New coach search...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think "control of the program" would be a huge factor for any coach with Marshall level status.
I can't imagine him taking the Texas job, especially the way the boosters do seem to try and interfere and utilize their influence.
The only way they'll get him is if he's ready to leave and it's all about the money.
I really don't perceive him as that type of person.
sip
Look at what's happening to their last coach. Something like 14 out of 15 years he went to the NCAA tournament, out of that, something like 11 times he advanced to at least the second round. He has one third of their elite 8 appearances, half of their NCAA appearances, a third of their final four appearances, half of their sweet 16 appearances, and the most wins in school history. We're talking about accomplishments going back to 1939, and in 15 years Barnes managed to have success comparable to the previous 60. You'd think with that resume that they'd at least wait until he had a bad year. Nope, he went to the second round of the NCAA tournament and in response they tried to force him to change assistants.

With that, and the Mack Brown situation, Marshall goes there if he wants more resources, but not if he wants to be left alone that's for sure. I guess this will show us if Marshall is the right fit for Alabama or not. If Texas can lure him away now, that means with success at Alabama, then North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc... probably would have a great shot as well. Alabama can give him what he wants, if relatively low pressure, autonomy, and the resources of a power conference team with a lot of money are what he wants. If all he wants is the most money or the best recruits, then Alabama might not be the best fit.

Edit: I know this doesn't seem popular, but if Marshall and Shaka Smart are off the table for Alabama, I think the only thing to do is to punt and see if you can make things work with Barnes. He's proven, he won't be there for long, and he'd give a new AD a chance to bring in his own guy when the time is right. He'd also probably be the right guy to bring in good recruits and help guide some improvements, I'd like to think Alabama would swallow their pride and do it vs. just jumping at some unproven mid-major guy (or just because he has a famous name... that didn't work last time).

Last edited:

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I do not want a coach who's heart is not in it, Period. I don't care how good he thinks he is, if he doesn't think Bama is his dream job, then Good Luck wherever. Bama is bigger than Marshall, or any other of these yo-yos

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think "control of the program" would be a huge factor for any coach with Marshall level status.
I can't imagine him taking the Texas job, especially the way the boosters do seem to try and interfere and utilize their influence.
The only way they'll get him is if he's ready to leave and it's all about the money.
I really don't perceive him as that type of person.
sip
I thought about that too, and hope you're right. UTw is one of the few who can stay with us on money. Autonomy? Not so much.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I said a couple of days ago that Texas was the only potential job opening that concerned me with regards to getting Marshall. But I will continue to believe that we have an outstanding offer on the table with Marshall and that he will accept it. Time will tell. I won't lose much sleep over it either way it goes but I should would like to be excited about UA basketball again.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The same Forde article also says Grant is Shaka's former boss, which is incorrect. I remember sources also saying Nick Saban wasn't coming.
If that is the case though (about Marshall), it's better Alabama find out now. It's like two guys dating the same girl, if she's really not that into one of them, better he finds out in the first date vs. taking her out on dates for a few months and then finding out. If he said that, Alabama can focus solely on Smart and that's that. I think he's less of a sure thing, but there are advantages to Smart as well, if he does pan out he could be that lifelong coach Alabama wants, and Alabama can afford to keep giving him raises. He also has more familiarity with the area, so one would argue he might hit the ground running better though.

Beyond that though? Ouch, Barnes or... c'mon a super expensive and sup-par Crean (the best thing to say about him is that the only people who dislike him are Indiana fans). Who knows though, may be some guy comes out of the woodwork and says hey, I heard you were offering 3 million for a new coach... that's top ten money, that would be a big raise for most coaches. Heck, there are several NBA coaches making less than that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Drew Champlin retweeted
John Talty@JTalty 5m5 minutes ago
Gregg Marshall has told Alabama not to bother and has eyes set on Texas per @YahooForde: http://yhoo.it/1Hd6DmG
Just a slight correction to your post. Nobody has told Pat Forde directly that Alabama shouldn't waste their energy pursuing Marshall. It's from Pat Forde's "sources." Your post makes it sound like Gregg Mashall has told Alabama directly to not pursue him, and as far as I can tell that isn't the case or at least has not been verified by anyone that will go on the record and say it. Below is the snippet from the article..

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I would hope that richard pitino is not an option Battle is considering but I take this report with a grain of salt. Usually cecil is pretty up to speed on things. I hope to hear or see something from him soon.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well heck! Thought there was a deal done. I think he had indicated as much, but maybe he perceives UTw as a better opportunity. They have had more recent success, but it appears they are not paying as much. UTw has a ton of issues for the coaches there. Hope he calls Barnes and asks about the administration booster interference.

Hope we can still sway him! Not excited about Pitino. A 32 year old kid who has not had a lot of success at Minnesota. I'd rather have Prohm.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Look at what's happening to their last coach. Something like 14 out of 15 years he went to the NCAA tournament, out of that, something like 11 times he advanced to at least the second round. He has one third of their elite 8 appearances, half of their NCAA appearances, a third of their final four appearances, half of their sweet 16 appearances, and the most wins in school history. We're talking about accomplishments going back to 1939, and in 15 years Barnes managed to have success comparable to the previous 60. You'd think with that resume that they'd at least wait until he had a bad year. Nope, he went to the second round of the NCAA tournament and in response they tried to force him to change assistants.

With that, and the Mack Brown situation, Marshall goes there if he wants more resources, but not if he wants to be left alone that's for sure. I guess this will show us if Marshall is the right fit for Alabama or not. If Texas can lure him away now, that means with success at Alabama, then North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc... probably would have a great shot as well. Alabama can give him what he wants, if relatively low pressure, autonomy, and the resources of a power conference team with a lot of money are what he wants. If all he wants is the most money or the best recruits, then Alabama might not be the best fit.

Edit: I know this doesn't seem popular, but if Marshall and Shaka Smart are off the table for Alabama, I think the only thing to do is to punt and see if you can make things work with Barnes. He's proven, he won't be there for long, and he'd give a new AD a chance to bring in his own guy when the time is right. He'd also probably be the right guy to bring in good recruits and help guide some improvements, I'd like to think Alabama would swallow their pride and do it vs. just jumping at some unproven mid-major guy (or just because he has a famous name... that didn't work last time).
Total agreement

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Some give the impression that if we fail to get Marshall we'll have to "settle" for someone else, like it's failing to get John Wooden and having to "settle" for David Hobbs. That ain't the way it is, by a long shot.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Barnes had 402 wins and made the tourney 16 out of 17 years a slew of sweet 16 and FF and he's out! Dude, Tejas is thinking they'll be UK next year with Marshall. I doubt he has any idea what those boosters are like in Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.