New coach search...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Kentucky has proven it doesn't work that way. So has Saban, you recruit the most talented kids and they will go pro as soon as they can. Anyone that gets it in their head that it works some other way is just confused.
Oy vey......................

You don't seem to get it. No one cares if the kids go pro, as long as they win something when they are there.

They haven't won crap at Bevo U, and that, along with supreme arrogance of the big hat crowd, is all that you need to know.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

You don't seem to get it. No one cares if the kids go pro, as long as they win something when they are there.

They haven't won crap at Bevo U, and that, along with supreme arrogance of the big hat crowd, is all that you need to know.
They haven't won it but they, the big hat crowd, do have it on their boots.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
If the PC is announced by WSU, I tend to lean towards this, but I also don't think you let your prospective employer fly up the morning of the announcement of the extension when a simple phone call expressing the decision would suffice.

That said, I have no idea which way this will turn out. I'm trying to be hopeful and optimistic, while still realizing there's a good chance something like this happens.
well, there's that :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I've gone over his results several times, I do get it. He's the most successful coach they ever had. It would be different if they had won a NCAA title, ever... then they could whine about not winning one with him, but all he did was bring the most success they ever had, and that wasn't good enough. That's just a sense of entitlement, it's like saying Alabama will fire their next coach if all he does is take Alabama to the final four. That's insane. It might make sense if you're talking Alabama football, or Kentucky basketball... but even then it reeks of entitlement.

Let's say Cody doesn't block that kick, and Alabama doesn't back into two other title games. Should Saban have been fired? If Calipari hasn't won his single championship at Kentucky, should he have been fired? No, that's nuts, and as far as conference championships, with the NCAA tournament, unless you're a mid-major a conference championship is meaningless drivel. Now, I'm not completely sure if you are defending their position or merely pointing out their arrogance, but my point was just that they're arrogant fools and I really hope that mentality never seeps into Alabama basketball.

I belabor the point because I was somewhat annoyed with Gene Stallings, I mean after all he wasn't winning one every year (I was young), the offense kinda sucked, etc... and even Wimp, I mean all that talent and nothing better than the Sweet 16? Little did I know that they'd be looked on so fondly in retrospect.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think left a sammich in here somewhere. Think it was about page 48. (And no, I am not "Bad decision making Rob Lowe). Anybody seen it?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Post-secondary education is supposed to prepare you for a professional career. There is no set time frame.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I've gone over his results several times, I do get it. He's the most successful coach they ever had. It would be different if they had won a NCAA title, ever... then they could whine about not winning one with him, but all he did was bring the most success they ever had, and that wasn't good enough. That's just a sense of entitlement, it's like saying Alabama will fire their next coach if all he does is take Alabama to the final four. That's insane. It might make sense if you're talking Alabama football, or Kentucky basketball... but even then it reeks of entitlement.
Barnes is kind of like Mack Brown in that he consistently underachieved despite having tons of talent.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Krazy: "I belabor the point..." Surely you wouldn't! [emoji6]
Heh, sometimes I miss not being able to like a post.

Barnes is kind of like Mack Brown in that he consistently underachieved despite having tons of talent.
The big difference is that Texas is a football power, before Barnes came around they couldn't make that claim in basketball. If you told them before they hired Barnes, that they'd get a guy who would go to the NCAA tournament 19 out of 20 years, they would have been overjoyed, it wouldn't have even occurred to them that firing him for performance reasons could be a possibility.

The other thing that Texas seems to have missed is that Barnes brought in the talent... I mean I made the same complaint with Wimp Sanderson, I have openly questioned whether or not he was a good coach, or just a great recruiter. However, that doesn't change the fact that Alabama's basketball program was better with him. I've mentioned it before but it's actually the same complaints some make about Saban, how could he not win a championship (in a given season) with all that talent? Well, first let's start with the fact that he's why all that talent is there, and go from there.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I just hope that if CBB uses the internet to prove to Marshall that the Alabama fan base is passionate about basketball, he uses Tidefans and not AL.com. :biggrin2:
As long as he doesn't venture over to the Non-Sports board. Then he'll wonder what kind of freak shows Alabama fans are...

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
The big difference is that Texas is a football power, before Barnes came around they couldn't make that claim in basketball. If you told them before they hired Barnes, that they'd get a guy who would go to the NCAA tournament 19 out of 20 years, they would have been overjoyed, it wouldn't have even occurred to them that firing him for performance reasons could be a possibility.
This is an odd argument. The basic sense that people have is that Barnes quite often has not gotten what he should have out of his teams (we could quibble about the difficulty of accurately gauging his teams' talent, but I think it's fairly plain that he's had some ultra-ultra-talented teams at Texas). Where does Texas's traditional status as a football oriented sports program enter into that general critique? Evaluating how a coach has faired versus his program's expectations is very distinct from evaluating whether he's been able to get his teams to play up to their talent level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.