My realistic targets are
Gregg Marshall
Archie Miller
and Tim Cluess.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
PLEASE, for the love of all that is Crimson: tell me Battle didn't make this decision because of some single game/Bockrath type, Hoi Polloi campaign. This man is supposed to be a CEO, not a weather-vane. I agree that Grant was a failure; that's obvious to the casual observer. We need someone manning the helm with a PLAN!

Why is there no President? Why do we have a 75 year old caretaker AD? Who would walk into a situation that is so possibly fraught with uncertainty? Is it REALLY because the moneyed class MUST have a male President with a wife who will attend their charity functions and teas? Are we really in this much trouble?

Alabama basketball should be a GREAT job. What in the world is going on??
JMO, but I think Battle may have underestimated how much the Bama Nation cares about B-ball. Couple that with terrible attendance and a funeral home environement in Coleman and the upswing of the Barn program and the excitement surounding it and it quickly started to make sense that a change was needed.

I respect his leadership to make a difficult decision. The easy decision was to do nothing.

However, don't think the Battle made this decision on his own as an interim AD. He certainly had advisory counsel and encouragment from the Crimson Brass that surrounds him.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
As everyone know, this is a critical hire. We need a big splash with this hire to generate some attention from the national media. We do not need to settle for a guy who is not proven. If we have to pay 3 or 4 million a year, that is the cost to generate success. Coach Cal didn't leave Memphis for Kentucky at 1 million a year. If we want to be a relevant school in terms of basketball, we need to prove it with the resources, not only financial, that we give the new coach. We need to give the new coach no excuse for failure.

BTW,I didn't realize Roy Rogers was coaching. He was one of my favorite all time players.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
None of those guys. It'll be someone... with experience. Steve Prohm isn't going to come to Alabama... Now, Tom Cream.No. I would say Brad Stevens from NBA could consider this one... He's not exactly happy up there...
Steve Prohm is an Alabama graduate. He'd come to Alabama.

Tom Cream would probably come to Alabama because he's on Indiana fans' most hated list.

Brad Stevens would then go to Indiana most likely. Then again, he's only half a game out of the playoffs. The team is building for the future, so he may want to stay in Boston.

I haven't been able to come up with a list of top candidates. Honestly, I'm still surprised Battle did it. I figured he wouldn't make the decision and let the next AD do it.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Tidesports Hot list:

1. Howland - Expressed interest.
2. Prohm
3. Davis

Although they say more candidates will emerge.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Tom Cream.. no. I know Steve graduated from Alabama, but I don't think he is really ready for big stage.

Howland- I like him.. but his personality and his getting fired after 25-10 season..... Minor Red flag, but who knows... maybe he needed a change of scenary. He can recuit. He can coach. He has the personality. But can he really do it in Alabama? I have no issue with him. but rest of the list.. No.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Tom Cream.. no. I know Steve graduated from Alabama, but I don't think he is really ready for big stage.

Howland- I like him.. but his personality and his getting fired after 25-10 season..... Minor Red flag, but who knows... maybe he needed a change of scenary. He can recuit. He can coach. He has the personality. But can he really do it in Alabama? I have no issue with him. but rest of the list.. No.
I like howland....he would be a big splash hire that would one up auburn and Bruce pearl....he can recruit and has the resume and most importantly, has experience.....he can go into a recruits house and say I've coached and developed nba players like Russell Westbrook, Kevin love, etc.

He indicated in an interview that he would play fast paced like he did his last year at ucla where by the way he won the conference championship and beat Arizona 3 times

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if part of Howland's problem at UCLA was that he isn't John Wooden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
A lot of excitement and questions surrounds the search. What will be the financial package offered? $2 to $3 mil a year? My hope is that there is someone with an ego that wants to come to a great University that is not afraid to take on Cal, Donovan, and Pearl, etc.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I just want the next coach to be someone who is the face of the program and will get out there and promote the program. It always bugged me that Grant seemed to refuse to do that stuff. I know most here do not like Pearl but, in the year since he was hired at Auburn I've seen and heard more interviews, TV and public appearances by him then all 6 years of Grant's stay at Bama. I don't even care about Auburn basketball and, at least here in Montgomery, you haven't been able to escape the Pearl mania. This is what I want from the next Bama coach!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I just want to clarify for everyone that it is Tom Crean, not Tom Cream. And yes, IU fans hate him, however he exceeded expectations for this year. It was expected to be a rebuilding year for IU and they still made it into the tourney while still spending most of the year ranked. Their tailspin at the end of the year didn't help his case, but I think he's safe at IU for another year at least since he made the tournament.

Also, Gregg Marshall most likely isn't leaving Wichita State unless a Duke, Kansas, or UCLA type team comes calling. He's built a stacked group at Wichita State, and I doubt he'd take a step back to leave even if the money is good.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Ben Howland fits the criteria of the job. He has a proven track record in the Big Dance of final fours and championship games. He'd be a big splash from a media perspective. Negatives, is he let UCLA players run amok and he has zero knowledge of the south. He 'll be starting from scratch and that concerns me. Georgia hired Harrick a while back from UCLA and it turned out to be a disaster.

Regardless of who they bring in, we need to be patient. This will not be an immediate turn around. It'll take about 3 years for us to be on the Florida and hopefully UK level. I am not sure we will ever be able to compete with UK with Cal there though.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Our head basketball job is a good job, no doubt. Financial resources, access to fertile recruiting, athletic department support, etc. The challenge for this particular hire at this particular time will be having an AD in Battle that is viewed as being "short term" and the looming change in the President's office. That situation will give candidates pause IF they have other good options or alternatives.

I think Gregg Marshall would be a home run, but he has turned down or declined to consider similar openings in past years and is probably content to either remain the king of Wichita or hold out for super-elite job down the road.

You would have to think Howland would take the job and Prohm would look hard at it. Archie Miller would be compelling choice, but I'm not sure how much money he makes now. Josh Pastner would probably take the job (and bring some big-name recruits with him), but he'd probably just be a year ahead of the posse that wants him out at Memphis. Haase at UAB is a good coach, but I can't see the BOT smiling upon the poaching of a UAB, given the mess over shutting down football there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.