Anthony Grant has been fired..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If we hire Howland today I'd rather the assistants coach the NIT. They know the players and the system and deserve a chance to show other schools what they can do. Maybe have him tag along and sit on the bench and observe, but that would be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I just think it became apparent that he wasn't a good fit and he knew it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not an insider nor do I know anything at this point. From what I've read and heard, and Keep this in mind, this is considered " hearsay" and may not be any truth to it. He wasn't happy for long time. I think he felt pressured, and it took the fun out of the coaching... I think he would've left, if he hadn't been fired . I don't think he would want to walk into next season knowing that 90 percent of fans hate him and the players know that and it really did affected them as a whole. That's why I kept saying we don't know the whole story and yet we blamed him for what we see... I think Grant will be much happier and his team will be much better next year. I wouldn't be suprised to see him take a year off though.

Really going to tease us, and yet give us no information?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I think he felt pressured, and it took the fun out of the coaching... I think he would've left, if he hadn't been fired.
Even if that's hypothetical, only one thing to say - Earth to Grant! Coaching is all about pressure - that's why they pay you the big bucks. If you meant the pressure of promoting a program, which you clearly were not suited for, then the product you put on the hardwood does the talking for you. And that product's been "talking" your demise for 3-4 years now. So we bid you adieu with some not-fond-memories but are nevertheless compelled to comment that here's to your looking even better now on the sideline (like $4M better) in your new pressure-free Saville Row suit...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm not an insider nor do I know anything at this point. From what I've read and heard, and Keep this in mind, this is considered " hearsay" and may not be any truth to it. He wasn't happy for long time. I think he felt pressured, and it took the fun out of the coaching... I think he would've left, if he hadn't been fired . I don't think he would want to walk into next season knowing that 90 percent of fans hate him and the players know that and it really did affected them as a whole. That's why I kept saying we don't know the whole story and yet we blamed him for what we see... I think Grant will be much happier and his team will be much better next year. I wouldn't be suprised to see him take a year off though.

Hate? I suspect it's not even 9 percent, but facts are facts -- the job wasn't getting done. If he was unhappy, then the best thing happened for all concerned. We don't know how he was treated within the athletic department -- we certainly gave him time and a lot of money. We also know Saban was some sort of mentor early on. Still, over the last several seasons, Anthony Grant looked like the loneliest man on earth.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jim Farmer talked to BOL today about Grant's firing. Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Former Alabama men’s basketball and NBA player Jim Farmer has kept in touch with the Crimson Tide’s men’s basketball program since he left Tuscaloosa as a player in 1987. On Monday morning, Farmer spoke with BOL to give his thoughts on the program’s firing of head coach Anthony Grant on Sunday afternoon.

“I obviously read what Bill Battle wrote last night. That is to the T what everybody feels,” Farmer said in a phone interview. “I think his former players that I’ve talked to -- everybody thinks that Anthony’s just a class-act, a great guy, a good coach. I mean, is he getting enough talent in there? I question that, whether we’re recruiting enough talented guys. Obviously that shows on the floor.

“But he’s a great guy, and at the end of the day, it’s about wins and losses. And we just -- Alabama wasn’t bad, but we weren’t good. And I think with the reputation -- Alabama’s right behind Kentucky in SEC with the most wins and we want to continue that and it just wasn’t getting done.

“I hate it for Anthony’s family because I really like him. He treated me so well when I visited and went to games, just a super guy. I hate that it happened, but he knows this is a business and it’s about wins and losses and there weren’t enough wins and weren’t enough NCAA appearances.”

lorange

1st Team
Jan 21, 2005
I cannot believe how poor CAG's recruiting was. It took him 5 yrs. to sign a post player.Taylor has a way to go but at least there is some hope. The incoming coach will have to hustle to find some muscular bodies to rebound the ball. Don't be surprised to see some subtractions from the roster.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I never met the man, but looking from afar CAG always seemed like he had zero personality and it was hard to know how to take him. When Mal Moore hired him, I wanted him to succeed, but he never inspired any confidence in me that he would, from day 1. This should have probably been done two yrs ago, so no one can say we didn't give him a chance. I still can't believe that we kept him around 6 yrs.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I never met the man, but looking from afar CAG always seemed like he had zero personality and it was hard to know how to take him. When Mal Moore hired him, I wanted him to succeed, but he never inspired any confidence in me that he would, from day 1. This should have probably been done two yrs ago, so no one can say we didn't give him a chance. I still can't believe that we kept him around 6 yrs.
I met the man and he was down to earth and very personable.. I met him at a Sunday night reception prior to the NIT final four in 2011. I even got him to laugh when I told him he had a great name. I told him Anthony I'd my middle name. He will be ok, collecting a salary for 4 more years is not a bad deal. I expect to see him back at a mid major in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Have been away from the computer and news for a couple of days. Just now seeing this news and feel much the same way I did when Shula was let go. Sorry it didn't work out how we had hoped but it had to be done. I am glad and hope things will improve going forward. I wish Coach Grant luck in his future endeavors.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Employers and stakeholders tend to have expectations of someone who makes nearly $2 mil a year and is one of the highest paid in their profession. That time of pay limits the amount of hard luck excuses one can make. If he couldn't handle the pressure at a program like Alabama (with reasonable fan expectations) that's all on him. He was given ample time to improve the program and he failed to do so. Not to mention, he never really tried to promote the program or ingratiate himself to the fans, even admitting "he didn't have time". That in itself is inexcusable.

He is the coach... he is to blame for what see and what we saw was 2 straight years of lackluster performance and an average 6 year tenure with very little player development.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Im not going to bother replying to some of the comments.... because this is frustrating... right now.... Too many blaming going on.... IT's all good. I'm just done with this thread....

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yes JNM81, we know your heart is broken that your man Grant has been fired. Nobody can give me one reason why he should have even stayed. Coach Battle did what many of us (including myself) didn't think he would do and that was fire Grant.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think one of the interesting things is that Dickie V. hasn't weighed in on the situation. He usually has an opinion on firings and hirings and I haven't seen a thing on his twitter feed defending CAG. I remember at the beginning of the year he spoke about CAG being on the "hot seat", but that was the last time.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Not to bad. If I was Grant I would just take the year off..
We did a poor job negotiating his contract. Six years was plenty of time to demonstrate what he could do. I am like many others who really thought we had the right guy with Grant, but who are now disappointed in the state of the program. He had six years, and the program is more stagnant now than when he arrived. It is baffling how we could still owe him money. We made him a wealthy man, but he failed to do the complete job he was hired to do. He made one NCAA in six years. Granted, we should have made another but got the shaft; however, we should only have to say thank you to him for conducting himself in a classy and professional manner while he thanks us for the opportunity. I wish him well, but I hope Coleman Coliseum can now be filled with the same enthusiasm for basketball that it has for gymnastics. I don't think that is asking too much.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
Come on let's be classy and not ignorant, He did recruit a post player who was a 5 star kid, his name was Devonta Pollard... please lets just flame people for she sake of flaming them.

I cannot believe how poor CAG's recruiting was. It took him 5 yrs. to sign a post player.Taylor has a way to go but at least there is some hope. The incoming coach will have to hustle to find some muscular bodies to rebound the ball. Don't be surprised to see some subtractions from the roster.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Devonta Pollard was anything but a post player. He was listed as 6'8 or so and pencil thin. He is averaging 12 points a game with Houston as a Junior. He could't hit the broad side of a barn here.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.