New coach search...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I don't see Battle's release as a big deal. Is there anyone who was even remotely following our coaching search, or college basketball in general for that matter, that was unaware we were pursuing CGM? There was no hiding that he was our top choice, so the announcement wasn't breaking news nor did it reveal anything that wasn't already known. Will be interesting to see where we go from here.
I agree. And it showed more class than the individual who was addressed therein.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've been very active on this thread so I will post a series of thoughts that are strictly my opinion. Coach Gregg Marshall, Congrats! You got a large raise and will continue to coach at a place that you have made your home. There is something to be said for being content in your current location. I'm a fan and have been for several years. I started paying attention to your career after WSU knocked us off in the championship game of the NIT a few years ago. When it became painfully obvious 2 years ago that we would be needing a new coach, you were one of my top picks as a replacement and when we finally made a move I was ecstatic that we chose to pursue you for the job. I have no doubt that you will have continued success at WSU. I am disappointed that you did not accept our offer. With the right person as the head coach our program has the potential to do great things. You have proven that you can do great things at WSU and I'm sure you could have duplicated and even exceed that at Bama.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
I've been very active on this thread so I will post a series of thoughts that are strictly my opinion. Coach Gregg Marshall, Congrats! You got a large raise and will continue to coach at a place that you have made your home. There is something to be said for being content in your current location. I'm a fan and have been for several years. I started paying attention to your career after WSU knocked us off in the championship game of the NIT a few years ago. When it became painfully obvious 2 years ago that we would be needing a new coach, you were one of my top picks as a replacement and when we finally made a move I was ecstatic that we chose to pursue you for the job. I have no doubt that you will have continued success at WSU. I am disappointed that you did not accept our offer. With the right person as the head coach our program has the potential to do great things. You have proven that you can do great things at WSU and I'm sure you could have duplicated and even exceed that at Bama.
Ditto

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
What do u guys think about Avery Johnson? He was a good player in the NBA and a pretty good coach when he was coaching the Mavericks....he's an ESPN analyst now.....Iowa St. And Fred Hoiberg proves that a former NBA player and coach that has never coached college can be successful .....I say we take a chance on him.....I mean, I'm not too impressed with everyone else in college that is left to pick from that's available

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Questions: Didn't A. Miller go public to tell the world that he was extremely happy at Dayton and had no intention of leaving? Didn't he then sign an extension with Dayton? Didn't this curiously happen to coincide with the beginning of our search? Did he not know we were interested? Is Coach Miller lying or playing games? Why in Heaven's name would he be our next target? Did we enjoy the events of the past week?

Last edited:

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Originally Posted by colbysullivan

I still don't understand why we didn't pursue Smart when it was clear Marshall wasn't serious about coming.
I'm not sure, either, but I am grateful we didn't.
If Shaka had an agent, it could have happened, but according to reports, Smart does his own negotiating.

It would have been wrong to contact him directly when you're still waiting for an answer from Marshall.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm trying to be civil about this but at what point do we concede Bill Battle might be in over his head?

I'm not suggesting we replace him. I'm curious to know if he has any help with this whole thing.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If Shaka had an agent, it could have happened, but according to reports, Smart does his own negotiating.

It would have been wrong to contact him when you're still waiting for an answer from Marshall.
Wrong? BB got back on the plane without CGM. At that point, you pursue other candidates IMO.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I gotta say, I am pretty peeved right now.

The longer this drags on the less and less likely we'll land a top level coach. Archie Miller is a very good coach, but he hasn't proven he can recruit elite kids yet. We no longer have the luxury of being patient and getting a game changer who is proven. We are going to have to take a chance on an up and coming guy. There are plenty of guys who can coach X's O's, but recruiting is what will make a difference. We have to keep the Bledsoe's and Cousins type kids home.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Questions: Didn't A. Miller go public to tell the world that he was extremely happy at Dayton and had no intention of leaving? Didn't he then sign an extension with Dayton? Didn't this curiously happen to coincide with the beginning of our search? Did he not know we were interested? Is Coach Miller lying or playing games? Why in Heaven's name would he be our next target? Did we enjoy the events of the past week?
From what I've read elsewhere, Miller's extension may have been signed back in December, not after Dayton's recent run in the tournament and not at the beginning of our search.

PlanoBamaDad

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2010
It's been a bad week with our bad publicity with the board of trustees, Battle's fumbling the coaching search, and of course some of our players arrested. I'm hoping as the Easter sun rises on Sunday morning that our round of bad luck will change and we'll get the RIGHT basketball coach, the events around our football team will calm down, and people will again remember just what an incredible special place UA is and will continue to be! Happy Easter and Roll Ride!

HendersonKYTide

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2006
Better than Pitino in an alumnus kind of way but no less of a yawner in my opinion.
I understand, but we tried to land the hottest coach that was a possibility and of no fault of ours we did not get it done. I am a Murray Alum and think Prohm can do a good job and once given a chance will bring some excitement to our program. Will not be a splash hire, but will be much better than what we have been watching the last few years.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I gotta say, I am pretty peeved right now.

The longer this drags on the less and less likely we'll land a top level coach. Archie Miller is a very good coach, but he hasn't proven he can recruit elite kids yet. We no longer have the luxury of being patient and getting a game changer who is proven. We are going to have to take a chance on an up and coming guy. There are plenty of guys who can coach X's O's, but recruiting is what will make a difference. We have to keep the Bledsoe's and Cousins type kids home.
Have we not allegedly had a good recruiter? Seems we need to try a new direction or thought process?

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
Let me first say that I'm disappointed in how this has gone SO FAR, but do the critics of coach Battle have any idea of his overall accomplishments in the world of athletics/business?

He is an an extremely successful businessman and had the confidence of Coach Paul Bryant. Let's let this play out as hard as that is. Criticizing our leader at this point won't help.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.