New coach search...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This thread has gotten pretty deep with the analysis of Battle's facial expressions!!![emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Battle staying in Wichita all day tells me CGM is interested and had lots of questions. That may be the longest I have ever seen an AD meet with someone. To me that is a very good sign. It means the conversation was flowing from both parties, not just one. From what I know about GM, I would have been disappointed if he did not ask to talk over with his family. Who know, they may have come in later in afternoon to ask questions and listen as well. He could go either way but I get the feel he is approaching the process the right way for all parties involved. His family, players and school.

Even if we dont land him I love the way this all was handled.

PS. I think he will be rolling with the Tide

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Just me but I'd want a night to talk it over with my family, pray about it, sleep on it, and then thank the Wichita St. family and my players before departing...if I was indeed taking the new opportunity.
I'm with you. I'm just saying that, even if Marshall had 100% made up his mind to come, I think he owes it to his players to tell them himself.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
What would be wrong with hiring him if the big dogs don't want to be here?

I've noticed that you have been totally against Barnes as a back-up hire. He took the Horns to the NCAA's 16 of his 17 years there. Yes, he didn't make it to the Big Dance: Final Four. Would Alabama not be satisfied with going to the NCAA's 16 of the next 17 years. He has been at Bama previously as an assistant many moons ago. He is no Coach K or Coach Izzo or Coach Williams. He doesn't seem to have the fire in his belly like those three.

So, bottom line, what is it that is so bad about Barnes? Is it he's lacking in skills to teach the game to his players and to motivate them to excel? In his last game, he did look old and worn out.
Already been over this many pages ago. Go back and read them if you want my thoughts on him.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The Barnes thing is over, but really to me is illustrates more maturity in terms of coaching hires within the SEC. Perhaps the influx of SEC Network funds, or Slive's comments lit the fire under some programs, but a lot of them had a habit of hiring from mid-majors instead of going with proven coaches. Sure, that works sometimes, but it's a gamble and one that won't pay off that often. Tennessee going after Barnes (who by the way has as many NCAA appearances in the last 20 years as Alabama has, ever), Miss. State after Howland, and even Auburn getting Pearl illustrates that the SEC is getting serious about basketball. Love or hate those guys, they can recruit.

I've seen superficial and pertinent reasons people say those sort of guys shouldn't be hired, but the bottom line is they all are potentially dangerous. I'm very happy Alabama doesn't have Grant right now, he'd be the proverbial knife to a gunfight. I think Marshall+Alabama's resources will give Alabama the capacity to in the least hold their own with those guys to, and I think/hope we have a lot to look forward to.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think what you will see is an overall rise in the league RPI and more tournament slots because of it, but the records may not change much as far as the regular season goes.

rtr

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think what you will see is an overall rise in the league RPI and more tournament slots because of it, but the records may not change much as far as the regular season goes.

rtr
I think you're right, and it could benefit Alabama to have better coaches in the SEC. If you have a guy who knows how to get to the NCAA tournament, he also knows how to boost his RPI, and if he knows how to boost his RPI, your RPI will also be boosted by playing them. That's a key component to a "proven" coach, I remember Gottfried early on for instance winning 25, and not making the NCAA tournament. A couple years later, Alabama only wins 17 and goes to the tournament, having learned that beating teams with low RPIs is less than worthless.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
"Marshall’s most consistent standard for a new job is that it not be a rebuilding situation."

Huh!? The only scenario I can think of where this would be applicable is when Roy Williams left Kansas to go to UNC. An opening at a high profile program without a rebuilding situation happens about as often as a 100 year flood. Every 100 years.

Obviously, I think the writer is wrong here. I would describe our situation as a retooling rather than rebuilding. We did have 18 wins over D1 opponents this year. My guess is that when we played WSU back in December, he saw that we had some talent he could work with.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Obviously, I think the writer is wrong here. I would describe our situation as a retooling rather than rebuilding. We did have 18 wins over D1 opponents this year. My guess is that when we played WSU back in December, he saw that we had some talent he could work with.
Think about it. What team is hiring a coach because they are doing well and have loads of talent?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.