New coach search...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
No idea who this guy is, but given how much time has passed, this is about where I'm at. I'd love to see Marshall in T-town, but I'm getting the feeling it's between Austin and Wichita.
I'm sure he wants to somewhere the AD and all the big hat/cigar crowd are going to tell him what to do, every step of the way.

That is the Bevo way. (Not in blue, because I am serious.........thrown in for all of the readers who have not lived here for the last 40+ years.)

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Looks like we're headed back to our pessimistic navel gazing status ;) we suck he doesn't want us damn shorthorns yada yada yada
I wouldn't go that far, but I just think the longer this takes, the more likely it is that he stays in Wichita, or goes somewhere else.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
Outside of Marshall or Smart the fanbase is not going to be very excited about the hire and the new Coach will be behind the 8ball in terms of support right from the start. I have a feeling we are going to end up wishing Grant was never fired. Not good.

RTR '14

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Outside of Marshall or Smart the fanbase is not going to be very excited about the hire and the new Coach will be behind the 8ball in terms of support right from the start. I have a feeling we are going to end up wishing Grant was never fired. Not good.

RTR '14
I wouldn't go that far. Grant went 6 years without winning an NCAA game. Whoever we get will either A) win a tournament game/make multiple tournaments in 6 years or B) get fired before they get to year 6.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I wouldn't go that far. Grant went 6 years without winning an NCAA game. Whoever we get will either A) win a tournament game/make multiple tournaments in 6 years or B) get fired before they get to year 6.
What I mean by wishing he were still the coach is we fired him and not saying he didn't deserve it, but couldn't land one better. I hope I'm wrong...

RTR '14

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
LIKE! I understand the family input part, however it's not like he's being asked to move to Australian Bush in order to coach basketball. There is a lot to do in Tuscaloosa and in Alabama in general. The only thing that I wonder is if he left South Carolina to get away from the "South". I can't see how living in Alabama would be much different. In fact, it might be an upgrade from South Carolina.
He lived 15 miles from Charlotte, not exactly Eclectic.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
On the other hand, I've read a number of articles stating that CGM is a man of integrity and that he would not disrespect Battle by wasting his time.
I do think that Marshall's lack of interesting in Alabama has been exaggerated. However, there seems to be some grain of truth to the idea that he'd prefer Texas/he has until Friday/he wasn't blown away. He's had time to think this over, it appears in the least Alabama has been in contact with his agent prior to his last game. The only thing that really changed was the Texas opening, if he wanted to do this it would be done.

So, why is he dragging his feet? His season is over, the offer is on the table. There's no way to put a positive spin on his reluctant, even if it simply means he is a very deliberate and thoughtful person, in the very least it means he's not 100% on doing it. It also might indicate that if he does go to Alabama, it will be very hard to get him to leave, but that doesn't change the current situation.

The main issue I have is that while there's some tidbits to indicate Marshall is reluctant, there are some to indicate Smart is interested. Those reports could be false to, but it seems Texas talked to Smart and he didn't sign there (yet) either. So, in the very least the Texas thing wasn't a perfect marriage, in the same way Marshall wasn't a perfect one for us.

My concern has become that Alabama went after the wrong coach/Smart's interest (if any) will wane after Alabama fails to show interest for a while. The problem is that after Marshall/Smart, the list kind of falls off a cliff. There is no good plan c, and I just hope Alabama plays this right...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
IIRC, he wanted the South Carolina job when Frank Martin was hired, so he didn't go to WSU to escape the South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biggest reason it seems he left Winthrop was because he knew he hit his ceiling, that no matter how many wins he gets a year they could only be getting a 13/14 seed at best and he basically had no shot to win a game in the NCAA Tourney which is really what happened.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Biggest reason it seems he left Winthrop was because he knew he hit his ceiling, that no matter how many wins he gets a year they could only be getting a 13/14 seed at best and he basically had no shot to win a game in the NCAA Tourney which is really what happened.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon
True, with one caveat: Winthrop ousted a very good Notre Dame team in the first round before going nose to nose with Oregon and losing. By then a lot of folks had stopped scheduling them out-of-conference.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I want somebody that is excited to be here and has the full, ENTHUSIASTIC support of their family. If that's CGM then fine, if not I say we move on.
I am going with this. If he goes to Austin or stays in Wichita we thank him for his time and start the process again. Contrary to what we think not everybody wants to live and work in Tuscaloosa. We only see what we see, not everyone is in love with the University of Alabama. Different strokes for different folks. Did that date me?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I am going with this. If he goes to Austin or stays in Wichita we thank him for his time and start the process again. Contrary to what we think not everybody wants to live and work in Tuscaloosa. We only see what we see, not everyone is in love with the University of Alabama. Different strokes for different folks. Did that date me?
You're ancient! But you make a good point.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I understand that CGM is 'our guy', but I hope CBB would have said something like 'Gregg, we want you. But out of respect for our program, we need an answer by noon Wed, or we take it as a 'no''

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I understand that CGM is 'our guy', but I hope CBB would have said something like 'Gregg, we want you. But out of respect for our program, we need an answer by noon Wed, or we take it as a 'no''

How do you know he didn't?

How do we know others haven't been contacted?

Truth is we don't.

All these comments of negativity are simply 100% speculation. If nothing happens today I'll be surprised.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Supposedly the deadline is Friday. I would expect an answer before then, my gut feeling yesterday was that we will know something by noon today. With the lack of news yesterday I will stick with my prediction of noon today but I would not bet any money on it. If it drags out today like it did yesterday then I will start to get more concerned that this isn't happening. However, it might be a done deal and they are waiting until closer to the final 4 to make the big announcement.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Supposedly the deadline is Friday. I would expect an answer before then, my gut feeling yesterday was that we will know something by noon today. With the lack of news yesterday I will stick with my prediction of noon today but I would not bet any money on it. If it drags out today like it did yesterday then I will start to get more concerned that this isn't happening. However, it might be a done deal and they are waiting until closer to the final 4 to make the big announcement.
Gosh, an entire week, especially if the negotiations/offers happened last week, seems like a long time

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.