blame CA's present crunch, largely agricultural, on environmentalists made me snort aloud. Environmentalist's opposition to Hetch-Hetchy was tooth and nail and well documented. They finally traded Hetch-Hetchy in order to save Yosemite, a decision many regret, but I'd wager that few would have joy over Yosemite being drowned. This article is so ill-informed and written, I'm not sure what rung of journalism it belongs on. CA's problem is Apple and Facebook. Sure, can't you think of a bigger one than that? BTW, "Evian" is a French brand. Has anyone ever spelled it backwards?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Below is a link which explains that drought is the norm in CA, not the exception like the 20th century was. The author has his own viewpoint, but the science showing the pattern is pretty sound. However, illustrating the denial it takes to live there, my SIL moved back there a couple of years ago. She's one of those people who believe a change of address will solve all of their problems. She's already lived two places in Ventura. She thinks CA is heaven on earth. One of the things she loves is - wait for it - it hardly ever rains... ;)

LINK

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.