New coach search...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It probably didn't help our signees for this year...
I would still be blowing up Smart's (and his agents) phone, and either make Texas outbid us, or make him say no. I don't care what he has agreed to in principal, unless he has signed a contract he is fair game.

As far as other candidates, if Little Pitino is even on our short list then this search is a catastrophe waiting to happen...if I say much more I might get suspended, and i would prefer not to.

If you want to put feelers out for Miller, what do you have to lose at this point? I would personally look Hurley's way if you are going that route too. I understand some people want a splash hire (Avery Johnson, Mark Jackson, a big name like that), but those guys would just be using this job as a stepping stone back to the NBA I would assume...and I don't know if that is the direction we need to really go, or if that is even within our grasp honestly.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
This has been handled... poorly...
Agree fully. Any businessman knows you have to have a succession plan. You have to know if "X happens"...I have multiple action plans ready to implement. Correct me if I'm wrong...but, didn't we fire Grant? Did we have only one plan...terminate Grant and go after Marshall. And then why would you issue a statement basically saying we struck out on our first choice. If I am a quality, successful coach I wouldn't even consider being the second choice unless I am a Richard Pittino or Steve Prohm type. Very disappointing.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
This has been handled... poorly...
Agreed. While applauding CBB for knowing who he wanted and going after him with abandon (and leaving aside the issue of whether this situation was ever analogous to CMM & CNS), it's reasonable to suggest that this result is the risk you run when you:

• Keep your own counsel
  • Don't use a search firm to hide your tracks at least a little bit

And no, I'm not a search consultant...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If BB offered north of $4 million, how did he handle it poorly? From where I stand, I think that was, if true, more than reasonable, and pretty much handing him the keys to the vault.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The simple fact is this:

It has nothing to do with "Alabama offering $4 million and couldn't get a quality coach to come here." Marshall's intent was to float the trial balloon of listening to some "crazy" offer as a means to milk extra dollars and a contract extension from WSU. He didn't care about "$4 million". Marshall got what he wanted; More money and getting to stay in Wichita. In order to lose, you have to be "in the game". We were never "in the game".

And to be honest ADBB got played letting this thing drag on until today. A good salesman knows the answer to the question before he asks it. He should have never got on the plane with being reasonably certain the answer was "yes".

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I believe at this juncture we have no choice but to repeat what we did 6 yrs ago and take a chance on an unproven coach from a low tier school and pay him in the $2 million/yr neighborhood and hope he succeeds. It's pretty obvious to me that until we physically demonstrate that we are fully committed to basketball with state of the art facilities AND ARENA we are not going to vy for a top shelf BB coach.
Do you think Gregg Marshall would have come to Alabama if we had a state of the art arena?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Wichita Eagle reports we offered $4.2 - 4.9 million. He handled it poorly by not bringing him back Monday or not telling him to make a decision faster.
I agree. It could be a situation where ADBB didn't think he could possibly turn it down. He was probably willing to wait because we thought we had our man.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah, I think "not handling it well" is in the fact that we got played by CGM and Battle seemingly had NO plan B in progress. It dragged out for a week, while all of us were sitting here on our hands waiting for Christmas to come when in reality there was no Santa showing up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Any talk about what Bama could have one different or the perception of the program don't matter now. It's obvious - Marshall played Bill Battle for more money. That's what happened. Nothing was bringing him to Tuscaloosa.

bamafan157

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 22, 2008
Tuscaloosa
Agree fully. Any businessman knows you have to have a succession plan. You have to know if "X happens"...I have multiple action plans ready to implement. Correct me if I'm wrong...but, didn't we fire Grant? Did we have only one plan...terminate Grant and go after Marshall. And then why would you issue a statement basically saying we struck out on our first choice. If I am a quality, successful coach I wouldn't even consider being the second choice unless I am a Richard Pittino or Steve Prohm type. Very disappointing.
Yeah, I'm not sure what he was thinking going all in with Marshall. I can understand giving the man some time to think about it. It's a big decision. However, it is less justifiable when we already had to wait two weeks to even speak to Marshall. IMO, we should have had a Plan 1a (Marshall) and Plan 1b (Smart). If both of them had turned us down, then it would be a little easier to make a hire in the next tier down. That being said, I would be completely fine with Prohm, and I think it would be a decent hire. It would be a pretty safe one. I hear that Prohm could sell the program to the fans as good as anybody. That's the first step, if we're going to make it to the next level. I also think he could provide program stability. At the very least, I don't think he would do any worse than Grant. If he isn't successful, then the new AD can make a change. However, I think he can be successful.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I am telling you this is the cost of getting our program pulled out of the ditch. I think this ought to show us all that the problems and perceptions run deep with our program. Sure we can be good again but it's going to take ALOT of work.
If what you say is true, and to a degree I believe it is, we may be forced to go out and find our own version of CGM. Just like WSU, we're going to have to find "that guy" who is willing to take the challenge of building this program. Granted, I tend to think it's going to be a "lesser name" though... have also heard Miller's name being on the short list, though not sure if it's 2nd or 3rd.

Here's what concerns me though. I'm pretty sure we assured CGM he'd almost have an unlimited amount of resources if he came. Was that solely a deal with him? I say that because if we bring in a lesser name, we're going to have to be even MORE committed to that idea than before. Do we decide somewhere between excellent and mediocre will be acceptable or are we truly serious about this matter of putting UA BB on the map? I'm hoping we don't settle...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Any talk about what Bama could have one different or the perception of the program don't matter now. It's obvious - Marshall played Bill Battle for more money. That's what happened. Nothing was bringing him to Tuscaloosa.
Correct. Except he played WSU for more money. The "crazy offer" was the vehicle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.