New coach search...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Do you want another micro manager?
I have never endorsed CAJ as a candidate, because I don't think he is a realistic candidate to begin with. I think he would be a step up from CAG though.

no question gillespie sunk the ship, but tubby won a championship in his 1st or 2nd season (largely pitino's players, im pretty sure) and then proceeded to run the program into the ground.
I agree, Tubby won with Pitino's players. He never reached the summit again. he kinda just floated along. I don't think he necessarily sank the ship (Tubby that is), but he wasn't doing much to steer it away from the iceberg before Gillespie got there.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
<rant>
I haven't replied to this thread yet because I'm more of a lurker most of the time, but I follow our basketball team and basketball in general closely. The names I see thrown around on here are a joke. We had a slim chance at a splash hire, and our AD blew it, bad. Our chances at getting Marshall were really slim even with crimson colored glasses on. It was worth gauging interest, but the handling of this situation has been a joke. You don't let it be known publicly that you're meeting unless you know your chances are really good. You don't issue a statement about a guy you missed on. You don't give a coach that much time to decide.

We aren't getting Brad Stevens. We're not a destination school and anyone who follow basketball knows that. We're the basketball equivalent Ole Miss football, but without a championship. Let's just go hire Prohm and be done with it.

All that being said, I hope Battle pulls off something I don't see coming, and if he does, I will gladly admit that I'm wrong. I just have zero confidence it's going to happen.
</endrant>

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I have never endorsed CAJ as a candidate, because I don't think he is a realistic candidate to begin with. I think he would be a step up from CAG though.
He turned the Mavs around, when they needed it. His act wore thin, rather quickly. He definitely has the work ethic and energy, but, yeah, not a realistic candidate.

OTOH...........

Some are still whining we should have hired the con man down in Lee County. So, in that light, CAJ could be viewed as a realistic candidate. (Maybe that should be in blue. I dunno.)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
He turned the Mavs around, when they needed it. His act wore thin, rather quickly. He definitely has the work ethic and energy, but, yeah, not a realistic candidate.

OTOH...........

Some are still whining we should have hired the con man down in Lee County. So, in that light, CAJ could be viewed as a realistic candidate. (Maybe that should be in blue. I dunno.)
Bruce Pearl is great...for someone else. Not here. When you have to wonder about someone's integrity at every step, you can't take that kind of chance on him. Period.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It is hard to find examples of career NBA coaches who've come to the college ranks and had success. College coaches have gone to the NBA and then come back and done well (Rick Pitino, Larry Brown, Cal, Lon Kruger, etc.), but I draw a blank in terms of one career NBA guy who has jumped to college and done well. NC State tried it with Sidney Lowe a few years ago and it didn't work out.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We're not going to go after Avery Johnson, Izzo, Steve Prohom, Tom Crean and Brad Stevens. I seroiusly doubt we'll go after a NBA guy at this point.

Stevens already said he's not coming back to college rank...
Miller at this point, but right now, it's a huge iffy. our realistic shot is Pitinio, Ron Hunter, Mike White, and Josh Pastner. I would expect the White, Pastner and Pitnio to get phone call from Battle this week.. and have coach by next week. It's a not a splash... but hey... safe hire.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
We're not going to go after Avery Johnson, Izzo, Steve Prohom, Tom Crean and Brad Stevens. I seroiusly doubt we'll go after a NBA guy at this point.

Miller at this point, but right now, it's a huge iffy. our realistic shot is Pitinio, Ron Hunter, Mike White, and Josh Pastner. I would expect the White, Pastner and Pitnio to get phone call from Battle this week.. and have coach by next week. It's a not a splash... but hey... safe hire.
I understand Avery Johnson, Izzo, Crean, and Stevens in that list, but why not Prohm?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Cecil says, "Miller and Prohm are on the list as of now".

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think Battle had a commitment from Marshall when he flew up there, and thought he'd be bringing him back to at least see T-town or introduce him as our coach. When he didn't come back, we should have simply moved on. I think Marshall never had any true intention of taking our job, but he lied in order to court UT and eventually force Wichita State's hand in order for them to give him a raise they can not afford. Again, a man that is serious and is talking about his family at least gets on a plane to check out the lay of the land. This is not the characteristics of a man you want running your program. If we sit back and think about it, what would happen when the UK, Duke, or North Carolina job comes open. We'd be in the same position Wichita is in today. They may think they won him, but for how long.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Not sure, Miller just got an extension and say's that he and his wife are happy in Dayton. Prohm got an extension about 2 years ago.
How much does Miller and Prohm make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How much does Miller and Prohm make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not just about the money. That was proven with the Marshall debacle. We need a coach that actually wants to be in Tuscaloosa and build a program. Apparently that's hard to find..

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
I think Battle had a commitment from Marshall when he flew up there, and thought he'd be bringing him back to at least see T-town or introduce him as our coach. When he didn't come back, we should have simply moved on. I think Marshall never had any true intention of taking our job, but he lied in order to court UT and eventually force Wichita State's hand in order for them to give him a raise they can not afford. Again, a man that is serious and is talking about his family at least gets on a plane to check out the lay of the land. This is not the characteristics of a man you want running your program. If we sit back and think about it, what would happen when the UK, Duke, or North Carolina job comes open. We'd be in the same position Wichita is in today. They may think they won him, but for how long.
This is exactly why I didn't like the guy...I guess he is just looking after his Family....can't fault him I guess...it's all a game....one I hate!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
...then we messed around long enough for WSU to gather themselves and put together a package to keep him that was very close if not the same as our offer.
I'm not certain of the truth of this statement. What little I've seen suggests that our offer was still $1.0M-$1.5M higher per year...even after CGM receives his "enhanced package".

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My 2 cents--whoever we may ultimately get, at this point I don't think we should be looking in a panic mode and be in any hurry since we struck out on GM. We should probably step back, reassess the landscape, and start afresh. This hire will probably set the tone and direction of our basketball program for many years. We need to take whatever time it takes to GET IT RIGHT.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014

If those are the choices......I want pastner.....he can recruit with the best of them

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Just don't take Richard Pitino. That is so Shula that it makes me ill just thinking about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.