California has one year's worth of water remaining per NASA scientist

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article on the "scapegoating of California farmers":

http://www.wsj.com/articles/californias-farm-water-scapegoat-1428706579

A common claim is that agriculture consumes about 80% of “developed” water supply, yet this excludes the half swiped off the top for environmental purposes. Farmers typically consume about 80% of the remainder, so only 40% of the total. Urban users get the rest. Note also that state and federal water projects, which export water from the Delta, have slashed contractual allocations more for agriculture than to urban users. See the nearby chart.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I know it would be expensive and environmental concerns would be huge but we pump oil and gas across the country. Why can't we do the same with water? It would have the added benefit of flood relief. Has it ever been done, not a regional setup, a nationwide system?

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So essentially this issue is like everything else going on today. It is a problem, a massive problem, and everyone agrees it has to be fixed or the consequences will be dire. But everyone has their vested interests that they won't budge from. America.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
CA is the poster child for liberalism that goes unchecked. They have had the run of the state. They've made the decisions for taxes, economic policy, environment and immigration. They are the problem they look to solve. When you ignore science, economic principles, and simple mathematics disasters will follow. It really is that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Tom Selleck Accused of Stealing Water for California Ranch

A water district has sued Tom Selleck, claiming the star of the crime shows "Magnum, P.I." and "Blue Bloods" stole truckloads of water from a public hydrant and took it to his ranch in drought-stricken California.

The Calleguas Municipal Water District in Ventura County claims a tanker truck filled up at a hydrant more than a dozen times and hauled water to a 60-acre ranch owned by Selleck in Westlake Village.

The Los Angeles Times says Selleck grows avocados at the ranch.

Representatives for Selleck did not return phone messages and emails seeking comment Wednesday. The lawsuit also names his wife, Jillie Selleck.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...used-stealing-water-california-ranch-32306474

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: Tom Selleck Accused of Stealing Water for California Ranch

Why did Superman (in Superman I, I think) have to seal up that fault line and stop a missile from sending Cali into the Pacific? If he had not, they would have all the water they need.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: Tom Selleck Accused of Stealing Water for California Ranch

The Calleguas Municipal Water District accused Selleck of illegally moving water over district boundaries from Thousand Oaks to his 60-acre Hidden Valley estate, and it spent about $22,000 on a private investigator to track the deliveries, according to a complaint filed in Ventura County Superior Court.
Looks like somebody wasted $22,000:eek:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.